Soulshades Red Scorpions

Soulshade

Basically. New year, new edition, new army.

Ive been fluttering about with my old edition 40K armies since the launch of 8th ed and just not really been feeling any of them. I thought the new Blood Angel codex would of got my juices going, as I play the 9th in 30K. But nope...

You see, I enjoy using those slightly less seen forces. The new Angel book is actually good! Also, my angels are very much in the 30K style. The Primaris stuff just looks silly standing next to them. So Ive gone for a 40K marine force with no option of crossing into the 30K realm.

The Red Scorpions.

Now I like to hit the ground running. I have a 40K event at the back end of January I would love to take these too. This thread is for motivation and place for jotting lists and army composition ideas ect. Heck may be even the odd battle report or two.

So lets start with my current list ideas

First of Ive decided to use the Salamander Chapter tactic until Forgeworld release the Scorpion one. The re-rolls signifying the chapters better maintained war gear and tighter training regime.

Secondly. Forgeworld units have that stigma associated with them. So I don't know how well an entire Forgeworld Chapter would be received. The event has no comp in regards to this but Ive written 2 lists. One which is basically a Primaris force with Culln, the other with some more Forgeworld models.

The Primaris & Culln

Battalion Detachment +3CP

HQ

[360] Culln the Risen - Twin Assault cannon, 2x Heavy Flamer, Tarsus Scorpii, (Warlord: Iron Resolve)

[74] Primaris Lieutenant - MC Auto Bolt Rifle

Troops

[91] 5x Intercessors - Bolt Rifle, Aux Grenade Launcher

Elite

[69] Primaris Ancient - Standard of the Emperor Ascendant.

Transports

[330] Repulsor - 2x Krakstrom, Twin Lascannon, Heavy Onslaught Gat, Las Talon, 3x Stormboters, Auto Launchers

[330] Repulsor - 2x Krakstrom, Twin Lascannon, Heavy Onslaught Gat, Las Talon, 3x Stormboters, Auto Launchers

Spearhead Detachment +1CP

HQ

Heavy

[165] 5 Helblasters - Plasma Incinerators

[160] Predator - Twin Lascannons, 2x Heavybolters

Totals:  2000pts - 104 PL -  7CPs - 8/12 Drops

The plan with this is pretty self explanatory.

Culln is a tank! He is T8, 16 wounds ( thanks to the WL trait ) and a 2+ / 4++ save and a 6+ FNP  save and another 6+ FNP save. The aim is for him to draw a load of firepower.

Culln deploys between the 2 Repulsors both with a cargo of 5 Intercessors and 5 Helblasters. Behind them the Predator, 2 Lieutenants and 5 remaining Intercessors. In the early turns the army moves as one acting as a mobile fire base and trying to keep within Cullns 6inch FNP bubble. Each shooting phase I use Wisdom of the Ancients giving the guys within the bubble a re-roll to hit. Turn 3 or so onwards The force will probably be a bit more spread out. But I will try to keep the Helblasters within the reroll bubble for Wisdom of the Ancients.

Super Leviathan Bro's

Battalion Detachment +3CP

HQ

Troops

Elite

[111] 3 Aggressors - Boltstorm Gauntlets and Fragstorm.

[69] Primaris Ancient - Standard of the Emperor Ascendant.

Flyer

[362] Fireraptor - 2x Quad Heavy bolters, 2x Twin lascannons, Twin avenger Bolt Cannon

Spearhead Detachment +1CP

HQ

[360] Culln the Risen - Twin Assault cannon, 2x Heavy Flamer, Tarsus Scorpii, (Warlord: Iron Resolve)

Heavy

[346] Relic Leviathan - Grav Flux Bombard, 2x Heavy Flamer, Siege Claw & Melta Gun.

Totals:  199pts - 104 PL -  7CPs - 12 Drops

Similar tactics to the above list except the fire raptor can fly off and harass the back field more. The Intercessors act by themselves more running off for objectives and the Helblasters stay near either Dreadnought for the Ancients Strat. Both Levis work in tandem giving the relic version a 6+ FNP buff from Culln and making a large chunk of the board a no go area unless you can deal with them both.

So. Thats where I'm at. Thoughts on the lists guys?

Oh and before I go... heres the test mini I did. Just needs some transfers and a bit of weathering powder

DRrzX4cXUAMc_zw.jpg

DRrzX4MX4AEBK4O.jpg

Great looking Red Scorpions model, although I would strongly advise getting some FW shoulder pads - they really do make a huge difference.

Or the transfers, but they don't look as good. You could weather them in though.

Re: the lists - never used primaris so can't really advise.  My concern with Culln is keeping him alive and getting him into range.  My model is still in pieces however so can't advise on how he plays, either. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

loving the colour scheme looks great. Culln is an awesome character and he easily smashes through most things you can run him against. His special ability with his combat weapon/heavy bolter combo is especially useful against powerful anti vehicle characters. Both lists look pretty solid to me so I'd roll with either depending on which you personally prefer. I don't use Primaris marines myself, but I'm well aware of how they perform after being on the receiving end of them in a tournament recently.

Personally I prefer running lots of dreadnoughts.