Plague Marines

Daemon2027

If you want a good amount of CP you'll have to take Death Guard Troop choices anyway so the question is not Poxwalker or Plaguebearer but instead Poxwalker, Plague Marines or Cultists. However that's not exactly the topic of this thread I think.

You do need a demon detachment for plague bearers though (assuming you don't want to lose your DG legion benefits) - and that can affect how many CPs you can squeeze in. That goes double if you're trying to squeeze in a CSM or renegades detachment for fire support/warptime. Plus of course it restricts which strats/buffs you can use on what. Sure, you probably don't want to have characters just to buff poxwalkers (bar typhus, obvs) but if you're buffing plague marines say and your poxwalkers can benefit too, so much the better.

So when comparing in isolation I'd agree that PB are better for the points, but as part of a mostly-DG force? That's a tougher one and rather depends on what else you're bringing for synergies. And it's not like an immune-to-morale unit with DR that's still pretty cheap doesn't have its uses.

Personally I'll take poxwalkers because I've got 40 of them and only a couple of ancient metal PBs :smile.:

Eh, you can run a pretty cheap daemon patrol/battalion:

One herald and thirty Plaguebearers won't set you back too much. It won't be giving you CP or ObSec Plaguebearers (yet), but I do feel that Plaguebearers are stronger than Poxwalkers in a couple of circumstances.

Also we have no clue as to what the Daemon Codex entails. If they get some wicked stratagems/relics/psychic powers, it might shift things further towards Plaguebearers. At the moment it's a toss up between synergy and independence. Poxwalkers have lots of interactions with Death Guard and benefit a lot from factional rules but also need more support to function effectively (Typhus is borderline mandatory imo, and he can't be everywhere at once). Plaguebearers have barely any synergy with Death Guard, but will do the same jobs poxwalkers do better without support from characters/psychic powers.

At least that's my take on it.

You do need a demon detachment for plague bearers though (assuming you don't want to lose your DG legion benefits) - and that can affect how many CPs you can squeeze in. That goes double if you're trying to squeeze in a CSM or renegades detachment for fire support/warptime. Plus of course it restricts which strats/buffs you can use on what. Sure, you probably don't want to have characters just to buff poxwalkers (bar typhus, obvs) but if you're buffing plague marines say and your poxwalkers can benefit too, so much the better.

So when comparing in isolation I'd agree that PB are better for the points, but as part of a mostly-DG force? That's a tougher one and rather depends on what else you're bringing for synergies. And it's not like an immune-to-morale unit with DR that's still pretty cheap doesn't have its uses.

Personally I'll take poxwalkers because I've got 40 of them and only a couple of ancient metal PBs :smile.:

Eh, you can run a pretty cheap daemon patrol/battalion:

One herald and thirty Plaguebearers won't set you back too much. It won't be giving you CP or ObSec Plaguebearers (yet), but I do feel that Plaguebearers are stronger than Poxwalkers in a couple of circumstances.

Also we have no clue as to what the Daemon Codex entails. If they get some wicked stratagems/relics/psychic powers, it might shift things further towards Plaguebearers. At the moment it's a toss up between synergy and independence. Poxwalkers have lots of interactions with Death Guard and benefit a lot from factional rules but also need more support to function effectively (Typhus is borderline mandatory imo, and he can't be everywhere at once). Plaguebearers have barely any synergy with Death Guard, but will do the same jobs poxwalkers do better without support from characters/psychic powers.

At least that's my take on it.

Didn't they 'patch' obsec by adding it to every troop choice in the game? I thought I saw a blurb on the GW site about that.

Is the plague Brethren an actual legal unit I can use in games??? The set actually has an actual dataslate for the unit which has the unit only containing a champion and 2 plague marines one of which has a meltagun. 74pts for the small 3 man unit which is probably dumb having in larger games but for smaller games could be nice if you were wanting a battalion and trying to field only plague marines as troops

Is the plague Brethren an actual legal unit I can use in games??? The set actually has an actual dataslate for the unit which has the unit only containing a champion and 2 plague marines one of which has a meltagun. 74pts for the small 3 man unit which is probably dumb having in larger games but for smaller games could be nice if you were wanting a battalion and trying to field only plague marines as troops

It has power points too. Would be funny to have 20 units of plague marines.

