What's your favorite piece of lore that's often forgotten?

Kinstryfe

With losing recruits supposidly still such a big thing for chapters, there should be a really important reason the skulls send some of thier psykers to the GK. Recruits they think the GK would be interested in.

Can't help but assume this is just a hidden nod by GW to all the conspiracy fans out there who like to imagine the Skulls are XIII Legion adopted loyalists of the IV Legion...

Sort of a "We know who you are, but we'll keep it down as long as you cooperate with us" kinda deal...

Here's the Silver Skulls excerpt in Dark Imperium.They are (ironically) fighting Iron Warriors.

Close to their position, five enemy Predator battle tanks were rolling backwards, firing as they withdrew, their thicker armour presented towards the main press of the Imperial forces. Their heavy bolters had pinned a squad of Space Marines from the Silver Skulls Chapter behind a burning wreck, and a squad of Heretic Astartes were moving in to flank their position.
'There. To the left,’ said Justinian, his cogitator canting over his intended target to Aldred.
‘A good choice,’ said the yellow-clad son of Dorn.
Together, the Primaris Space Marines jumped, sailing over the heads of the embattled Silver Skulls. Bullets whined past, bolt shells roaring by on the hot blades of rocket motors, and lasbeams cracked the air with miniature thunderclaps. While skyborn, the two Inceptors briefly became a favoured target. Death of various kinds knocked upon the thick plating of their armour, but none could gain entry to the soft meat within.
Justinian heeded a rising shriek from his inbuilt tacticarium, swerving out of the way to allow the rocket it had detected to pass between him and Aldred. Then they were down, and their would-be killers found other things to fire at.
They landed off to the right of the Iron Warriors skulking round through the piles of wrecked machines. Justinian and Aldred had not been seen by their prey, and they took shelter behind a broken-backed Knight carcass. Blasphemous sigils covered its carapace, and its cockpit was cracked open, revealing an ossified melding of man and machine where a human pilot should have sat.
‘They have not seen us,’ said Aldred.
‘They will,’ said Justinian.
He stepped out, both arms at full extension, and opened fire.
The Iron Warriors’ armour was sufficiently thick that they weathered the first flurry of mass-reactive bolts. They therefore had time to register the two Primaris Space Marines flanking them, but several fell before they could return fire.
Justinian’s left assault bolter clicked dry. A red warning sigil shone angrily near the centre of his vision, and he ducked back behind the Knight. The ammo indicator for his second gun flickered.
‘I am down to seven rounds,’ he informed Aldred.
Aldred laughed drily. Seven rounds was a half-second burst.
‘I have only a few more.’
‘We need to reload.’ Justinian pulled up the location of a Primaris resupply pod almost two hundred metres away. ‘I have a location.’
The Silver Skulls were still under fire from the Predators, but thanks to the Primaris Inceptors they were now aware of the more pressing threat. A fierce firefight had commenced between the loyalist Space Marines and the remaining Heretic Astartes.
‘A shame we cannot do more,’ said Aldred.
An explosion ripped up one of the Predators, flinging its burning remains end over end.
‘We do not have to,’ said Justinian.
Three Repulsor grav-tanks fell from the sky like stones, decelerating rapidly and coming to a gentle halt a couple of metres above the ground, right by the flanking Iron Warriors. Their pulsing, aggressive grav impellers knocked the traitors sideways. One of the Iron Warriors yanked a melta bomb from his side and dove under the tank, seeking to attach the charge and destroy the Primaris armour.
The traitor had evidently never faced a Repulsor before.
The tank’s pounding grav engines squashed him flat, leaving a silver, blurred human outline pressed into the ground, leaking blood. The grav-tanks’ anti-infantry weapons made short work of his fellow traitors, and the Repulsors flew onwards, the sand crushed to a glassy shine beneath them. The enemy Predators redirected their fire, increasing their rate of retreat as they volleyed lascannon shots at the Primaris grav-tanks, but the Repulsors were swift as well as dangerous, and they chased down their traitorous tracked cousins, blasting them apart with pinpoint accuracy. They flew over their vanquished foes, buckling the wrecks with gravitic backwash. The Silver Skulls ran after them, the jewels on their pauldrons sparking.

There was a conspiracy to smuggle a Dark Eldar Haemonculi onto Terra during Sanguinala in hopes that he may know how to fix the Golden Throne. It...did not go well.

Really should've put that in spoilers...

The book is almost a year old at this point. That's like asking for spoilers on a movie that's left theaters and has gotten a home release. :/

How about the Genestealer cult that (was) on Terra? Apparently it's been cleaned up now, either through Custodes action, or because OH SNAP DAEMONS happened.

To add an addendum: we've had posts about Watchers of the Throne without spoilers and that books is newer than Carrion Throne. :/

There was a conspiracy to smuggle a Dark Eldar Haemonculi onto Terra during Sanguinala in hopes that he may know how to fix the Golden Throne. It...did not go well.

Really should've put that in spoilers...

We knew it was going to happen anyway, given the previous bit of lore about the Inquisition sending envoys to Commorragh in the hopes of having the Golden Throne fixed.

Probably quite well known by this point, but the fluff piece suggesting that a Grey Knight (possibly Draigo himself!) fell to Chaos upon witnessing Slaanesh, who appeared before him in the guise of an angelic young boy, is delightfully dark and strangely classical. The idea of a mighty warrior who believed himself beyond temptation meeting his undoing at the sight of a young boy is oddly reminiscent of both medieval and Greco-Roman tales (with the implications of pedaresty simultaneously terrifying and hilarious, whilst also oddly fitting given the staunch conservatism of the Imperium and the overall tone of the piece). It's possibly one of my favourite pieces of 40K fluff, and I'm so glad it's survived into modern day 40K.

