Plague Marines

Daemon2027

The bubonic axe is a poison power axe basically, for something like 5 points per model. It makes a PM attacks get +1. Then you cast the blades of putrifaction power on them so that 6's deal EXTRA mortal wounds. Then you have a Nurgle DP near them so they reroll 1's to hit. Then you have Morty near them (or have that DP be your warlord and have arch contaminator WL trait) so that you reroll all wounds.

If that is a 20 man blob of PM that had cloud of flies cast on them every turn while they advanced up the board to combat then whatever they face is going to die (assuming their support makes it there with them to help).

Just make sure to have 60 pox walkers/cultists there to absorb fire for characters and screen the PM.

Use Veterans of the long war on them as well for even more shenanigans :D Edited by Plaguecaster

For my 2k list I am planning on running three squads of Plague marines:  one 7-man with 2x blight launchers, champion with Powerfist, Plaguesword and Plasma, one 7-man with 2x plasma, champion with powerfist, plaguesword and plasma, and one 7-man with 1x axe, 1x 2nd knife, 2x flails, 2x axe/mace, champion with plaguesword and powerfist, in a Rhino with a Biologus Putrifier and a Foul Blightspawn.  This will be backed up by Typhus, a Malignant Plaguecaster, Deathshroud and Blightlord (1x Flail, 1x Combi-Plasma, 1x Blight Launcher, 4x Axes) terminators (who teleport in with Typhus), 2x Plagueburst Crawlers, a Tallyman and a screen unit of 10 Poxwalkers.  Have not tested it yet, however, but it seems cool.

I don't see a lot of people using Plague Spewers (PS), (or the assault equivalent) why is that?  I would almost argue you will get more out of a CC oriented Squad with 1-2 PS than one focused purely on CC weapons.  As far as I know (and I can very easily be wrong here), firing weapons no longer prevents you from Charging in the Assault phase. 

That's 1D6 STR 5 PW hits, not even included the PM's CC attack with his knife.  Compared to the guaranteed 2 attacks with an Axe, this seems like a much better deal.

Not to mention you can also do massive damage in overwatch should your opponent get the drop on you.

For a CC oriented 7-man squad I would go 1xPF, 2xFlail, 2xPS, 2xAxe.  Like @Wayniac suggests in his post I would also put them in a Rhino supported by the Biologus Putrifies and a Foul Blightspawn.

Thoughts?

I think it's because it's only 9" IIRC, so depending on where you get out you may not be able to fire it.  I haven't looked into it, I admit.  Also I'm sure the box will only come with 1, so it presents a logistics issue of equipping it. (don't think we've seen the new plague marine sprues to know the weapon ratios to know how you will be able to build out a squad)  I know on the Terminators that's why I would not take it, because you teleport > 9" so you can't fire it that turn.  For a PM squad I haven't really considered it.  Working it out I wouldn't have enough points to do 2x PS anyways, so for me it's a moot point since I don't really want to drop anything or rework my list :tongue.:

Edited by Wayniac

@Wayniac,

I absolutely agree with you that PS don't make sense on Terminators. 

I really hope the new sprues give us enough options to allow us to at least choose which Special weapon we would like to equip.  Luckily I have over 70 of the old Metal PMs, including two armed with flamers.  I don't see any reason why they can't be used as PS right?  The interesting is going to be taking some of the old PM and equipping them with flails.  I'm trying to stay away from the new PM models as much as possible due to the difference in sizes of the models.

@Wayniac,

I absolutely agree with you that PS don't make sense on Terminators. 

I really hope the new sprues give us enough options to allow us to at least choose which Special weapon we would like to equip.  Luckily I have over 70 of the old Metal PMs, including two armed with flamers.  I don't see any reason why they can't be used as PS right?  The interesting is going to be taking some of the old PM and equipping them with flails.  I'm trying to stay away from the new PM models as much as possible due to the difference in sizes of the models.

Sadly I am betting that the new sprue will have 1 of each weapon only, even though you can take up to 2 per squad.  I am hopeful it has t least 2 flails/cleavers and enough axes, but I'm holding my breath as GW wants you to build variety and not just max out on some options, it seems, so kits never have enough to give more than 1 of the same option usually.

