What's your favorite piece of lore that's often forgotten?

Kinstryfe

Half the 40k smutfiction on Ao3 is Space Marine related so I doubt they had much of an impact in the 'awkward fanfiction' department :whistling:

I think Space Marines generally consider it a wasteful activity like painting or singing. Frivolous and impractical.

BL books have had those kinds of scenes before though,@Lord_Caerolion. Most notably in the Gaunts Ghosts and Eisenhorn series. Its just that they often use Dan Abnetts famous 'fade to black' device the moment it starts lol

Oh, never meant they can't reference sex, more saying they tend to ignore anything that happens to a Marines groin region. Also, those book scenes you mention are all between normal humans, there has never been any official Marine-on-Human action. Human 'intimacy'? Sure. It's the Astartes that they've never said one way or another. I mean, the size difference alone...

Half the 40k smutfiction on Ao3 is Space Marine related so I doubt they had much of an impact in the 'awkward fanfiction' department :whistling:

I think Space Marines generally consider it a wasteful activity like painting or singing. Frivolous and impractical.

I didn't need to know that >.<

As for frivolous activities, the Blood Angels are famous for their artists who paint and sculpt at least. Emperor's Children were also into arts before they went to become the intergalactic heavy metal band on every drug in existence. 

Half the 40k smutfiction on Ao3 is Space Marine related so I doubt they had much of an impact in the 'awkward fanfiction' department :whistling:

I didn't need to know that >.<

As for frivolous activities, the Blood Angels are famous for their artists who paint and sculpt at least. Emperor's Children were also into arts before they went to become the intergalactic heavy metal band on every drug in existence.

And the White Scars are a chapter full of poets.

White Scars have a battle cant that require you to know the very specific poetic phrases and what they mean to the natives of their planet as well as the locations they reference just to be able to understand it.

I recall, and I don't know where this dates back to so it could be a retcon sort of deal, that some Fallen would start families upon being freed from the Warp.

BL books have had those kinds of scenes before though,@Lord_Caerolion. Most notably in the Gaunts Ghosts and Eisenhorn series. Its just that they often use Dan Abnetts famous 'fade to black' device the moment it starts lol

Oh, never meant they can't reference sex, more saying they tend to ignore anything that happens to a Marines groin region. 

Well there was the time an Emperor's Children Marine stabbed an Iron Hands Terminator in the groin with his power sword and then proceeded to activate it, sending the normally stoic Terminator into paroxysms of pain that allowed the EC to get on his feet and behead the dude...

From the HH short stories I believe.

White Scars have a battle cant that require you to know the very specific poetic phrases and what they mean to the natives of their planet as well as the locations they reference just to be able to understand it.

And the Raven Guard have one that is just a series of clicks and low whistles. The Alpha Legion infiltrators almost gave themselves away by not understanding it.

They also, I believe, use an intricate set as heck hand gestures to communicate when absolute silence is needed.

Pretty sure the first is referenced in Deliverance Lost. The second I'm less sure about, but I remember reading it somewhere.

TL; DR but my favourite piece of lore that many people forget is that Mk7 Eagle Armour was present during the heresy and used by the 3 loyal Legions at the siege, probably in numbers much larger than your actual average HH game size. 

Two of my favourites.  The Callidus Assassin that used polymorphine to imitate a Genestealer.

And 'Deathwing'.  When the Dark Angels had lost their homeworld to a genestealer invasion and the Terminators there painted themselves white and went to eradicate the invasion that had doomed their homeworld, and therefore doomed their chapter...

Edit: And the Sensei. :wink:

Edit: How could I forget this!

