New Eisenhorn

Never_born

And some of the things that need complaining, they don't get any.

Ah, my apologies, I didn’t realise you were the arbitrator of what can or can’t be complained about.

I think his point which is an opinion is valid.

I loved the Magos, but if someone wasn’t keen on it being 3rd person instead of 1st person from Eisenhorns POV, that’s a perfectly valid opinion.

It is a shame some folks enjoyed the story The Magos less because it wasn't first person. I get why they might be disappointed. Personally it didn't bother me at all because having read all the shorts first you get that mix of first and third person and it became clear early on to me that this was a story about observing which is what Drusher's character is all about.

If I had any complaint then it is only a nitpick... I think they should have called the anthology "The Magos - and Case Files of the Scarus Sector Inquisition" as we have Ravenor stories in there and the Drusher stories etc.

I loled people complaining about the PoV when most if not all the SS have been published years ago .

I don’t read short stories or ebooks so I’m commenting on the whole thing as it was all new to me.

I understand some people liked the change in perspective, I didn’t. I would rather he had stuck to a perspective that people obviously enjoyed in the previous books. He didn’t. I still love Eisenhorn and Ravenor they are up there in my favourite books I’ve ever read. Magos was a miss for me I didn’t enjoy it at all for a host of reasons the perspective being one but it’s only one book out them all so it’s not too bad! Mostly it just didn’t feel like an Eisenhorn book.

Anyway enough complaining, onwards to Bequin!

And some of the things that need complaining, they don't get any.

Ah, my apologies, I didn’t realise you were the arbitrator of what can or can’t be complained about.
You should know better. I will accept your apology this time.

Mr. Orange said something that I agreed on "some people just need something to complain about". So I further added - with my own opinion - saying that certain books or elements/parts of certain books should be frowned upon and complained more often, rather than left unchallenged.

I think at this point seeing inside Eisenhorn's head would be redundant. We know his rationalisations for his behaviour and we know broadly how he would react to situations. Seeing perspectives on him that aren't his tells us a lot more about his character than we would otherwise see. In that sense, The Magos was very interesting. It definitely felt like an extended short though (which it was).

Also I would be very disappointed if any of the theories mentioned before came to fruition. The whole series has never really been about the big figures in 40k. It never needed them to feel big and I would be disappointed if they resorted to that.

I don’t understand your reply here at all. How can a persons perspective on a brand new story be redundant because we know how they responded within the frame of a different story? That doesn’t make any sense to me.

I also don’t think patience kys and her sisters are major character within 40k. They are completely planted entirely within the world of Eisenhorn

Because we've read three books of his perspective we can reasonably see inside his mind. Yes there would be new things to explore, but it has diminishing returns. Having a different perspective on Eisenhrn was much more interesting, even if I didn't particularly like Drusher.

I think his point which is an opinion is valid.

But we know what he thinks is worth complaining about - that Eisenhorn is unlikeable as a character because he's old and is losing his hair. :rolleyes:

I never said Eisenhorn was unlikable.

I was just stating what I thought seemed unrealistic - that Eisenhorn's hair didn't seem to grow back.

I repeat, I never said nor expressed negative things towards him, only a few things that appeared off to me (me, myself, my worthless opinion).

Why you bother to try and understand my mind, Mr. Ascanius, is a mystery to me..... Do you like me or something?

I mean you can have hair transplants now, it is hardly implausible.

Somehow I don’t see Eisenhorn getting hair transplants. I just don’t see him as a sunbed type guy rubbing snake oil on his scalp in some vain attempt to get his beautiful hair back.

Perhaps he moisturises his scalp but hair extensions.... never.

I loved the novel, as well as the short stories. The way in which Abnett linked them together was brilliant, and cemented Gregor as the best character he has created. The chapter in which Eisenhorn undergoes the Torment is absolutely fantastic. Unlike many here, I read this before Pariah, and I think it improved my enjoyment of that novel as well. The references to subjects like the Yellow King and Graels made more sense, and in general it helped me navigate the dizzying array of factions vying for control.

Because we've read three books of his perspective we can reasonably see inside his mind. Yes there would be new things to explore, but it has diminishing returns. Having a different perspective on Eisenhrn was much more interesting, even if I didn't particularly like Drusher.

What didn't you like about Drusher? I quite enjoyed his perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

What didn't you like about Drusher? I quite enjoyed his perspective.

I thought his character worked brilliantly in the story as a (sort of) counterpoint to Eisenhorn. There's a fantastic line in the Torment chapter, about Drusher and Eisenhorn, which I think neatly sums up the whole point of the character... 

'...He had given up, you see, far too early and far too easily. But he intuitively saw in me a man who had failed in completely the opposite way...'

• 1 month later...

Just to be clear, I need to read Eisenhorn and Ravenor series before Magos, right?

I haven’t read the Ravenor series and I still loved this, but I think you’d get the most out of it if you had read them. I wouldn’t say essential though, personally.

I'd recommend reading Eisenhorn and Ravenor but keeping a copy of The Magos at the ready, and reading the short stories (outside of the Drusher ones) between the novels, chronologically.

Ravenor sets up the antagonists in a much bigger way than The Magos can on its own, and gives a lot of background on why Eisenhorn would be hunting them. The Ravenor trilogy also talks about Gregor's intervening activities, which I'd say is important enough, considering Hereticus ends rather abruptly.

You CAN read The Magos without Ravenor, but really, I wouldn't recommend it. You'd miss out on quite a few references throughout the novel, let alone the short stories, and lack proper context for characters that appear.

How does Pariah fit into the rest? I'm almost done with the Ravenor Omnibus and wondering if I should go to Magos next or Pariah. Also, are the shorts in Magos you mentioned the same shorts in the Eisenhorn Omnibus? I forget their names but the PTSD'd couple of IG that are killing people, the warp corrupted painting, the little meet up between Ravenor and Eisenhorn.

Archived