Iron Falcons Chapter

Tortirioan

As the person who started the Liber Astartes website and maintained it for nearly a decade, the fact that multiple people use a Chapter name is NOT uncommon. By the time I retired the site and just created the forum here, there were 5285 Chapters on the list. The name "Iron Falcons" appears at least 3 times. 

Heck GWs own lore even hints at names being reused. For example the current rendition of the Minotaurs is suggested to not be the original. 

So just go with it. 

Thanks I think I will. Was thinking "Halo Hawks" then have them have their home system based in the Halo Stars to give it a double meaning. But I still love the Iron Falcons Name.

I say just go with ‘Iron Falcons’ and make a damned good job of it. :thumbsup:

I agree..... I'm sure that in the 10k year history of the Astartes there have been two or more chapters with the same name crushing chaos in different corners of the galaxy, totally unaware of each other. Keep it.... its a cool name and fits too well with your theme to give it up.

The Iron Falcons as I see them would be split up across the galaxy in smaller units so it would make sense that no one would have heard of them. Thanks for the suggestion.

But anyway here they are, have most of the parts ordered for my walker tanks. I really want to figure out how to do a transport with legs but they do not seem comparable.

Attach the hull of a Genestealer Cult Goliath to the legs of an Admech Onager.

Thanks so much, Will look into doing that!

Alternatively, you can use "ferric" in place of "iron", though the name "Ferric Falcons" may have people asking if your Chapter is related to the Iron Hands. You can also name the Chapter after the various ores used in iron production, e.g., "Magnetite Falcons", or "Siderite Falcons", etc.

Will use him for now, I have a standard Primaris Captain which i need some parts to finish. I want to use this and another that looks very much like him to be lieutenants (please GWs make Gravis Lieutenants!)

gallery_103657_14010_236912.jpg

I am hoping to get my hands on some standard tactical marines here in the near future. A buddy sold me a bunch of his old stuff, but.... there are mono piece metal orks in the batch and the plastic space marines I have seen are not really to my liking. He is giving me another box so hopefully I will be able to build a tactical squad or two with the parts he gives me.

As the person who started the Liber Astartes website and maintained it for nearly a decade, the fact that multiple people use a Chapter name is NOT uncommon. By the time I retired the site and just created the forum here, there were 5285 Chapters on the list. The name "Iron Falcons" appears at least 3 times.

Out of interest, is that list of 5285 still available online anywhere?

Would be interesting to flick through...

Way back machine may have it.

We've tried to put it up here but is pretty daunting to format the list to work on the forums and so the few times a group has been put together has tried, it has collapsed after a bit.

But that is something you can take up with me in PM if you like so we don't derail Tortirioan's thread.

photo-thumb-103657.jpg?_r=1513046515

Way back machine may have it.

We've tried to put it up here but is pretty daunting to format the list to work on the forums and so the few times a group has been put together has tried, it has collapsed after a bit.

But that is something you can take up with me in PM if you like so we don't derail Tortirioan's thread.

photo-thumb-103657.jpg?_r=1513046515

Don't mind me, I am just assembling minis over here. Got my Primaris Apothicary 90% done, he is kinda a boring mini, almost no customization at all considering how many tiny parts he has.

So here is the next addition to the chapter, we all need an Apothecary to care for the wounded right? This mini was cool because I put it together so quickly, he is a little boring as I said before, so many little pieces and parts, and not all that much customization. Meh, he is what he is, and I like him.

gallery_103657_14010_9988.jpg

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! (well Christmas eve anyway)

So yesterday I managed to get these two lovely gentlemen put together, I am not a huge fan of the Reiver models. The right shoulder pad is fixed onto the arms, there is no way to make it my own custom shoulder pad. Some of the poses are nice but the kit I received the mold lines are kinda big, it's annoying but not a huge deal i suppose. Their weapon choices bug me as well. There is no option for the combat knives in the sheath while they use different weapons, they allow for the grappling hooks to be holstered which I like but it seems a little BS to me.

Anyone know of a place that does little rope coils for attaching to belts? I want to add them to all my units to get more into my mountain warriors theme.