Edited by Wayniac

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/09/stupid-40k-tricks-the-armylist-with-unlimited-models.html

Pretty interesting article on the use of stratagems with Poxwalkers... 

What do you guys think of 'using cloud of flies' on Plague Marines instead though? I think 'the dead walk again' should still be utilized and just march a unit of 14 PMs behind them.. 

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

Yeah Iv been going through every plague marine photo in the codex but there only seems to be one of each special weapon so I do reckon the kit only has one of each per box which kinda sucks but isn't the end of the world when you add the Dark Imperium or easy to build ones in, plus they won't be that hard to convert especially when you add in the blight king bits (I'll probably convert a flail or cleaver using that big bell from the blight kings)

If you're using dead march again, you don't want one of your surrounding units untargetable; the poxwalkers don't want to be shot and you want to syphon all the surrounding units into a mega blob.

Either use pox walkers as a screen with cloud of flies, or trade up cultists into pox walkers with dead march again, but trying to combine them as a screen and a battery doesn't quite work

If you're using dead march again, you don't want one of your surrounding units untargetable; the poxwalkers don't want to be shot and you want to syphon all the surrounding units into a mega blob.

Either use pox walkers as a screen with cloud of flies, or trade up cultists into pox walkers with dead march again, but trying to combine them as a screen and a battery doesn't quite work

Correct me if I'm wrong.. If using cloud of flies it is only the unit itself that cannot be targeted unless all the models in front are destroyed. It doesn't explicitly say units *behind* can't be targeted. I don't think Poxwalkers would create a screen for Plague Marines unless cloud of flies was used on the unit of Plague Marines themselves. 

I think I'm going to get rid of my PM stuff. I really don't like the play style options. 

Bye Felicia.

35582445.jpg

Yea, I meant flies on the Marines, while being screened by the poxwalkers. Using dead march on the walkers in that case lowers the effectiveness of the stratagem, less sources for new bodies

I looked right over the "other than poxwalker unit" good catch!

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

I am seriously struggling with taking Plague Marines in a list. Pox Walkers just seem so much better for the Troop Tax if you want to run a Battalion Detachment.

However, I have had a few games this summer with my meagre Death Guard army and the following combo for my Troops choices, whilst not pulling up any trees, did their job admirably:

- 5 Plague Marines: Champion with Power Fist and Plasma Gun, 2 Plague Marines with Blight Launchers, 2 Plague Marines with Bolters

- 5 Plague Marines: Champion with Power Fist and Plasma Gun, 2 Plague Marines with Blight Launchers, 2 Plague Marines with Bolters

- 15 Pox Walkers

- Dedicated Transport: Rhino with Combi-Plasma

Pox Walkers just stood on an objective somewhere in/near my Deployment Zone whilst the Rhino ferried the Plague Marines about to distract or take out mid-level opponent units.

Worked better when I had a Daemon Prince nearby to help with re-rolls.

I just don't know any more; I think I would rather take a Vanguard/Spearhead and Outrider Detachments in future, even if it is one less CP overall.

What have I done.

HQ 1 - Chaos Lord in Terminator Armor with Lightning Claw and Combi-Bolter - 115
HQ 2 - Malignant Plaguecaster - 110
Troop 1 - 20 Plague Marines with 2 Plasma Guns, 2 Maces of Contagion and Bubotic Axes, and Champion with Plasma Gun - 445
Troop 2 - 20 Plague Marines with 10 Bubotic Axes, 2 Blight Launchers, and Champion with Power Fist - 470
Troop 2 - 20 Plague Marines with 10 Bubotic Axes, 2 Blight Launchers, and Champion with Power Fist - 470
Elite 1 - Plague Surgeon with Balesword and Bolt Pistol - 65
Elite 2 - Plague Surgeon with Balesword and Bolt Pistol - 65
Elite 3 - Plague Surgeon with Balesword and Bolt Pistol - 65
Elite 4 - Noxious Blightbringer with Fulgaris Helm, Cursed Plague Bell, and Plasma Pistol - 70
Fast Attack 1 - Myphilitic Blight Hauler with Blight Spurt, Multi-Melta, and Missile Launcher - 142
Fast Attack 2 - Chaos Spawn - 33