Another piece I really liked was the one where a feral tribe is given a trial by Abaddon to cast down a smal force of Space Marines, written from the perspective of one of them. There's also the bit from the 3rd edition Necron codex about the tech-priest who saw the true identity of the Omnisiah and tore out his augments to clean himself of its presence. That was really dark and seriously well written.

They never mention if it's Draigo, just a Silver Knight. I kind of want it to be Draigo because that'd be an interesting twist, but knowing GW it's an Iron Warrior or something.

Anyone remember the fluff about Tzeentch's gatekeeper who asks riddles and kills anyone who answers wrong, but is deaf so can't hear the answers? And how a little girl and her dog (a possible Wizard of Oz reference?) managed to get past him, only for him to complain that she cheated? I've always wanted a story about THAT.

Lucius' revival method has always been a bit funny but I did see someone pose an interesting question: if Lucius ends up reviving several sectors away from where he died in the body of a random Guardsman with no idea of where he is or how he got there, does that make it like a 40k version of The Hangover?

Anyone remember the fluff about Tzeentch's gatekeeper who asks riddles and kills anyone who answers wrong, but is deaf so can't hear the answers? And how a little girl and her dog (a possible Wizard of Oz reference?) managed to get past him, only for him to complain that she cheated? I've always wanted a story about THAT.

Did she ask him what the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Did she ask him what the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

I don't know honestly. It's never mentioned what she did to "cheat" (perhaps counter-riddled with "what's in my pocket?" Hobbit style) but I've always wanted to know.

There's also the bit from the 3rd edition Necron codex about the tech-priest who saw the true identity of the Omnisiah and tore out his augments to clean himself of its presence. That was really dark and seriously well written.

That was Cortswain, the first man to witness a C'tan and whose ramblings started a heresy inside the mechanicum.

That's the reason the first necron codex can still be read like a lovecraft novel. All the implications of something terrible waking up after aeons waiting. I love it.

That kind of puts pay to the old notion that Space Marines who met the Grey Knights are memory wiped. Kinda hard to save recruits for a chapter you can't remember existed...

Not once do they mention the Grey Knights mind wiping Marines. The Inquisition killing/castrating the survivors of the first Armageddon war, sure, but not the Grey Knights themselves.

The Armageddon War survivors were sterilized and put into concentration camps. A few were killed trying to escape (and some managed to escape, thanks to the Space Wolves). And there is older fluff (previous Codex, I do believe) where the Grey Knights mind wiped Space Marines, to preserve some secrets. Not to the point of utterly wrecking them, but they'd be suddenly missing the last few days and wondering when these Grey Knights showed up.

Chapter masters and the highest ranking officials (apothecary/librarian etc) were aware of the grey knights and most lower ranking marines were mind wiped.

Of course there were exceptions to this. Some chapters knew openly of the grey knights and were either sworn to secrecy our chose it.

My personal belief is that the imperium as a whole pretty much treats the grey knights how the dark angels treat the fallen. The Highest ranking and only the most need to know people actually know about the knights of titan.

Tau sniper drones being armed with rail rifles and broadsides being armed with rail guns. The original WD pathfinder rail rifle gunner possibly cooking their brain trying to use the HW target lock was kinda funny.

Tau saw giant robots as impractical and used aircraft/spacecraft to deal with titans.

Klingons before they started to listen to metal.

Bobby G secretly creating a 2nd founding chapter that was actually a cover for a colony for all the cute widdle kitties he collected during the GC.

That kind of puts pay to the old notion that Space Marines who met the Grey Knights are memory wiped. Kinda hard to save recruits for a chapter you can't remember existed...

Not once do they mention the Grey Knights mind wiping Marines. The Inquisition killing/castrating the survivors of the first Armageddon war, sure, but not the Grey Knights themselves.

The Armageddon War survivors were sterilized and put into concentration camps. A few were killed trying to escape (and some managed to escape, thanks to the Space Wolves). And there is older fluff (previous Codex, I do believe) where the Grey Knights mind wiped Space Marines, to preserve some secrets. Not to the point of utterly wrecking them, but they'd be suddenly missing the last few days and wondering when these Grey Knights showed up.

I know that's the old lore, but the current codex never mentions the Grey Knights doing any of that. They pin all the blame for what was done on Armageddon on the Inquisition and no one mentions mind wiping loyalist chapters.

If we're talking about "retgone" one of the earlier versions of the first battle of Armageddon had one of my favourite bits of fluff. At the time the GK did not own enough Terminator armour for the campaign, so they had to commandeer a bunch from other chapters.

The human renegade portion of the Chaos forces sees a bunch of terminators arrive in the liveries of over a dozen chapters, assume over a dozen actual chapters have arrived to defend the planet, and immediately surrender. Leaving only the World Eaters and Daemon forces to contend with.

Has anyone mentioned 'Xenology' yet - there's an interesting (and mildly crazy) book.

In a similar vein, the old Liber Chaotica books were pretty fantastic. I guess technically they were for fantasy, but Chaos is Chaos. Also, the scholar penning them in the Old World had visions of Defilers and Chaos Space Marine while "researching" Chaos.

Archived