Iron Falcons Chapter

Tortirioan

So here they are a little boring at this point, but tomorrow I hope to be able to get some base coats on them and start into the detail work. My Hell Blasters arrived today so i do need to assemble them, but time for that later. Here they are I still need to look into vehicles, but that can wait, my pocket book needs time to recover.

There are the Start to my "Command Squad" My Apothecary is taking center stage at the moment as I am still waiting for the bits to come in to finish my Captain, In the back are my Lieutenant stand ins. I really do hope to see Gravis Lts down the road, but for now, power sword and pistols will work for them.

gallery_103657_14010_131539.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Two Captains? Do Iron Falcons Companies regularly deploy as pairs, with one serving as reserves in case the enemy is stronger than expected? Or is the second Gravis armor wearer the Captain's Champion, deputy, or holder of a position in which such armor is necessary for him to perform his duties?

Two Captains? Do Iron Falcons Companies regularly deploy as pairs, with one serving as reserves in case the enemy is stronger than expected? Or is the second Gravis armor wearer the Captain's Champion, deputy, or holder of a position in which such armor is necessary for him to perform his duties?

They are Lieutenants, I got them because I wanted the bits from them to try and make a Captain I liked using the standard Captain, But the bits from the dark imperium pack are really hard to convert, so I am gonna use them as Lieutenants with power swords and bolt pistols like the ones you would get from the dark imperium pack.

Now the Iron Raptors do usually deploy in groups of two, I call them "Geminae." Not sure which companies these guys are right now, but should not matter for the moment. So yes there would be 2 captains in a fluff friendly list, but since I do not have LT models these guys are doing the job

My two rookie (aka from the dark imperium box) Inceptor squads, I lumped them in together mostly because I am not a huge fan of this model, they are a bit of a pain in my butt to put together, and they have a bunch of odd corners which are hard to paint, but they seem like good units from what I have seen and read and they look like a very Iron Raptors type of unit, jump packs for high mobility and heavy firepower, wish you could arm them with something more precise but they will do for now.

gallery_103657_14010_338088.jpg

My Scout Squads, I am considering grabbing a couple more of these guys for my army, those would be standard squads rather than the snipers. The standard scouts are a little more flexible down the road though they do not have that hard long distance punch. These guys came out pretty good, thought I wish there was a way to give my sergeants the custom shoulder pad I have. The Iron Raptors focus on learning from the past and passing on those lessons. So the scout sergeants would be held in high regard and would only be veterans of long standing in the chapter.

Any suggestions how to do that you guys?

gallery_103657_14010_563441.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

gallery_103657_14010_53525.jpg

Intercessors, really like these guys, I had to strip the first pair I worked on because when I tried to use a shade to give the details of the mini the nice dark tones... well it really didn't go well, I have to do some research and figure out how to use the "Army Painter" Quick Shade to better affect. It seems too thick for what I was doing with it which was just slapping it around (I was thinking it would be more like one of the citadel washes).

Anyway, really love these guys, and while I have talked to some guys who say they are too pricey, I can't really agree. Using the squads I have here versus a standard tactical squad with bolters and a multi-meta, 2 squads of each I only gain 54 points between the two and I have 2 times as many attacks with the Primaris marines. I suppose I can afford another squad of basic scouts with those points, but still seems like I get more firepower from the intercessors. Am I looking at it wrong somehow?

gallery_103657_14010_840076.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gallery_103657_14010_542642.jpg

Now the Iron Raptors do usually deploy in groups of two, I call them "Geminae." Not sure which companies these guys are right now, but should not matter for the moment. So yes there would be 2 captains in a fluff friendly list, but since I do not have LT models these guys are doing the job

You should introduce the rank of "Major" to your Chapter, so others can know which of the two Gravis armor wearers is senior, and thus, commands both Companies in a "Gemini".

You should introduce the rank of "Major" to your Chapter, so others can know which of the two Gravis armor wearers is senior, and thus, commands both Companies in a "Gemini".

They are not captains, they are Lieutenants. The chapter makes junior officers focus on melee combat because in their past that was the focus of the chapter, and so it teaches them the benefits and drawbacks of their current and old ways of doing things.

I was going to use "Junior" and "Senior" designations because they would be unofficial titles, and introducing "Major" really doesn't make sense if you use actual military structure. What would the Chapter Master be? the Colonel?

They are not captains, they are Lieutenants. The chapter makes junior officers focus on melee combat because in their past that was the focus of the chapter, and so it teaches them the benefits and drawbacks of their current and old ways of doing things.

I was going to use "Junior" and "Senior" designations because they would be unofficial titles, and introducing "Major" really doesn't make sense if you use actual military structure. What would the Chapter Master be? the Colonel?

Or 1st LT and 2nd LT, which are existing ranks?

Or 1st LT and 2nd LT, which are existing ranks?

