HH Rulebook - rules updates discussion

Charlo

I think it is kind of a big deal they are fixing whatever it is they found wrong .

Ok, I have a rumor for just that.

The owner of the local nerd shop went to Die Spiel convention in Essen Germany.

While he was there he had the opportunity to look into more of the new edition and he said that they've changed way more and even took stuff from 8th edition.

Take that with a huge pint of salt because I don't know how trustworthy he is, but let's assume he is right.

What could they actually change without having to re-make the red books?

They could change a few sentences in a few sections and it would change the entire game... so we just won't know until we get the books.

Damn, I hate the waiting. ;)

But!

We played tuesday with the new/old rule that every member of a unit can use one grenate in cc against walkers, stuff and MC.

Well, just like before the last FAQ walkers are dead meat in cc again.

I hope they changed other things as well which helps them.

Oh, and here are some pics

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbNd_e_gjZA/

The more I think on it, the more I'm okay with HH staying in 7th. I love aspects of both systems, and having the variety of systems to play is actually quite nice (and it gives HH a more "ancient history" vibe to me, kinda neat) . Plus I've still got a few buddies who have spent enough money on resin crack that they're not giving up entirely lol. The player pool is still smaller than it was though.

@Gorgoff: Love your Iron Warriors!

They could change a few sentences in a few sections and it would change the entire game... so we just won't know until we get the books.

Damn, I hate the waiting. :wink:

But!

We played tuesday with the new/old rule that every member of a unit can use one grenate in cc against walkers, stuff and MC.

There has got to be some sort of middle ground. Because Cybernetic an intense experience without melta bombs, but walkers get gezzumbed if like 3 dudes are left. Maybe if melta bombs were actually just Melta.

But!

Leviathans are overpowered tbh .

But!

I wouldnt say that, you're paying a lot of points for it.

The more I think on it, the more I'm okay with HH staying in 7th. I love aspects of both systems, and having the variety of systems to play is actually quite nice (and it gives HH a more "ancient history" vibe to me, kinda neat) . Plus I've still got a few buddies who have spent enough money on resin crack that they're not giving up entirely lol. The player pool is still smaller than it was though.

@Gorgoff: Love your Iron Warriors!

Thanks man.

I agree on your assumption.

It feels more 'historic. :)

But!

Oh, and here are some picshttps://www.instagram.com/p/BbNd_e_gjZA/

There has got to be some sort of middle ground. Because Cybernetic an intense experience without melta bombs, but walkers get gezzumbed if like 3 dudes are left. Maybe if melta bombs were actually just Melta.

It'd be good if only every character + one member of each unit

in cc can use one grenate.

Done.

But!

Oh, and here are some picshttps://www.instagram.com/p/BbNd_e_gjZA/

Well, not against Meltabombs. ;)

Better then Contemptors but not op.

I'm surprised a single person doesn't like that melta is per model not per squad. Clearly you're all mech players!

The changes are essential to give people a chance to do something against these armies in close combat without just being killed over multiple turns.

By all means boost walkers to compensate but monstrous creatures have needed a little nerf for a while. Melta bombs are that nerf.

I'm surprised a single person doesn't like that melta is per model not per squad. Clearly you're all mech players!

The changes are essential to give people a chance to do something against these armies in close combat without just being killed over multiple turns.

By all means boost walkers to compensate but monstrous creatures have needed a little nerf for a while. Melta bombs are that nerf.

It's a matter of perspective.

I like Legion Dreadnought Talons and they suck if everyone can use a grenade in cc. At least the cc versions.

On the other hand it's a huge boost for infantry like Legion Reconnaissance Squads and the like.

And since I play a lot against Salamanders (AV14 spam) Solar Auxilia (dito) I do see the advantages for me and my army.

The units taking a large number of meltabombs are pretty expensive... it isn't outlandish that they can take on a single Contemptor.  

The most important aspect of this ruling is that it makes assault-oriented armies viable, or any other army that puts a lot of points into any slots other than Heavy Support.  It's very noticeable with Rites of War that force you to take a third Troops choice, especially at lower points levels (say, 2,000).  Outrider-heavy armies don't work well without meltabombs either.

But I'm sympathetic to walker-heavy armies.  If they need help, they should get it.

Single grenade attack per squad when entire squad has them never made any sense.

20 Militia soldiers cost 60 points with Krak Grenades and will kill regular Dreadnoughts in one turn.

Like I said: perspective.

It makes no sense that only one dude can throw a grenade either but from time to time we have to look at balancing. But now it is like it is.

So bye bye cc Legion Dreadnought Talons and helloooo Meltabombs for my Veterans. :)

While 20 militia with krak grenades can kill a regular dreadnought in one turn, it's rather unlikely. They hit on 4's and glance on 6's with one attack each. Assuming the dread whiffed, they should, on average, do 1.66 hull points (10 hits, with 1/6 rolling sixes). I don't have the time right now to calculate the full distribution of what's likely, though I'd wager the odds of an AV12 dread being killed by 20 militia in one round of combat by krak grenades is very unlikely (even assuming all of them can get close enough to attack).

Now, 30 fearless, rending levies, that will do an average of 3.33 hull points in one round of combat (30 hits, 1/6 rend and 2/3 of those roll 2 or 3 for additional penetration), assuming all can attack. Much scarier.

Yeah when you actually look at the numbers multi bombing isnt that bad. Contemptors are immune to kraks, and meltas are expensive on whole units and not really as reliable. Going last and still rolling to hit on single attacks means that dread will gut your squad first so you better kill it or you get swept - i find more often i do a hull point or two and lose my squad.

Throwing 10 meltas at a contemptor usually kills it - if all 10 get to swing. I find in my actual games that's rarely the case.

3 Glancing Hits. That's all it takes to bring down a Dreadnought or Contemptor Dreadnought. With everybody now having a blast (gnihihih) throwing grenades the assault phase is MUCH more dangerous than before.

That's all I wanted to point out. :)

And if you want to go into a mob of militia with your walker -GO for it. But be warned it'll be dead meat.

Lol, I find the delay funny,  hopefully not an Inferno level of delay though. :)

Considering how my pages in Inferno were all marked up from the printer etc, it is nice to see some quality control going into a FW product.

Either that or the mistakes were that glaring that they knew they couldn't get away with it.

I think FW's new motto is "How hard can it be?"

Single grenade attack per squad when entire squad has them never made any sense.

20 Militia soldiers cost 60 points with Krak Grenades and will kill regular Dreadnoughts in one turn.

It makes no sense that only one dude can throw a grenade either but from time to time we have to look at balancing. But now it is like it is.

So bye bye cc Legion Dreadnought Talons and helloooo Meltabombs for my Veterans. :smile.:

Outside of flamestorm dreads in ZM, when was the last time you even save a standard legion dreadnought?

So bye bye cc Legion Dreadnought Talons and helloooo Meltabombs for my Veterans. :smile.:

Outside of flamestorm dreads in ZM, when was the last time you even save a standard legion dreadnought?
Every two games or so.

Also noone plays a Flamestorm Cannon around here although it is a good weapon.

The difference we use terrain where I'm from. I know that in the states almost empty tables with all but no line of sight blocking pieces are common but not in my surrounding.

Try it, the game's more fun that way.

Archived