Anyway Merry Christmas and I hope everyone is doing well!

gallery_103657_14010_383145.jpg

gallery_103657_14010_503320.jpg

Space Marine scouts have ropes, and some of the old Empire sprues do too iirc

Which scouts? I just got done with one scout squad and am half way through assembling another. I am trying to figure out what to search for them *chuckle* I may just have to end up using thin wire or something  for it.

I think it's the ones from the Landspeeder Storm..? I only bought that and sniper scouts this time round, but my bitz box has bits from c.2000...

Found them, though can't seem to find any of just the bits. All sold out, and don't feel like shelling out 25 buck for 2 coils of rope per box *chuckle* am gonna look into making my own using some ship model techniques. Thanks for letting me know about those!

Nice DIY chapter you got yourself there, I really like the focus on mountain warfare, as it's something you don't see enough IMHO.

I'm eager to see more of it!

Thanks, I finished my first reiver yesterday, putting on a couple more bits then I will be posting the rest of them.

So here are my first squad of Reivers. As I said I dislike the way the weapons and arms of these minis are cast. I wanted to brain myself several times trying to figure out how to pair them up to get the shapes and styles i wanted. But some of the minor style details I enjoy alot. Despite their problems I enjoy how they came out.

The grav-chutes are a royal pain, and super flimsy, any ideas on how to improve them?

I will be posting some back story here soon, have hammered out a bunch of it but am working out the details now.

gallery_103657_14010_142987.jpg

I was thinking of giving my Reivers the small mkII Heresy jumppacks.

The Backstory I currently have worked out for them involves them loosing their original home world to warpstorms. So artifacts from that period would have been lost, but not a bad idea even if I am not a huge fan of that design.

_The beginnings of the Iron Falcons are shrouded in mystery while their honors in battle are long. They claim to be a successor chapter of the Raptors chapter, a claim which has never been denied by that honored chapter. Their scant records show that they would have been a part of a founding before the Age of Aposticy though the exact founding is unknown. Records do show however that they were granted a home-world near the north western edge of the Eye of Terror. They also show that the chapters battle doctrine was much more melee focused, using the hit and run tactics of the raven guard but much more reliant on the blade than bolter, in fact bolter craft was almost lost to the chapter during this time. The Chapter's name has also been changed in their history originally having been called the “Hallowed Falcons,” the name change coming about during the 7th Black Crusade.

_When the Iron Falcons received word that their parent chapter was declared destroyed during M37 the chapter determined to avoid their parent's fate and adopted the “Geminae” system which they still employ to this day. The 1st and 10th companies for example always fight together, and are almost a single unit refusing at times to be split apart during an engagement. The 2nd and 9th, 3rd and 8th, 4th and 7th, and finally the 5th and 6th companies all make up the different “Geminae.” Each Geminae is given a nickname by the other companies. These names changing occasionally in relation to events in the Geminae's history. The 1st and 10th for example are traditionally called “The Discipuli” because the Chapter Master and captain of the first company carries the title of Magister. This system has served the Iron Falcons well though it has caused the chapter trouble from time to time.

_During the time of the 7th Black Crusade the Chapter was taking part in several engagements across the galaxy trying to track down and destroy the fleets for the Despoiler during the Ghost War as it is known. The Iron Falcons had fallen into the habit of stationing one of the Geminae on the chapter home-world, both to protect the world and to allow the Geminae to recruit and rearm before venturing back out into the galaxy. At this time the 5th and 6th Geminae were preforming this duty, and the 2nd and 9th companies were on their way to relieve them when a huge warp storm shot from the Eye of Terror and obliterated not only the system but also the 2nd and 9th Geminae as they came into system. This is what the Iron Falcons tell others at any rate.