There is no 1st and 2nd Lts in the Space Marines as far as I can tell, I am thinking that I will look into a custom title for the "lead" captain of the Geminae. I thought of the 'leader' being the most senior of the two, not in company number but in ability. I was also considering having the chapter master instead of leading the 1st company would lead his own unit which would act as the training and last resort cadre.

I thought of the 'leader' being the most senior of the two, not in company number but in ability.

This seems like a good idea, but how does one determine which Captain has greater "ability"? I doubt we should simply base this on numbers of enemies killed, as warriors historically exaggerate the numbers of enemies faced and killed, not only due to pride and a desire for renown, but to confusion and ignorance (a good warlord can and will exaggerate his own army's size to demoralize the enemy). Basing this on victories won may encourage reckless glory-seeking, which is also an avenue for Chaos corruption (see Perturabo's hunger for glories he thought his Legion deserved, but which others denied him).

Should one determine "ability" based on multiple factors, including number of Imperial citizens' lives saved, value of Imperial infrastructure preserved, etc.? That will get very complicated.

I was also considering having the chapter master instead of leading the 1st company would lead his own unit which would act as the training and last resort cadre.

The Chapter Master leads the 10th Company?

This seems like a good idea, but how does one determine which Captain has greater "ability"? I doubt we should simply base this on numbers of enemies killed, as warriors historically exaggerate the numbers of enemies faced and killed, not only due to pride and a desire for renown, but to confusion and ignorance (a good warlord can and will exaggerate his own army's size to demoralize the enemy). Basing this on victories won may encourage reckless glory-seeking, which is also an avenue for Chaos corruption (see Perturabo's hunger for glories he thought his Legion deserved, but which others denied him).

Should one determine "ability" based on multiple factors, including number of Imperial citizens' lives saved, value of Imperial infrastructure preserved, etc.? That will get very complicated.

__From what I have seen the Space Marines as a whole are pretty good at determining who should be in command in any given situation. And I think it would be assumed that if you've lived the longest as a space marine you are either very lucky, have not seen much action or are good at what you do. I am sure there is some internal politics in any chapter but seeing how the focus of the Iron Falcons is on learning from past mistakes and improving on ones abilities to handle and adapt means that their captains would be good at those things as well.

The Chapter Master leads the 10th Company?

No, the chapter master would lead his own mini company, the codex actually supports this lol.

There is no 1st and 2nd Lts in the Space Marines as far as I can tell, I am thinking that I will look into a custom title for the "lead" captain of the Geminae. I thought of the 'leader' being the most senior of the two, not in company number but in ability. I was also considering having the chapter master instead of leading the 1st company would lead his own unit which would act as the training and last resort cadre.

Sorry, I meant existing in real life! 1LT and 2LT are common NATO ranks.

Been out for a while, life will do that you know. I picked this bad boy up the other day because it was a very good deal (at 20% off) cause of a GW event a local shop was doing, I know these sets are a good deal to begin with so yea, I jumped on it (also got a dark eldar one as well for my girl, she is thinking about getting into the game and professed an interest in them). I seem to be going at this whole thing backwards *chuckle* as a lot of guys seem to buy this first.

I jumped into this bad boy and have the Venerable Dreadnought about 2/3 done, I am waiting for some magnets I have on order as well as some bits I ordered from over seas, they are taking forever to get here! I ordered them in December for gosh sakes! Any who, the Dread was actually pretty fun to put together, am thinking of doing the dual linked laz cannons because my units are very short on heavy vehicle kill at the moment then the arm with the hand on the end with the flamer on it. I think that acts as a power fist and the flamer will be good if little squishies get too close.

gallery_103657_14010_1136456.jpg

The marines will be pretty basic, I need to find a domestic company that will sell the sniper rifles which are easy to convert (only one comes in each box). And my sergeants will get those again. I was unable to find the rules for the standard Stalker Bolters, is it only int he deathwatch codex or something? Missile launcher again I think and a melta gun again cause vehicle sensitive right now and I have been told that the Missile launcher is very versatile in 8th edition.

This may be a dumb question, but are regular space marines (tactical squads) allowed to use Stalker Pattern bolters, I found the Stalker pattern rules in the DW index, but does that mean regular marines cannot use them?

It was a bit of work but finally have my first dreadnought finished. Nothing too fancy about him, other than I used a beeky head in there rather than one of the ones provided. My first attempt to magnetize and I must say that it came out pretty well, both arms have magnets as do all of the right arms shown in the picture. Was a lot of fun to put together and hopefully I can get some actual painting done on him soon.

Just got in my new airbrush, a gravity feed one this time so hopefully it will be a little more efficient in how much paint it uses. pictures of that up soon.

gallery_103657_14010_719604.jpg

This may be a dumb question, but are regular space marines (tactical squads) allowed to use Stalker Pattern bolters, I found the Stalker pattern rules in the DW index, but does that mean regular marines cannot use them?

As far as I'm aware, they get no mechanical bonus for them - on Tactical Marines they're just fancier looking bolters. If you use Sternguard as your basic units though, they'd be ace as special issue boltguns.

