New Eisenhorn

Never_born

How does Pariah fit into the rest? I'm almost done with the Ravenor Omnibus and wondering if I should go to Magos next or Pariah. Also, are the shorts in Magos you mentioned the same shorts in the Eisenhorn Omnibus? I forget their names but the PTSD'd couple of IG that are killing people, the warp corrupted painting, the little meet up between Ravenor and Eisenhorn.

They are and are sort of relevant to the Magos novella itself.

Honestly which to read first is a difficult question. If you read the Magos first a lot of the stuff in Pariah will cohere better and seem like less of a series of sudden mysterious proper nouns. On the the other hand that sense of shocking alienation, of 'what the hell is going on', that Pariah brings is pretty cool. The Magos doesn't spoil Pariah but reading it first would, to my mind, reduce some of Pariah's immediate effect.

How does Pariah fit into the rest? I'm almost done with the Ravenor Omnibus and wondering if I should go to Magos next or Pariah. Also, are the shorts in Magos you mentioned the same shorts in the Eisenhorn Omnibus? I forget their names but the PTSD'd couple of IG that are killing people, the warp corrupted painting, the little meet up between Ravenor and Eisenhorn.

They are and are sort of relevant to the Magos novella itself.

Honestly which to read first is a difficult question. If you read the Magos first a lot of the stuff in Pariah will cohere better and seem like less of a series of sudden mysterious proper nouns. On the the other hand that sense of shocking alienation, of 'what the hell is going on', that Pariah brings is pretty cool. The Magos doesn't spoil Pariah but reading it first would, to my mind, reduce some of Pariah's immediate effect.

I agree - you could read chronologically but I really do think you get a LOT out of reading Pariah cold/first as it totally throws you off balance (as is intended because that is what is happening to the lead character).

A lot of people didn't like Pariah when it came out with some saying "it doesn't feel like W40k" but I have always absolutely loved it.

The shorts are the same as the omnibus ones, though they added a few (Perihelion, The Keeler Image, The Curiosity, The Gardens of Tycho and The Strange Demise of Titus Endor, as well as Master Imus' Transgression and Regia Occulta).

Master Imus and Regia Occulta were previously on the audio drama, The Gardens of Tycho and The Curiosity in Fear the Alien and Deathwing, I believe. Perihelion and The Keeler Image were digital only before, and Titus Endor was a launch title in Hammer & Bolter and printed in the first H&B omnibus and iirc the There is Only War omnibus.

So any way you look at it, it's fantastic to have them all in one place!

Pariah is set chronologically after The Magos, and The Magos has A LOT of background on it, but depending on whether you want the authentic mystery experience from 6 years ago or not, you may want to read Pariah first. It drops you in with A LOT of confusion and puzzling over what is going on may end up enjoyable to you. It didn't work for nearly everyone, though. The protagonist of Pariah is also neither Eisenhorn nor Ravenor, despite it being the Ravenor vs Eisenhorn trilogy.

A case could be made for you to start on Pariah first and then decide whether or not you want to continue or switch over after a few chapters, depending on how you like being dropped in without context.

I have never run into a fiction series where I would suggest a new reader try anything other than publication order*, so I'd definitely read Pariah before The Magos if you haven't read either.

* The classic example, so influential that at least the edition I read as a kid was numbered this way, is to read the Chronicles of Narnia in internal chronological order (i.e. starting with The Magician's Nephew, moving onto The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and the other Pevensey/Eustace stories, finishing up with The Last Battle), but this is completely wrongheaded in my opinion.

Read Pariah before Magos.

Magos is like a good side story to explain the gaps between the ends of the previous trilogies and the beginning of Pariah. But it will reduce the thriller detective "is he or isn't he, will they or won't they, how did we get here" kind of stuff that makes it so awesome.

So what ? I would like to know which stories from Magos.

OK, so, all of them?

Black Orange what folks are saying is that ALL of the short stories and ALL of the Eisenhorn and Ravenor novels contain overarching plot points and underpinning themes and subtext that contribute to and lead into (directly and indirectly) Pariah. Dan Abnett is building a meta story and greater mythos that will all climax in the third Bequin book Pandemonium.

I don't have the book in front of me but this is from reddit and seems accurate. Hope it helps;

075 (M41) – ‘Pestilence’

198 – Gregor Eisenhorn born, DeKere’s World.

Circa 219 – Endor and Eisenhorn serve as interrogators under Inquisitor Hapshant.‘Master Imus’ Transgression’

222 – Eisenhorn appointed full inquisitor.

223 – ‘Regia Occulta’

240 – Xenos 241 – ‘Missing in Action’

304 – Gideon Ravenor born.

312 – Midas Betancore dies. His daughter Medea is an infant.

Circa 345 – Malleus – Ravenor crippled.

346 – Ravenor appointed full inquisitor.

355 – ‘Backcloth For A Crown Additional’

Circa 360 – ‘The Strange Demise of Titus Endor’

386 – Hereticus

402 – Ravenor – ‘Thorn Wishes Talon’ Circa

403 – Ravenor Returned – Valentin Drusher born.

404 – Ravenor Rogue

441 – Magos Drusher arrives on Gershom to begin taxonomy.

448 – ‘The Curiosity’

450 – Medea Betancore disappears.

455 – ‘Gardens of Tycho’

461 – Alizebeth Bequin’s stasis-suspended body reported missing.

Circa 465 – ‘The Keeler Image’ Circa

470 – ‘Perihelion’

Circa 475 – The Magos

477 – Beta Bequin “born”, Sancour, Angelus Subsector.

Circa 480 – Eisenhorn arrives on Sancour. Medea begins watching Beta.

Circa 495 – Ravenor arrives on Sancour Circa

500 – Pariah

I don't have the book in front of me but this is from reddit and seems accurate. Hope it helps;

075 (M41) – ‘Pestilence’

198 – Gregor Eisenhorn born, DeKere’s World.

Circa 219 – Endor and Eisenhorn serve as interrogators under Inquisitor Hapshant.‘Master Imus’ Transgression’

222 – Eisenhorn appointed full inquisitor.

223 – ‘Regia Occulta’

240 – Xenos 241 – ‘Missing in Action’

304 – Gideon Ravenor born.

312 – Midas Betancore dies. His daughter Medea is an infant.

Circa 345 – Malleus – Ravenor crippled.

346 – Ravenor appointed full inquisitor.

355 – ‘Backcloth For A Crown Additional’

Circa 360 – ‘The Strange Demise of Titus Endor’

386 – Hereticus

402 – Ravenor – ‘Thorn Wishes Talon’ Circa

403 – Ravenor Returned – Valentin Drusher born.

404 – Ravenor Rogue

441 – Magos Drusher arrives on Gershom to begin taxonomy.

448 – ‘The Curiosity’

450 – Medea Betancore disappears.

455 – ‘Gardens of Tycho’

461 – Alizebeth Bequin’s stasis-suspended body reported missing.

Circa 465 – ‘The Keeler Image’ Circa

470 – ‘Perihelion’

Circa 475 – The Magos

477 – Beta Bequin “born”, Sancour, Angelus Subsector.

Circa 480 – Eisenhorn arrives on Sancour. Medea begins watching Beta.

Circa 495 – Ravenor arrives on Sancour Circa

500 – Pariah

Thanks, hopefully Pariah will get an audio soon :)

Archived