Blood Angels Codex brief review

JamesI

How does the weapon options on the Intercessors read? Can the sergeant take a Bolt Rifle and a chainsword? or must he replace his Bolt Rifle for the chainsword? My thought was being able to take 2 battalions, one with 3 min cost scout squads and one with 3 min squads of Intercessors. 3 backline defense troop choice and 3 frontline/ area denial troops. Then i'd have to come up with 4HQs (which doesnt seem hard as captains and lieutenants are cheap). Then figure out what i need elsewhere. would net me 9 command points.

I'd like to know this too, regular marines can get a power sword in addition to the bolt rifle, hoping thats the same here (but chainsword rather than power sword obviously/sadly)

May replace his bolt rifle with a chainsword or take a chainsword in addition to his other weapons.

Weird. Never seen an entry worded like that before. Just take it in addition every time.

So I finally got my copy. Lucifer Engines aren't bad at all. It's not an Advance move. It's just a move. On any vehicle except Dreadnoughts. Baal Preds can move an extra 6"+D6" and still fire and all that. Not to shabby. Working on a list now. I'll add it to the other thread. Playing in an ITC tourney tomorrow with the Index Rules. I'm going to get pasted. Lol.

it says you use it before advancing.

Advancing increases your move by the dice roll. This says you increase your m9ve and dont roll.

Yeah, but it says increase your move characteristic by 6". Move characteristic has nothing to do with advancing. It's just a D6.

So I finally got my copy. Lucifer Engines aren't bad at all. It's not an Advance move. It's just a move. On any vehicle except Dreadnoughts. Baal Preds can move an extra 6"+D6" and still fire and all that. Not to shabby. Working on a list now. I'll add it to the other thread. Playing in an ITC tourney tomorrow with the Index Rules. I'm going to get pasted. Lol.

Advancing increases your move by the dice roll. This says you increase your m9ve and dont roll.

Yeah, but it says increase your move characteristic by 6". Move characteristic has nothing to do with advancing. It's just a D6.
Advancing increases your move by d6. That is how it is worded in the rulebook.

Advancing increases your move by d6. That is how it is worded in the rulebook.

I guess you're right. It's just worded really weird. Damn.

How does the weapon options on the Intercessors read? Can the sergeant take a Bolt Rifle and a chainsword? or must he replace his Bolt Rifle for the chainsword? My thought was being able to take 2 battalions, one with 3 min cost scout squads and one with 3 min squads of Intercessors. 3 backline defense troop choice and 3 frontline/ area denial troops. Then i'd have to come up with 4HQs (which doesnt seem hard as captains and lieutenants are cheap). Then figure out what i need elsewhere. would net me 9 command points.

Intercessor sergeants can take a chainsword or can replace the bolt rifle with a chainsword. You get to chose which.

Awesome! so a 453 point Troop investment +HQs gets us 9 command points and plenty of other slots to fill. Possibly even add a Vanguard detachment.

I'd like to know this too, regular marines can get a power sword in addition to the bolt rifle, hoping thats the same here (but chainsword rather than power sword obviously/sadly)

May replace his bolt rifle with a chainsword or take a chainsword in addition to his other weapons.

Weird. Never seen an entry worded like that before. Just take it in addition every time.

huh.

really strange.

seeing as chainswords are free, it makes no sense. Its also weird because its a deliberate wording change from the Codex Marine version, where it just says "The Intercessor Sergeant may take a power sword." No mention of replacing or anything.

Wonder what they're thinking.

I'm still so bitter about the lack of power swords though, especially as in the stream they said "You'll be able to use all the models you can build" but the Intercessor Veteran Sergeant model has a power sword which we cannot use *cries*

I am not sure why intercessors get the option to take the chainsword or replace to get chainsword but nice to get options.

Codex Marine ones get to take power swords in addition to their bolt pistol and bolt rifle.

Wording is just simpler for the power sword one.

Very odd, a chainsword is better than nothing at least, and it's free.

Maybe I missed it, but did we find out if the Sanguinary Guard weapons changed in price?