• 5 weeks later...

So after the long silence I have returned and this time I am putting up my 2000pt list. I am not going to give specifics as I am sure that is against the rules somewhere but the point total came out to 1996 so I have a hair of wiggle room when it comes to weapon choices for my dreads. 

I would really like to hear what you guys think, I will get some pictures of the work I have been doing soon, I am in the process of making a new photo box and getting a tripod and all that for my camera, so when that stuff gets in and done I hope to have some awesome pics for everyone.

HQ                                     

-Captain

Master Crafted Bolter

Relic Blade

-Primaris Captain

Master Crafted Stalker Bolt Rifle

Powersword

-Primaris Liuetenent

Powersword

Bolt Pistol

Troops                                

-Tactical Squad

x8 Bolters

x1 Lazcannon

-Scout Squad

x4 Sniper Rifles

x1 Missile Launcher

-Scout Squad

x5 Sniper Rifles

-Intercessor Squad

x3 Stalker Bolt Rifles

x1 Auto Bolt Rifle

x1 Auto Bolt Rifle w/ Aux Grenade Launcher

--Intercessor Squad

x3 Stalker Bolt Rifles

x1 Auto Bolt Rifle

x1 Auto Bolt Rifle w/ Aux Grenade Launcher

Transports                         

-Rhino

x2 Storm Bolters

x1 Hunter-Killer Missile

Transports                         

-Primaris Apothicary

Absolver Pistol

Reductor Pistol

-Apothicary

Bolt Pistol

Chainsword

-Company Anchient

Standard of the Emperor Ascendant

Boltgun

-Venerable Dreadnought

Twin Lazcannon

Dreadnought Combat Weapon

w/ Heavy Flamer

-Ironclad Dreadnought

x2 Hunter-Killer Missiles

Hurricane Bolter

Dreadnought Combat Weapon

w/ StormBolter

Fast-Attack                        

-Inceptor Squad

x3 Double Assault Bolters

Heavy Support                   

-Predator Tank

x1 Twin Lazcannon

x2 Heavy Bolters

-Predator Tank

x1 Twin Lazcannon

x2 Heavy Bolters

-Hellblaster Squad

x5 Plasma Insinerators

Is the army battle-forged? Does it fit neatly into detachments?

From the rules for Battle-forged I could find yes, I actually had to cut out 1 Primaris LT because that would have put me over the 3 HQ limit. It gave me the points for the transport though which was nice.

This is a Battalion detatchment

So have my new light box set up, tripod and remote control for my phone camera. I need to experiment with the lighting, right now it is a little too harsh but I am super happy with how clear the images came out. Here is one of the things I have been working on over the last few weeks, I am contemplating closing this thread after I get ready to really start painting so that I can get rid of a bunch of the old and out of date photos and ideas, or should I open a thread in the Astates Page?

-----------------------------

I have started to crystallize my ideas of how the big falcons work for the chapter. I gave them the name "Nuntius" which is Latin of course for Messanger, which is the role I have envisioned for them. When I find a part I like I will put on some cybernetic implants so that they can act as a vox relay and allow the controller to use them as scouts like modern military's use light weight drones. I wish you could give servo skulls or something similar to space marine characters as this would be perfect in terms of game play and fluff.

Fluff wise I like the idea that when a Space marine begins his training to become and officer he is given a young falcon (which are indigenous to their chapter home world) which they have to raise and train in their duties. The Iron Raptors believe that training, learning and adapting are the most valuable skills of a warrior and so forcing them to train an animal gives them a primer into leading troops, taking things back to basics after the trial by fire of leadership as a sergeant.

-----------------------------

Senior-Captain Ravion Iron Falcons Blessed Geminae 10th Company

_Armed with a Sniper Rifle (Master Crafted Bolter) and a Relic Blade.

_Accompanied by his Nuntius, Havoc.

gallery_103657_14010_62332.jpg

Junior Captain Karael Iron Falcons Blessed Geminae 1st Company

_Armed with a Sniper Rifle (Master Crafted Bolter) and a Powersword.

_Accompanied by his Nuntius, Calypso.

gallery_103657_14010_173548.jpg

I would love to hear anyone's suggestions on these guys and my idea on the falcons. Does anyone know a good tutorial for painting feathers/ birds?

They look ace! How come one master-crafted boltgun is a sniper rifle but not the other? It increases the chances of WYSIWYG confusion during the game.

As for feathers, I would do a base colour, wash, and then very dryly drybrush them until I was happy with the colours.

They look ace! How come one master-crafted boltgun is a sniper rifle but not the other? It increases the chances of WYSIWYG confusion during the game.

As for feathers, I would do a base colour, wash, and then very dryly drybrush them until I was happy with the colours.

The Sniper Rifle in fluff would be a Sniper Rifle, but in terms of actual game play it is a MC boltgun as a Captain can't use a sniper rifle (at least that is how I understand it)

Archived