The Emperor protects - a Codex: AM review

Feral_80

Thought during dinner. A unit of 10 scions, 4 hot shot volley guns. Deployed on the front line spread out for max table coverage. Use as a deep strike deterrent with the intelligence stratagem, allowing you to shoot anything that arrives from reserves within 12". The 24" range of the volley gun should let you reach anything within 9" of the whole squad.

Thought during dinner. A unit of 10 scions, 4 hot shot volley guns. Deployed on the front line spread out for max table coverage. Use as a deep strike deterrent with the intelligence stratagem, allowing you to shoot anything that arrives from reserves within 12". The 24" range of the volley gun should let you reach anything within 9" of the whole squad.

I really like HSVG in general. They are absolute steal for their points, and if using doctrines they average almost an extra 3 shots if firing at half range. So yeah, I like the idea.

I've used it, it's hilarious. The look on their face when I issued it was priceless. Unfortunately for the most part it's just giving you D6 lasgun shots, so I find it best to use after having fallen back and then get back in the fight to get a pseudo FRFSRF. I've got a special assassination squad with melta and acid bombs that I've been gunning for a chance to use the stratagem, but given that it's a 6in range, it's difficult to pull off with anyone who can't take a charge.

I'm starting to feel like a proper Guard commander now. Nothing like issuing the FRFSRF order and Volley fire Strategem to a 20 strong Infantry unit and your opponent saying "oh :cuss..."

You can imagine the enemy squad charging forward at you, then stuttering to a halt as a double rank of Infantry level their lasguns.

I just have to stop myself saying things like "Platoon! At 100 yard volley fire present! Fire!" rather than just saying "this lot are getting FRFSRF, and this Volley Fire stratagem"

Eh. But you have to field 10x Scions (expensive), with no plasma/melta (and why wouldn't you take these?), hope that somehow all of them survive until they are all within 6" of the enemy (Taurox prime/Valkyrie? Even more points), and then burn a CP. Very situational, and quite unlikely to achieve great results, or even happen at full potential. 

On a different note, are you re-evaluating any Forfeworld LR now that they got grinding advance, even if sadly they still got no access to Tank Commanders? I might update the FW review as well :happy.:  the Conqueror seems exciting at just +13 pts over a normal LR, for example. And the annihillator is worth a try as well, I believe.

Forgeworld tanks are still in need of the 10 point buff for me, the only 1 I would consider is the conq, but 13 points for reroll to hit on 1-6 shots is a bit steep in my view.

The annihilator, if it got the buff aswell would actually be a tank I considered, as I dont like the idea of Dx shots over a consistant amount of shots.

Forgeworld tanks are still in need of the 10 point buff for me, the only 1 I would consider is the conq, but 13 points for reroll to hit on 1-6 shots is a bit steep in my view.

The annihilator, if it got the buff aswell would actually be a tank I considered, as I dont like the idea of Dx shots over a consistant amount of shots.

It's not that 10 points on a model that costs 150-200 makes that great difference.

The Conqueror is 13 pts for reroll to hits on *2d6* shots, not 1-6. Take it as a Catachan tank and you'll average a significant amount of hits even at BS 4+. I'll gladly pay 13 pts for that against armies that are supposed to come within 24" of my lines.

Only issue I have with the annihilator is the massive points cost. 202 for turret and lascannon hull!! for 5 lascannon rounds. lasannon HWT are 26 points each. can get almost 8. 

Then again, the LR Annihilator is much more survivable, a Tallarn annihilator would be intriguing. Might have to proxy one for a few games to see how it goes 

Yeah, I'm thinking it'll be the tank the Vanquisher sadly isn't, tbh. 5 Lascannons on 4s re-rolling 1s won't be too shabby, I'd prefer a Tank Commander but that's the hand we've been dealt. HWT are cheaper but can also vanish under a stiff breeze if your opponent wants them to, and generally lack for mobility.

Plus it looks cool, y'all, and that's what really matters. :P

I'm starting to feel like a proper Guard commander now. Nothing like issuing the FRFSRF order and Volley fire Strategem to a 20 strong Infantry unit and your opponent saying "oh :censored:..."

You can imagine the enemy squad charging forward at you, then stuttering to a halt as a double rank of Infantry level their lasguns.

I just have to stop myself saying things like "Platoon! At 100 yard volley fire present! Fire!" rather than just saying "this lot are getting FRFSRF, and this Volley Fire stratagem"

add in a sabre platform with a searchlight for a 5+ extra hits ;)

Eh. But you have to field 10x Scions (expensive), with no plasma/melta (and why wouldn't you take these?), hope that somehow all of them survive until they are all within 6" of the enemy (Taurox prime/Valkyrie? Even more points), and then burn a CP. Very situational, and quite unlikely to achieve great results, or even happen at full potential. 

