The Emperor protects - a Codex: AM review

Feral_80

Personally the steel legion wrecked this for all of us. Heavy weapon team used to just be 2 dudes. 1 fired the the gun the other was just a guardsmen with ammo modelled on him. Everything made sense and everything was clear then they put a steel legion heavy bolter team on a big base and we were screwed.

=][= As stimulating as debating the looseness of GW rules writing and going into finer points of a HWT having one or two lasguns is. Two pages of discussion on whether you can squeeze 1 or 2 shots of a Bs4+ S3 weapon is excessive. Lets move on people =][=

How would you gentlemen run your troops in a tallaran detachment? The idea of a mobile army intrigues me. Usually I've taken transports/chimeras for mobility but it would seem that you get the biggest perk from you infantry by just having them run around on foot? So an army would consist of several squads of infantry supported by tanks/artillery.

How would you equip these infantry squads?

Sure I guess I could keep the chimera because of the vehicle bonus...

Have any Armageddon players (If any actually exist) tried a Commander with the Blade of Conquest and the Ex Gang Leader WL trait? With a priest nearby that's a 35 point dude witglh 5 swings that hit on 3s, wound T4 on a 2+, virtually bypass all armor saves, and are D3 damage a pop. Of course it's not optimal to be playing those kinds of games with a guard warlord, but it sure sounds cool

Have any Armageddon players (If any actually exist) tried a Commander with the Blade of Conquest and the Ex Gang Leader WL trait? With a priest nearby that's a 35 point dude witglh 5 swings that hit on 3s, wound T4 on a 2+, virtually bypass all armor saves, and are D3 damage a pop. Of course it's not optimal to be playing those kinds of games with a guard warlord, but it sure sounds cool

It sounds cool but it's a lot of resources to get an HQ that won't be as good in close combat as just about any loyal or traitor marine HQ.

The exganger is my warlord. Fits perfect the exhove gang crew that I built from Escher and Genestealer bits.

In combat, she is a brute. She deals a solid amount of damage herself, the priest deals some, and then "Bubbles" her bullgryn bodyguard helps finish the enemies off while keeping her safe.

Is it a top tier combo? Prolly not? But if you need a good counter charge character, it's super fun.

It sounds cool but it's a lot of resources to get an HQ that won't be as good in close combat as just about any loyal or traitor marine HQ.

The exganger is my warlord. Fits perfect the exhove gang crew that I built from Escher and Genestealer bits.

In combat, she is a brute. She deals a solid amount of damage herself, the priest deals some, and then "Bubbles" her bullgryn bodyguard helps finish the enemies off while keeping her safe.

Is it a top tier combo? Prolly not? But if you need a good counter charge character, it's super fun.

Escher? When trying out Steel Legion that’s the backstory I used for my female Commissar being used as a Company Commander.

I’ll admit to not using the Priest part of it yet. But if your not pulling out of close combat my favorite is to do a Fixed Bayonettes order to squeeze out an extra free round of chopping.

• 2 weeks later...

First post updated with a section on some inconsistencies and missed opportunities that have come to my mind after some practice with the codex. I mean it's still great, but a couple of weeks of extra playtest would have made it awesome (and saved us from a badly devised FAQ a week after its release).