787th Cadian, Vengeance of the Emperor

Hello fellow brothers,

I am starting into the 40 k hobby and the tabletop, and after I got my first expierence by painting some Blood Angels I decided to get into the Astra Militarum.

Here you see my Command Squad which I just finished today, and I tried my best to make it look decent. Any tips, suggestions and comments are welcome :biggrin.:. I still have a Start Collecting Edition waiting to be assembled and painted, but it will have to wait until I have finally moved into my new flat by the 17th of october.

Anyways, here are the pictures

Command Squad right

Command Squad Back

Command Squad Left

Command Squad Front

I hope they will not turn out too small, maybe you have to view them in my gallery to see the details (sorry about that, I am still new to the forum and fiddeling with the uploading and editing of pictures, thats also one of the reasons there are these horrible white boxes, sorry again :biggrin.:)

Anyways,
the Emperor protects
Edited by Marius Septimus

Welcome to the hobby! Your models are looking pretty good, certainly better than my first attempts!  As for the pictures, I use a program called GIMP (which stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program) to edit my pictures.  It is open source so its free, and it is pretty easy to crop and resize pictures so that they can be uploaded to the B&C gallery.

Thx guys, appreciate your feedback :)

Off to a great start!  What's next on the painting docket?

Well next will be the Start Collecting Edition of the AM, I am looking foward to it with a bit of concern regarding the camo pattern of the Leman Russ :O

Also I will have to get some colours for the blue searchlight on the Russ and for the visor of the heavy weapon teams.

Thx guys, appreciate your feedback :smile.:

Well next will be the Start Collecting Edition of the AM, I am looking foward to it with a bit of concern regarding the camo pattern of the Leman Russ :ohmy.:

Also I will have to get some colours for the blue searchlight on the Russ and for the visor of the heavy weapon teams.

It is actually a quite easy albeit time consuming step.

I would suggest you watch this video: 

Edited by lash144

Thx guys, appreciate your feedback :smile.:

Well next will be the Start Collecting Edition of the AM, I am looking foward to it with a bit of concern regarding the camo pattern of the Leman Russ :ohmy.:

It is actually a quite easy albeit time consuming step.

I would suggest you watch this video: 

Cheers mate, love to see our grand master of the thinned paints Duncan to give me instructions :D

As you start building up your force, you might want to get an Airbrush. I know that sounds way too advanced, but hear me out. With an Airbrush (even a single action like mine) you can get an incredible amount of control, and you can paint more quickly. Especially if you use the Assembly line method like I do. 

Basically what I do:

1. Prime everything (I prefer Black as it allows for pre shading, and tends to make everything darker which is good for camo)

2. Basecoat everything 

3. Secondary colors (this is the step that takes the most time for me, as my models have multiple secondary colors (Grey armor, and camo fatigues)

-Take multiple passes at step 3 for cases like mine, using one color per pass on the whole line of models

4. Details, lenses for my kasrkin, faces for my regular dudes. This is also the step that I spend the most time on my Characters.

5. Weathering

I don't usually do highlighting as a separate step, simply because the airbrush allows the to control just how much paint goes on, which means I can take advantage of the dark primer to add those effects, by simply adding less paint to the darker areas.

If you do go the Airbrush route, it'll be a bit of money, but well worth it, and it will certainly speed up painting vehicles.

As you start building up your force, you might want to get an Airbrush. I know that sounds way too advanced, but hear me out. With an Airbrush (even a single action like mine) you can get an incredible amount of control, and you can paint more quickly. Especially if you use the Assembly line method like I do.

Basically what I do:

1. Prime everything (I prefer Black as it allows for pre shading, and tends to make everything darker which is good for camo)

2. Basecoat everything

3. Secondary colors (this is the step that takes the most time for me, as my models have multiple secondary colors (Grey armor, and camo fatigues)

-Take multiple passes at step 3 for cases like mine, using one color per pass on the whole line of models

4. Details, lenses for my kasrkin, faces for my regular dudes. This is also the step that I spend the most time on my Characters.

5. Weathering

I don't usually do highlighting as a separate step, simply because the airbrush allows the to control just how much paint goes on, which means I can take advantage of the dark primer to add those effects, by simply adding less paint to the darker areas.

If you do go the Airbrush route, it'll be a bit of money, but well worth it, and it will certainly speed up painting vehicles.

What paints do you use? I have an airbrush and accessories I just haven't bought any paints. I tried a little bit of a GW paint but I probably didn't thin it down enough first because I didn't like it at all...

GW Air or regular?

Their regular works surprisingly well with a little thinner + flow improver.

Their air still needs a little bit of thinner too I find with my Badger Patriot.

Apparently the Badger primers are meant to be really good too. 

Reg GW paints. I probably didn't thin it enough. I was practicing on some scratch built terrain and disliked it enough that I put it away.

Anyway, this is OT, don't wanna hijack a thread!

Apologies!!

No worries dude :D

I bought a Mephisto Red spray can for my Blood Angels, which didnt turned out that well (Leaving two models completly obscure and unusable), so I am staying away from airbrush for a while till I get annoyed of painting base coats via hand :D

I haven't used the red myself, but I am quite familiar with the black and white.

The white in particular can be difficult to use, you don't want it too hot or too cold and definitely not much more than 50% humidity.
Also you really do need to shake the cans a lot prior to using and during use too.

Hope that helps :)

What paints do you use? I have an airbrush and accessories I just haven't bought any paints. I tried a little bit of a GW paint but I probably didn't thin it down enough first because I didn't like it at all...

I use regular GW paints, just thinned down to the consistency of milk.