_The true story however is much darker, the Chapters own scant records show that a chaos fleet under the command of an Alpha Legion war band had been operating in the area for some time, stirring up cultist activity in the system but doing it so subtly that the Iron Falcons had no idea of the treason brewing right under their noses. The assault when it came was much like a storm, the outer systems falling in a mater of days and the Chapter home-world falling under siege in a few short weeks. The 5th and 6th companies were plagued by communications and supply problems. The Alpha Legion having managed to sabotage large sections of the chapter's infrastructure, they were however able to get a weak signal out before they were overrun by the traitors and slaughtered to the last. These events have come to give the 5th and 6th Geminae the name “The Fated.” The distress signals managed to reach the 2nd and 9th Geminae as they were heading into system, however the captain of the 2nd company foolishly decided to charge into the system and assaulted the Chapter's fortress monastery thinking that they came to their brother's aid by dropping almost onto the monastery from orbit with drop pods. This was a fatal mistake as they were almost totally blasted from the skies by anti-air defenses captured by the traitors. The battle brothers who survived managed to inform their brethren in orbit of what had occurred before they made their last stand. The ships in orbit broadcast a wide band distress signal before they were engaged and destroyed by orbital defenses captured by the traitor forces. These events have lead to the 2nd and 9th Geminae being given the name “The Unyeilding.”

_The distress call was received by several stations belonging to elements of the Iron Hands Chapter stationed on Medusa as well as Imperial Guard and Inquisitional forces which were paroling near the Eye of Terror. These forces converged on the Iron Raptors home-world only to find the Alpha Legion gone and their cultist followers attempting to open a warp rift on the chapters home world. The Inquisitor in charge of the fleet immediately began to conduct an Exterminatus campaign on the System. And with the help of the Iron Hands the system was soon cleansed, though the Iron Hands did attempt with some success to regain some of the Iron Falcons war gear and more importantly some of their stored gene seed which had remained hidden from the traitor forces.

_The chapter was in a terrible plight though the survivors did not know it at the time. The 1st and 10th companies, then known as “The Blessed” were serving along side the White Scars in the south eastern most portion of the Halo Stars on a world which was under attack by Dark Eldar forces. While the 3rd and 8th then as now called “The Favored” were serving along side the Raven Guard against traitor war bands. The 4th and 7th called afterwards the “Black hands” fought with honor along side the forces of the Salamanders chapter against the mechanical horrors known as the Necrons in the Segmentum Tempestus. All the Geminae took heavy losses during this fighting but none more than the Blessed. The style of fighting they had perfected was not well suited for the shift and cowardly Dark Eldar. However when news reached them of the fate of the home-world the Chapter Master recalled his forces from across the galaxy to his banner. Their combined might along with the Iron Hands who had come with the news and the White Scars already on the world scoured the Xenos from the system and the surrounding area.

_The Chapter Master then took council from the other Masters and Captain's present and finding that their numbers were not even a third strength determined to halt their crusade. As the most senior commander present the Great Khan of the White Scars suggested that the Hallowed Falcons should take the world they had just finished clearing as their new home-world and let the chapter recover it's strength. Then the representative from the Iron Hands revealed what they had recovered from the Falcons former home-world before it's destruction. The Chapter Master with gratitude changed the name of the Chapter on the spot to their current name, the Iron Falcons were born, and he vowed that the chapter would learn from it's past mistakes and never let them be repeated.

The backstory looks good so far.

Thanks, I am working on their Homeworld/System data right now. I may also assemble my second scout squad today, but I think I would like to get to painting as well. Assembling can be boring if it is all you do.

So was mucking about with the B&C painter and came up with this, my first attempt ended up having much more of the off white color. But I wasn't sure how much I liked it so this is what I came up with. The bare metal right arm came about as a tribute to the Iron Hands chapter who as told in my back story summary, saved a large portion of the chapter's gene seed and some of their relics. I think it gives an interesting look, what do you all think?

gallery_103657_14010_47702.jpg

Power armor is made of ceramite (I believe it's a ceramic-metal composite), not true metal. Do you mean the right arm is metal-plated, possibly with chrome? (IIRC, Deathwatch members get the left arm of their power armor silver-plated.)

Ceremite (which your right, i screwed up and called it metal) is supposed to be a grey material I believe. The grey knights as I understand them leave their armor unpainted so as to symbolize their purity.

Archived