Blood Angels Codex brief review

JamesI

Hello all,

So far I like a lot what I am reading regarding what the new BA codex is bringing us. I love DC and Lamartes, and based on this thread, its all good.

Loving the new Descent of Angels Stratagem. Just want to get some clarity on the CP costs when using stratagems. So, lets assume I have 2 x 15 man DC units with jump packs all kitted out with necessary thunderhammers and power swords and chainswords, plus Lemartes. Both DC units are exactly the same. Lets continue with the scenario/assumptions. Opponent deploys his forces, all of my forces are deployed in the skies, and my 3 scout units will come onto the table via reserves. My 1st turn, I deploy both DC units and Lemartes, via Descent of Angels, I deploy 9inches from relevant enemy units, and get ready to roll 3D6 for a charge. So…..

1. I deploy 2 x 15man DC units, with Descent of Angels Stratagem. Does this cost me 2CPs for deploying both units?

2. Or, is it, 2CPs per DC unit I deploy with Descent of Angels. So, for two units that would be 4 CPs. Similarly, 3 x 15man DC units would be 6CPs.

Which is the correct approach: 2CPs for the use of the stratagem for the army, or 2CPs for each Unit using the stratagem? Just want to get clarity on this

It would be 2CPs for one unit..and you are only allowed to use it once per fase . 

Hello,

Thank you. Clear. If I do deploy two DC units, or more (3) in the 1st turn, and use Descent of Angels on one unit, can the other unit/s still charge 2D6, with a reroll to charge due to Lamartes being within 6inches of the unit/s?

Hello,

Thank you. Clear. If I do deploy two DC units, or more (3) in the 1st turn, and use Descent of Angels on one unit, can the other unit/s still charge 2D6, with a reroll to charge due to Lamartes being within 6inches of the unit/s?

the units that don't get Descent of Angels can still do a normal 2d6 charge and reroll if close enough to Lemartes.

How does the weapon options on the Intercessors read? Can the sergeant take a Bolt Rifle and a chainsword? or must he replace his Bolt Rifle for the chainsword? My thought was being able to take 2 battalions, one with 3 min cost scout squads and one with 3 min squads of Intercessors. 3 backline defense troop choice and 3 frontline/ area denial troops. Then i'd have to come up with 4HQs (which doesnt seem hard as captains and lieutenants are cheap). Then figure out what i need elsewhere. would net me 9 command points.

I can't help but feel "meh" over it by all. Like I am still getting the codex but I'm just not excited.

Why do you feel disappointed? Turn 1 changes from multiple units are now possible, Various things got cheaper, FW have nice units to supplement the book too.

I can't help but feel "meh" over it by all. Like I am still getting the codex but I'm just not excited.

Why do you feel disappointed? Turn 1 changes from multiple units are now possible, Various things got cheaper, FW have nice units to supplement the book too.
I play against a lot of cheap chaff, they are more than happy to accept my turn 1 charge. This is the bubble wrap edition.

The aura character buff mechanic is severely handicapped for elite assault armies in 8th, (it sucks) and nothing I've seen yet really fixes this issue.

Also seeing the oldest and wisest hero of the Imperium still suck really hurts. Also my own personal bias against Sanguinor and Astorath... now almost must takes meh.

So lots of cool stuff, but nothing addressing the core issues.

Edited by Chaplain Gunzhard

I watched tabletop tactics battle report using new codex vs world eaters. BA got wrecked. I didn't watch full game but skipped around. D.C. and Sang Guard are good but they're no khorne zerkers.

Dante crushed it though.

I ordered the standard collectors set and the Lt.

Well just like people autoincluding guilleman into all armies, we are going to be the same. We will see the same group of characters, same wargear and same strats. It's just not exciting.

It seems like the Veritas Vitae will be a must-take. With an average of 7CP which Marines can bring, it is really easy to burn through all your CP in turn 1 alone. DoA, around 2 re-rolls, the DC HQ upgrade, maybe even DC double move, relics and whatever else is necessary.

I am not sure it is that good. Remember it only kicks on a 5+ per stratagem, not per CP spent. With many of the good strats like DoA being 2CPs, Veritas will likely only net you one extra CP per game.

Out of interest, do Captains regen spent CPs on a 6?

Yay, turn one charges :down:  A great way to ensure that no fun is had and the army is shelved.