Sword went down a point.  Axe stayed the same.  Power Fists down to 12.

Angelus Bolter down to 3 points.Infernus Pistol down to 9.

The cheapest possible Sanguinary guard is down to 35 points per model (sword or fist and Angelus Bolter).

Great work, James| !

-regarding successors: I, 95% of the people I play with, and I would think even most tournament organizers would be 100% fine having someone with a Successor Chapter (Carmine Blades, Angels Vermillion, the Blooded Bloody Bloodbank Haemotologist Angels of Bloody Blooded Blood Blood, or what have you) going “counts-as” Blood Angels for the purpose of actually gettin to use be book and most of its contents. The trick is you just can’t have Seth and Dante buffing each other, etc... and other common sense. I know the principal of the insult still remains, but I would hope as a collective community we would do the obvious and make things enjoyable for everyone

-any changes to Astorath? Scuttlebutt is that Astorath is almost a must-take, perhaps more than Lemartes...but if it’s the same as the Index, I am not getting it.

Great work, James| !

-any changes to Astorath? Scuttlebutt is that Astorath is almost a must-take, perhaps more than Lemartes...but if it’s the same as the Index, I am not getting it.

Thanks!

Astorath looks pretty good to me.  His axe is now Strength +2, so back to what he was back in 5th edition.

I think his main advantage over Lemartes is his abilities work even if not playing Death Company and Lemartes is pretty much useless without playing Deathcompany around him.

Personally I dropped Astorath after my first game to try Sanguinor instead and added a regular chaplain in Astorath's place to save points.

I would generally take Astorath over Dante, mainly due to saving around 70 points.  

As for the comment on Successors, I agree all of us will just say we are Blood Angels.  Just disappointing that I can't put my keyword as Angels Vermillion without giving up things from the codex.

BOLS review of the Codex indicated that roboute guilliman made Dante the Regent of Imperium nihilus, and that the blood angels are bigger then ever, (they took 40,000  aspirant before the Hive fleet showed up, gave them guns and told them anyone who survives get to be a space marine). Can anyone confirm this?

It seems like the Veritas Vitae will be a must-take. With an average of 7CP which Marines can bring, it is really easy to burn through all your CP in turn 1 alone. DoA, around 2 re-rolls, the DC HQ upgrade, maybe even DC double move, relics and whatever else is necessary.

I am not sure it is that good. Remember it only kicks on a 5+ per stratagem, not per CP spent. With many of the good strats like DoA being 2CPs, Veritas will likely only net you one extra CP per game.

Out of interest, do Captains regen spent CPs on a 6?

As an Ultramarine player I can vouch for this. It may not sound like much and there are times where you may not get anything back. Looking back though, most games were made much easier because of how reliable I could make my dudes with the repeated spam of CP.

I have one question only.Are land speeder storms an option like Warhammer Community said they would be?

land speeder storms are a dedicated transport option.

Great effort James.

Quick question

Have death masks changed at all?

2 points per model but you can't give them to specific sang guard anymore. Whole squad or none.

@JamesI

Have they changed the pts cost for the Terminator Ancient or the weapon options for Furioso/DC Dreadnoughts?

Terminator ancient is unchanged in points.

Furiosos and dc dreads are base cost cheaper. The only weapon cost change is frag cannons are 38 now

It seems like the Veritas Vitae will be a must-take. With an average of 7CP which Marines can bring, it is really easy to burn through all your CP in turn 1 alone. DoA, around 2 re-rolls, the DC HQ upgrade, maybe even DC double move, relics and whatever else is necessary.

I am not sure it is that good. Remember it only kicks on a 5+ per stratagem, not per CP spent. With many of the good strats like DoA being 2CPs, Veritas will likely only net you one extra CP per game.

Out of interest, do Captains regen spent CPs on a 6?

As an Ultramarine player I can vouch for this. It may not sound like much and there are times where you may not get anything back. Looking back though, most games were made much easier because of how reliable I could make my dudes with the repeated spam of CP.

Out captains do not let us regen command points except through an artifact