Blood Angels Codex brief review

JamesI

Ill definetly give them a crack at some stage seb, but I think running DC and sang guard in the one list might be a trap.

Sang guard with a priest and ancient synergise so well. Really tough unit with the priest bringing them back! I have to try it!

It seems like the Veritas Vitae will be a must-take. With an average of 7CP which Marines can bring, it is really easy to burn through all your CP in turn 1 alone. DoA, around 2 re-rolls, the DC HQ upgrade, maybe even DC double move, relics and whatever else is necessary.

I have a feeling that lists will not be limited by points, but by Stratagems. For example, you’d run either SG or DC in order to maximise resources and Stratagem use for that unit. If you mix too much, you’d be like my last Nid opponent, who burned 11 out of 12 CP in turn 1 and then had to suffer for it.

Hm, maybe the rather lame SM Strats are a blessing, for they teach you temperance and you will never be able to use all of them turn 1.

Edited by Frater Cornelius

I'm excited and disappointed all at the same time. Some things that so blatantly needed attention have been neglected, Dante for example, why is he so expensive? I assume they thought anything with a jump pack can now use the specific strays so left them expensive. I can however see some decent lists that will work in my local gaming environment, but I highly doubt would be competitive in wider tournaments

James - sorry the quoting system didn't seem to work for me.

Can you please confirm that if I use a successor chapter I do not have access to any relic other than the hugely disappointing sword relic?

Thanks for the all the info buddy, the rules for the units sound great -  your answer potentially renders my entire homebrew mute....

Can you please confirm that if I use a successor chapter I do not have access to any relic other than the hugely disappointing sword relic?

Thanks for the all the info buddy, the rules for the units sound great -  your answer potentially renders my entire homebrew mute....

It already got confirmed multiple times now. It is as it is unfortunately.

Just play your guys as counts-as Blood Angels and don't take any of the special characters if you want access to your relics. ;)

Now I have a question for james as well tho! Do we have the “create your own Chapter Master“ Stratagem or is the “create your own Deathcompany Captain“ one our equivalent?

Sanguinary priest has no optins at all. If you want anything other than bolt pistol and Chainsword, use the index entry.

Aww man, not again!

That's the second time GW invalidates one of my Sanguinary Priests! First was the TDA and now this!

:censored: GW

:down:

If it was legal in the index it's still legal now, though I'd advise against building anything not codex legal as I don't have faith that'll last long term.

He has confirmed that, bud. :( Sorry. 

Sanguinary priest has no optins at all. If you want anything other than bolt pistol and Chainsword, use the index entry.

Aww man, not again!

That's the second time GW invalidates one of my Sanguinary Priests! First was the TDA and now this!

:censored: GW

:down:

If it was legal in the index it's still legal now, though I'd advise against building anything not codex legal as I don't have faith that'll last long term.

Both TDA priest and power sword priest were codex legal before. 

This is a disgrace. I :censored:  hate it when my work gets invalidated and all my efforts go to waste.

How hard is it GW? DON'T REMOVE WARGEAR OPTIONS FROM ONE CODEX TO THE NEXT!

If I were a negative person I'd theorize GW not giving BA specific units much love so people can get used to the thought of not using those units anymore for the time when they switch their focus fully over to the Primaris line.

The rationalist in me however says that it wouldn't make much sense to ignore Dante then since they just set him up to be one of the most important people in the imperium and it also doesn't seem like they want to squat Mephiston either. :P

Soo...anybody got an idea why we don't get a Blood Angels Reivers box but every other infantry as BA version? :huh.:

They have different (cu down) shoulder pads, the upgrade sprue wouldn't work.

Makes sense I guess. Too bad that the shoulder pads are the only things I wouldn't be using anyway tho. :sweat:

Okay digesting everything... Pretty cool overall. I think a solid rounded list will be:

-Sanguinor

-Lemartes

-Ancient

-Large Beatstick DC unit that can 93% a charge on turn 1

-Scouts for board control/ objectives

-Second wave combat units

-Psykers

-Fire support and flyers

3D6 charge is baller as hell. Such a fan of that.

I think our only issue is that ALL OF OUR CHARACTERS ARE SO COOL!

I'm nicely hyped to be Red again. Sad about the Baal and Dante but I'm convinced he'll be getting and upgrade at some point anyways.

If I were a negative person I'd theorize GW not giving BA specific units much love so people can get used to the thought of not using those units anymore for the time when they switch their focus fully over to the Primaris line.

The rationalist in me however says that it wouldn't make much sense to ignore Dante then since they just set him up to be one of the most important people in the imperium and it also doesn't seem like they want to squat Mephiston either. :tongue.:

Custom armies is an issue across the board. Not just with Blood Angels. They can't let them languish forever. Eventually I think we'll see a book that lets you create your own special characters and relics. A la the design rules for Land Raiders in Chapter Approved.

The rationalist in me however says that it wouldn't make much sense to ignore Dante then since they just set him up to be one of the most important people in the imperium and it also doesn't seem like they want to squat Mephiston either. :tongue.:

Custom armies is an issue across the board. Not just with Blood Angels. They can't let them languish forever. Eventually I think we'll see a book that lets you create your own special characters and relics. A la the design rules for Land Raiders in Chapter Approved.

Maybe for Open Play, yeah.

However that wasn't what I was talking about at all lol

Now I have a question for james as well tho! Do we have the “create your own Chapter Master“ Stratagem or is the “create your own Deathcompany Captain“ one our equivalent?

The DC strat is our equivalent