Either it works and I win quick, my opponent has no fun, or it fails and I get shot to pieces exposed and have no fun.

I want to play a game, not just a single turn.

Codex was never going to please everybody. I think there are a bunch of sweet looking options myself from what I have read so far.

I am thinking Dante will get a new model and rules in the box (cause that is the way GW said they plan to roll going forward).

- Hopefully anyhow =) He is shamefully under where he should be from the fluff. Same with the Sanguinor methinks. *nod.

On dealing with Chaff - we have a number of ways, but take a good look at the DC folks.

They are a chaff LAWNMOWER who can jump on em where they stand and eat their lunch starting basically immediately if desired.

So there is enough time to get past that skirmish screen and into their meat before things are decided.

If they need a buff it is perhaps delivered by a librarian who does not suffer the need of an aura, Unleash Rage is a travelling power delivered from a very fast platform...

Regarding Aura Buff characters...

I agree that trying to aura buff manuevering randomly charging CQC formations is sub optimal but consider:

Our characters are badass beatsticks in and of themselves now, moreso than before.

Perhaps aura buffing is what they do while they are not beating things down themselves. 

(A captain can perhaps buff advancing razors as the assault closes or the chaff is cleared for instance).

There are a number of redeployment mechanisms avail now also for a more static backfield support and then go forward later role if desired.

Also consider that even when the charge doesn't come off perfect there are a number of instances where the buffs are used in the chaos of developing conditions on the field IMO.

I think just stating aura buffs suck for BA is overstating things a bit, but more importantly I think adjust the need for and expectations of the buff and profit perhaps =)

Edited by Crimson Ghost IX

Cheaper dreadnought though... Perhaps we can get #marchoftheancients trending?;)

But why on earth they keep removing their war gear options I can't fathom. Yay for legacy index flowchart I suppose but it's really clunky

Yay, turn one charges :down:  A great way to ensure that no fun is had and the army is shelved.

Either it works and I win quick, my opponent has no fun, or it fails and I get shot to pieces exposed and have no fun.

I want to play a game, not just a single turn.

You mean like how the lawnmower lists are doing right now?

Frankly, I understand the concern about turn 1 charges.  At the same time, I kind of think this book is what the meta needs right now.  Namely, a rock to the scissors of  the lawnmower, bubble wrapped, -1 to hit over 12" armies that are all over the place right now.  The meta is practically those that can shoot and those that can really shoot.  This codex throws a giant kink into the entire meta and I think it's really necessary to liven things up.

How does the weapon options on the Intercessors read? Can the sergeant take a Bolt Rifle and a chainsword? or must he replace his Bolt Rifle for the chainsword? My thought was being able to take 2 battalions, one with 3 min cost scout squads and one with 3 min squads of Intercessors. 3 backline defense troop choice and 3 frontline/ area denial troops. Then i'd have to come up with 4HQs (which doesnt seem hard as captains and lieutenants are cheap). Then figure out what i need elsewhere. would net me 9 command points.

I'd like to know this too, regular marines can get a power sword in addition to the bolt rifle, hoping thats the same here (but chainsword rather than power sword obviously/sadly)

Re: bubble wrap if you can't leap 'em for the juicy morsels behind because they're too close surely the "fight twice" stratagem will sort it out? CP heavy for sure but if something is worth bubble wrapping...

So I finally got my copy. Lucifer Engines aren't bad at all. It's not an Advance move. It's just a move. On any vehicle except Dreadnoughts. Baal Preds can move an extra 6"+D6" and still fire and all that. Not to shabby. Working on a list now. I'll add it to the other thread. Playing in an ITC tourney tomorrow with the Index Rules. I'm going to get pasted. Lol.

So I finally got my copy. Lucifer Engines aren't bad at all. It's not an Advance move. It's just a move. On any vehicle except Dreadnoughts. Baal Preds can move an extra 6"+D6" and still fire and all that. Not to shabby. Working on a list now. I'll add it to the other thread. Playing in an ITC tourney tomorrow with the Index Rules. I'm going to get pasted. Lol.

Wow, that changes the stratagem’s worth a lot. There are plenty of vehicles that can benefit from that. Especially baal predators with flamestorm and heavy flamers or any transport.

Intercessor sergeants can take a chainsword or can replace the bolt rifle with a chainsword. You get to chose which.

it says you use it before advancing.

Advancing increases your move by the dice roll. This says you increase your m9ve and dont roll.