On a different note, are you re-evaluating any Forfeworld LR now that they got grinding advance, even if sadly they still got no access to Tank Commanders? I might update the FW review as well :happy.:  the Conqueror seems exciting at just +13 pts over a normal LR, for example. And the annihillator is worth a try as well, I believe.

basic elysian squads could be a good choice for grenadiers, as they get krak grenades for no additional cost. So 50 point deep striking squad. Take several and you will most likely get 1 at a decent strength to use the stratagem. Also them deep striking in rapid fire range and being ordered FRFSRF is really good. 

Also deep striking and then moving again with move move move to surround a transport (no that easy to do) before blowing up that transport, will cause the embarked unit to die >:D

I think each has its merits. Catachan are better with ye olde templates but Tallarn are great for mobility. Steel Legion I'm not sure of. They're better against low-AP fire which could be nice against the right enemy. However they're also more Transport-oriented than armour per se.

Cadians also deserve an honourable mention for a more static playstyle. Valhallans are durable, Vostroyans are a nice buff on Demolishers, Punishers, Multi-Meltas and the like. Mordians are okay, they seem more infantry-oriented though.

Personally I love Tallarn because everything is moving, constantly. Makes for a very flexible force.

Has anyone managed to use the Grenadiers stratagem yet? Is it as useful as it sounds, particularly on Overwatch?

I used it in overwatch in a game last night. 10 frag grenades. Got 36 shots, but only 4 hits and no wounds against BA death co. They where there to die, and die they did. Would of been a better use in attack hitting on 4+ maybe with a bonus. We were playing cities of death and grenades aways cause max shots. That’s 60 attack’s.

I think each has its merits. Catachan are better with ye olde templates but Tallarn are great for mobility. Steel Legion I'm not sure of. They're better against low-AP fire which could be nice against the right enemy. However they're also more Transport-oriented than armour per se.

Cadians also deserve an honourable mention for a more static playstyle. Valhallans are durable, Vostroyans are a nice buff on Demolishers, Punishers, Multi-Meltas and the like. Mordians are okay, they seem more infantry-oriented though.

Personally I love Tallarn because everything is moving, constantly. Makes for a very flexible force.

The mobility is driving (pun intended ;) ) me really towards Tallarn.

Sure Cadia is nice for a static gunline and my army is painted Cadian, but tbh when I have mass vehicles I wanna drive around and not stand still.

The mobility is driving (pun intended :wink: ) me really towards Tallarn.

Sure Cadia is nice for a static gunline and my army is painted Cadian, but tbh when I have mass vehicles I wanna drive around and not stand still.

Catachans fit the middle ground for mobility quite nicely because their doctrine doesn't rely on being static and so they can use their order for re-rolls to hit. If you gear up your Russes with only a turret weapon then they get a lot of mileage out of 6" move orders, which I think suits the careful jungle-fighter advance you see in old pathe videos of Burma and Vietnam. 

Steel legion get their main buff from plasmaguns. So I plan on buying 9-12 of them when they come back in stock, and running plas and HE's in each squad, and a few plasma special teams, all in chimeras. Tauroxen might be better, but chimeras fit the army.

Now to figure out AT...

Steel legion get their main buff from plasmaguns. So I plan on buying 9-12 of them when they come back in stock, and running plas and HE's in each squad, and a few plasma special teams, all in chimeras. Tauroxen might be better, but chimeras fit the army.

Now to figure out AT...

I've actually been wondering about using triple-plasma veterans for Steel Legion, and forgoing regular squads. Although pricey (you're paying a premium for that plasma!), you are getting to maximise the BS3+ and the plasma via their Doctrine. It also somewhat compensates for keeping heavy weapons to a couple of dedicated heavy weapon squads and/or vehicle-mounted.

Additionally, the Vets can take a heavy flamer on top, which could be useful for overwatch and keeping your expensive squad alive, but it's another 17 points and loses you a rapid-firing lasgun.

Of course, triple-plasma Vets are twice the points cost of a regular mono-plasma infantry squad... :ermm:

That was my original intention actually, but I was thinking that the BS3+ the Vets have would also be helpful to getting the most out of the SL Doctrine.

I guess it comes down to whether getting 1/3 increase in the number of hits is worth twice the points (and technically half the plasma shots vs two SWS).

Mathematically, I'd probably say not, but in terms of opportunity/flexibility I could see them being helpful.

I think I'll end up with a mix of Infantry Squads, SWS, and Vets, but all-Vets is still tempting for a mechanised force like this.