I bought a Mephisto Red spray can for my Blood Angels, which didnt turned out that well (Leaving two models completly obscure and unusable), so I am staying away from airbrush for a while till I get annoyed of painting base coats via hand :biggrin.:

Some simple green, or purple power, or some other similar degreaser will take that stuff off and you can try again. Spray cans and airbrush are completely different animals. The key with Spray cans is distance. The key with Airbrushes is flow, which affects the spread. Now, you can do as I intend and get a Double action airbrush for really quick work in fine and coarse detail. 

Well thanks for telling me the difference between air brush and the normal spray can, you never stop learning :D

Well since its my birthday soon, I thought about getting me a Baneblade, as the core of my new army. Do you think it's too early for one? And what do you guys think about the Baneblade in general?

Any tips and suggetions are welcome :D

I've run a Shadowsword (baneblade chassis, different gun build) in a few lists and I've loved it! Now that it'll be 40pts cheaper and I'm guaranteed a 3 shot minimum (3D3 vs D6 before) I think I'll love it even more!!

It serves as a giant target though too, so it's going to need some support. However the new stratagem allowing you to hit on 2+ in close combat will be a solid boon as well!

Baneblades are a lot of fun now and are amazing models!

Fielding them in less than 2000pts might be tricky though so I'd build up to at least 1500pts of everything else.

From a hobby perspective for the most part the kit is fairly straight for to assemble although even as a seasoned hobbiest I did find some parts painful and finicky. Mainly the floating road wheels and tracks. Also for me on a painting perspective I want my BB to be the centre piece of my army and want my paint job to reflect that. I had the benefit of building and painting someone elses first to learn. ;) haha

None of that is meant to be a slight at your abilities, just some considerations you might want to think about so what ever the final product is youre happy with. I know I want to repaint my two imperial knights as my painting skills (and patience) have improved considerably since I built them 2-3 years back.

Either I'm always happy so see more BBs around. :D

And dont forget you can always magnetise!

Well thanks for telling me the difference between air brush and the normal spray can, you never stop learning :biggrin.:

No problem. It's always good to know the capabilities and limitations of your tools. 

Well since its my birthday soon, I thought about getting me a Baneblade, as the core of my new army. Do you think it's too early for one? And what do you guys think about the Baneblade in general?

For me, I have yet to take the plunge on a baneblade, but that's because I have 3 other superheavies (3 imperial knights). I also want to focus more on getting myself set up with artillery. I only have a single wyvern, and I really want to make the most of my master of ordnance in my lists. The other thing is that I'm more about force multiplication than Full on firepower. I want to make my force hit above it's weight class, and re-rolling 1's is a great way to do that. I am curious to see how the MoO works with the Cadian Doctrine, as artillery will rarely (if ever) move. 

The big problem with a Baneblade, or any superheavy really, is that it becomes a big target, which means that your strategy cannot hinge on it. Or rather your strategy has to plan for it being a fire magnet. 

Any tips and suggetions are welcome :biggrin.:

Magnetize all vehicles.

Baneblades are a lot of fun now and are amazing models!

Fielding them in less than 2000pts might be tricky though so I'd build up to at least 1500pts of everything else.

From a hobby perspective for the most part the kit is fairly straight for to assemble although even as a seasoned hobbiest I did find some parts painful and finicky. Mainly the floating road wheels and tracks. Also for me on a painting perspective I want my BB to be the centre piece of my army and want my paint job to reflect that. I had the benefit of building and painting someone elses first to learn. :wink: haha

None of that is meant to be a slight at your abilities, just some considerations you might want to think about so what ever the final product is youre happy with. I know I want to repaint my two imperial knights as my painting skills (and patience) have improved considerably since I built them 2-3 years back.

Either I'm always happy so see more BBs around. :biggrin.:

And dont forget you can always magnetise!

Thanks for the tips :) I wanted to paint the Baneblade last, after all my other stuff, hoping that my paint skills will have increased till then :D

Well thanks for telling me the difference between air brush and the normal spray can, you never stop learning :biggrin.:

No problem. It's always good to know the capabilities and limitations of your tools. 

For me, I have yet to take the plunge on a baneblade, but that's because I have 3 other superheavies (3 imperial knights). I also want to focus more on getting myself set up with artillery. I only have a single wyvern, and I really want to make the most of my master of ordnance in my lists. The other thing is that I'm more about force multiplication than Full on firepower. I want to make my force hit above it's weight class, and re-rolling 1's is a great way to do that. I am curious to see how the MoO works with the Cadian Doctrine, as artillery will rarely (if ever) move. 

The big problem with a Baneblade, or any superheavy really, is that it becomes a big target, which means that your strategy cannot hinge on it. Or rather your strategy has to plan for it being a fire magnet. 

Any tips and suggetions are welcome :biggrin.:

Magnetize all vehicles.

Thanks! Artillery was also one of my main focusses, I am only worried about how to get a basilisk, regarding that they are always sold out :(

The magnetizing looks promising, though difficult to perfom...I will have a closer look at the topics in the forum :D

Thanks! Artillery was also one of my main focusses, I am only worried about how to get a basilisk, regarding that they are always sold out :sad.:

Yeah, That's definitely a concern. I like combined arms play, which is why I like Artillery. I'm not keen on playing gunline guard, as I don't like static strategy.

Never Dig in, Always Advance! - LTG George S. Patton

The magnetizing looks promising, though difficult to perfom...I will have a closer look at the topics in the forum :biggrin.:

If you get a pinvise, or better yet a dremel with drill bits, you can do it pretty easily.