Edited by bozo69pd

I think units of 5 marines with 2 blight launchers will be the go to unit.

Not sure there are enough ablative wounds in a 5 man squad slogging across the field. I'm running with 7 and either 2 blight launchers or 3 plasma. Right now the plan is 2x 7 man shooty squads with launchers slogging, 1x 7 man squad w/ 3 plasma in a rhino and 1x 7 man CC squad in a rhino.

I'll keep the slogging squads close with some of the special elite characters to buff them as they advance, and use the rhinos to rush objectives. either my opponent will concentrate the rhinos giving my slogging troops enough time to advance or vice versa. The slogging troops will be screened by either Poxwalkers or Plaguebearers.

Edited by Mack

Not sure there are enough ablative wounds in a 5 man squad slogging across the field. I'm running with 7 and either 2 blight launchers or 3 plasma. Right now the plan is 2x 7 man shooty squads with launchers slogging, 1x 7 man squad w/ 3 plasma in a rhino and 1x 7 man CC squad in a rhino.

I'll keep the slogging squads close with some of the special elite characters to buff them as they advance, and use the rhinos to rush objectives. either my opponent will concentrate the rhinos giving my slogging troops enough time to advance or vice versa. The slogging troops will be screened by either Poxwalkers or Plaguebearers.

Think you are arguing the same thing...  I could be wrong.

He is saying 5 bolters and 2 blight launchers

you are saying 7 PM's with 2 blight launcher

I am thinking 

4 bolters

2 blight launchers

1 flail (?)

No i meant 5 marines in the squad total. I know 7 is a sacred number and all, but to me is it mostly a 3rd edtion fad:).

Of course there are many ways to play the new codex(which is great), but i dont see marines with bolters being something that is worth taking a lot of. I think the points are better spent on our new daemon engines and blightlord termies. The way i envision the army, plaguemarines wont be the priority target for the enemy, and buying expensive ablative wounds that can only fire bolters...seems a waste. 

Yes they have their own dataslate which details that unit as having x3 Plague Marines in it. I'm thinking about including it in my lists as well..

Would the DG add numbers back to a unit that had taken losses? I'm wondering if there is a fluff basis I could use for that unit of 3, like they are the last remaining of that particular squad. 

Why are people using plague marines in combat as they've a solitary attack each unless I'm missing something? (Very, very likely!)

Because they are durable enough to endure more than one round of fighting so they don't have to wipe their target the turn they charge.

Are they one of the best melee units? Surely not. Doesn't mean they aren't decent in melee tho. ;)

I've seen many people run PMs with 3x Plasma. Any reason to do so instead of taking 2x Blight Launchers and Combi-Plasma on the Sarge? They are only 1 point more but you always have your 2 shots and they don't kill themselves if they roll 1s. 

Against bikers, Primaris Marines, monsters and multi-wound infantry the Blight Launcher is king as it allows me to sit my PMs on an objective in cover and just shoot away. 

3x plasma has better synergy than 2x blight and 1x plasma, as one of the main perks of taking blight launchers is that you are able to advance and fire with no penalties. I wouldn't bother with a plasma gun on the champion if you're taking blight launchers. Overcharging plasma, while risky, is somewhat alleviated if you have a Daemon Prince/Lord/Morty nearby, and boosting the strength of plasma to 8 means that you'll wound things like Primaris marines/Terminators on 2's (as opposed to the 3's with re-rolls of 1's of Blight) and ensure a kill every time a shot goes through. 18 inch rapid fire range is nothing to laugh at, either.

Not that I'm saying Plasma > Blight, but yeah, it has its place.

The bubonic axe is a poison power axe basically, for something like 5 points per model. It makes a PM attacks get +1. Then you cast the blades of putrifaction power on them so that 6's deal EXTRA mortal wounds. Then you have a Nurgle DP near them so they reroll 1's to hit. Then you have Morty near them (or have that DP be your warlord and have arch contaminator WL trait) so that you reroll all wounds.

If that is a 20 man blob of PM that had cloud of flies cast on them every turn while they advanced up the board to combat then whatever they face is going to die (assuming their support makes it there with them to help).

Just make sure to have 60 pox walkers/cultists there to absorb fire for characters and screen the PM.

Edited by bozo69pd