Carcharodons: outer dark - book cover

helterskelter

Wait & purchase Outer Dark and then read it right away or read O'Brians first Aubrey novel and then Outer Dark...

Rob? Got some relevant reasons which could convince me in your favor? :P ;)

Red Tithe - first Charcharodon's novel

Then there are two shorts, one happening before Red Tithe, which is called The Reaping Time and one happening after Red Tithe, which name is Death Warrant.

Haven't read Death Warrant until now but if you read Reaping Time adds to Red Tithe, comparable with Brotherhood of the Storm and Scars.

Wait & purchase Outer Dark and then read it right away or read O'Brians first Aubrey novel and then Outer Dark...

Rob? Got some relevant reasons which could convince me in your favor? :tongue.::wink:

You're assuming I - an 18th century British military historian - would want you to not read Jack Aubrey? 

Which novels should I read first before the outer dark? Travelling tonight and I need a few books to keep me company.

Yep, as Kelborn said, Red Tithe is the novel set before Outer Dark, with two short estories, The Reaping Time and Death Warrant

Rob!!! Help Push Forgeworld to release rules for Carcharodons!!!!

You rock! 

Thank you

Krash

If we writers really had any influence with FW I suspect you'd see rather more characters made into minis :wink:  Honestly the best and only hope for eventual FW support for the Sharks is if the books continue to sell. 

On a side note for all you Americans, apparently the hardback can be bought at Adepticon just now!

Death Warrant was an interesting and solid stand-alone.  I sort of wonder if it will end up being connected to this new book in the same way Reaping Time was to Red Tithe.  It seems like it probably won't.  BUT I WILL FIND OUT TOMORROW MORNING!

After reading the extract, I would now have a totally BL fluff based excuse for a Primaris Space Shark force. The Grey Tithe and the Mechanicus interaction set up could even be used to have some "original" recruits returned to the Chapter...

Totally looking forward to the new Kill Team now.

Well played Sir!

My old bones are traitor to the core, but, these books make me want to do a teeny weeny Carcharadon Force using the primaris and my battle of Prospero and Calth sets.

I read Red Tithe, then the FW Badab , then HH3 and sigh longingly...

Why HH3?

Just finished. What a story. One of the cool things about the Carcharodons series is seeing RobMac add things to his toolkit. One thing that stood out to me was the addition of humor, though in an extremely dry sort of way. More than once I found myself re-reading a sentence and wondering if the character meant the line to be a joke, or if it was RobMac pulling one on us, or both.  Great stuff.

The parts of the novel with non-Astartes show a huge improvement from the first novel.  Although I didn't think the human parts of the first book were bad at all, they were definitely there in a fully supporting role to highlight the Astartes.  The inquisitorial crew is well written, they seemed like complete characters with interesting backstories, and although they were still supporting characters they seemed much more capable of independently impacting the world.

One quick question, was Itako meant to be a Leviathan vs a Contemptor? The weapon description made me wonder, which was a bit jarring from the crazy action scene going on in the story at the time.

Now. Time to address the mind games regarding the Carcharodons origins.

I am feverishly going back through the old Legions trying to figure out which mythological creature Khauri saw in the beginning.  I think it is probably a hound, but not sure at all.  The straight up inclusion of the Ashen Claws has thrown me for a huge loop.  I firmly thought the Ashen Claws were the Carcharodons.  Well played sir.  I still think that maybe the Carcharodons are an off-shoot of the AC, but that seems too easy.  There were certainly many hints that the boys in grey are linked to the World Eaters, or a hybrid of some kind, but I think I need to read this story again and look at some of the FW HH fluff.

All in all this was even better than the first novel, definitely worth the wait, and a great sign for the future as RobMac continues to deliver excellent stories. I would personally like to see the chapter deal with the new Dark Imperium, but there certainly seem to be many more stories to write even without integrating them into the new reality.

My old bones are traitor to the core, but, these books make me want to do a teeny weeny Carcharadon Force using the primaris and my battle of Prospero and Calth sets.

I read Red Tithe, then the FW Badab , then HH3 and sigh longingly...

Why HH3?

For the HH Raven Guard / Terran XIXth Legion fluff, for sure. It's great!

@Caladacid: Thanks for your view on Outer Dark. This will definitely the next one after O'Brian's first Aubrey novel!

Did I get that right?

The Ashen Claws are mentioned or even included?!? :ohmy.:

What the holy Megalodon? That's awesome! Still have to read it but Rob? PLEASE do the Corax Primarch novel! Deal with the Gate 42! P L E A S E ! ! !

great work as usual from M MacNiven.

some questions answered and new ones

- Bail Sharr is clearly form World Eaters gene seed, pure or mixed with Raven Guard or Night Lords
- according to the Ashen Claws Chapter Master reaction to the gift of gene seed from the Carcharodons, a lot of the later's gene seed pool is mixed  
- very good description of the Ashen Claws, how a renegade chapter may evolve and change during thousands of year without the Imperium support 

(true for the Carcharodons too) 
- the origin of "Hunger" and "Slake"
- is the association from Skell-Khauri with Bar’ghul the consequence of the use of Shadrait's (the Flayed Father) progenoids or just a consequence of the ceremony ?
- a lot to wait for : Inquisition-Carcharodons, Carcharodons- Ashen Claws futur interactions

One thing I liked but was a little confused about was the the ashen claws leaders names. Nev and Sixx are throwbacks to the heresy and Brann/Agapito Nev and Vincent Sixx. But Sixx died and the other two weren't part of the ashen claws ; bit of a stretch that their relatives were also legionaries and part of the 18th chapter

Names can become like titles, given enough time. Heck, names could have been titles to begin with. And that's before considering that because legends and myths have such import in the Astartes mythos, that taking the name of a previous hero or well known individual could be seen as a great honor.

Names can become like titles, given enough time. Heck, names could have been titles to begin with. And that's before considering that because legends and myths have such import in the Astartes mythos, that taking the name of a previous hero or well known individual could be seen as a great honor.

Except, these are Astartes that were exiled by Corax, before the Heresy. I'm not sure why Terran veterans would bestow an honour title of Lycaeus mid-ranking officers. This was before any recorded notable achievements of theirs like being second in command(s) of the legion, or being Chief Apothecary because everyone else died.

I see Lance Reddick as Nzogwu

This is actually perfect.

Except, these are Astartes that were exiled by Corax, before the Heresy. I'm not sure why Terran veterans would bestow an honour title of Lycaeus mid-ranking officers. This was before any recorded notable achievements of theirs like being second in command(s) of the legion, or being Chief Apothecary because everyone else died.

At the risk of tearing down authorly mystique, Sixx's main reason for getting the name he did, besides the more obvious connection, is that while writing Outer Dark I happened to be watching Generation Kill, and Sgt. Maj. Sixta fitted my idea of Sixx as the Claws' enforcer pretty well. 

One thing I liked but was a little confused about was the the ashen claws leaders names. Nev and Sixx are throwbacks to the heresy and Brann/Agapito Nev and Vincent Sixx. But Sixx died and the other two weren't part of the ashen claws ; bit of a stretch that their relatives were also legionaries and part of the 18th chapter

As was said earlier names can become like titles. There are only so many and ten thousand years is a long time. For instance, legendary scout Naaman was the 14th, as far as he could figure, Dark Angel to bear that name.

Archived