The Shock Attack gun teleporting a snotling into a Terminators helmet, and the little dude being so terrified he killed the terminator by drowning him in defecation! ;)

My fave bits of forgotten lore:

- Loyalist Marines were routinely mind-wiped after encountering Chaos (and Guardsmen were destroyed)

- After the Heresy, Marine Chapters no longer had their own fleets, instead being reliant on the Imperial Navy as a way to prevent a rogue Chapter from easily attacking or escaping another Imperial planet / force

- Marine Chapters could be themed after animals or cultures without requiring Lord Kjarl Icewolf bedecked in Viking braids and seventeen wolf pelts riding upon his wolf-mount Frosthowler and armed with his runic space axe Wurmpuncher and deploying from his longboat-class Odinlokithor assault ship.

- Orks could competently and consistently manufacture vehicles and weapons, including tanks, were organized into distinctive clans that went beyond mono-tone color schemes, had a variety of aesthetic schemes based on things like Native Americans, Mongols, or ww2 Germans/British rather than simply going "hey let's take the lack of character and exaggerated boss sizing of Tyranids, replace ineffective close combat orientation with an ineffective shooty orientation, and instead of everything looking like the same mutant crab-locust, how about everything look like the same hairless green hillbilly space gorilla?"

- STC templates mean things like Lemans Russ are built to handle countless engine types in case the local environment's primary source of fuel was oil, steam, wood, etc.

- the nature of the Mechanicus and tech is that Imperial vehicles aren't necessarily intended as weapons, but just seem like it. Like, and maybe this is just my own headcanon, but I really want chainswords to simply be chainsaws with ultra-small and balanced engines, and that when the blueprints were recovered in the grimdark 30k, where Terra hasn't had trees for millennia, ignorant tech-barbarians assumed its sword-like shape meant it was intended as a weapon of war. Similarly, I want the Rhino's thin armour compared to Raiders or even Chimeras to be the result of the fact that the Rhino isn't the AFV design of the Rhino chassis, but like the equivalent to a Ford Taurus style family sedan for frontier settlements and that it's only used as a troop transport because it's clearly related to the holy Predator and because the Imperium's never recovered the actual AFC-variant of the Rhino chassis/framework - all basically along the lines of the old lore that sorta stated but mostly kinda implied that Knights were just glorified lawnmowers to clear away forests with chainsaw and flame and some weaponry to deal with native predator beasts

- the Rhino was originally RH1N0

Mandela Effect Forgotten Lore:

- I am absolutely convinced that once upon a time (2nd ed) the fluff was that Guilliman was mortally injured by an Ork Warboss. But nothing I've found in RT/2nd ed sources backs me up on this.

Two of my favourites. The Callidus Assassin that used polymorphine to imitate a Genestealer.

Don't forget the massive amounts of surgery, too! Poly can change your shape, build, etc, but not grow extra arms!

Rubber arms?

Maybe this is why the Guard seem to think the Genestealer's claws are blunt and useless? :P

That we used to have Terminators that look like this:

H5yL3LI.jpg

Wouldn't this guy be like...super easy to outflank. Or does the suit have camera feeds that give him a Panoramic vision inside his helmet?

Hell, the old fluff for MkII and MkIII power armour had that the helmet was in a fixed position, the MkIV was the first with a free-moving helmet.

Technically we might still get armour that looked like that. Alpha Legion forces on Paramar are on record using five patterns of TDA, and even if they stole Gorgon armour from dead Iron Hands and grafted it onto warriors, that only makes four patterns...

I don't think it's been forgotten that Astartes can have an animal theme that isn't wielded like a bludgeon, thanks to Abnett and Wraight's work on the Wolves.

I don't think it's been forgotten that Astartes can have an animal theme that isn't wielded like a bludgeon, thanks to Abnett and Wraight's work on the Wolves.

Or the Salamanders, or Raven Guard, or (if you include Forge World) the Mantis Warriors. Really, it's just the Space Wolves who had the writers momentarily forgetting any word other than Wolf for them. We're just lucky we didn't end up with them being even more ridiculous sounding, with Space Wolves riding Thunderwolves with Wolf-tail Talismans, in Space Armour, armed with Space Bolters and Wolf Claws.

- I really liked Hive Fleet Collossus (Zoats in a new guise). Have been thinking of making a Nid army but making and casting "Collossus upgrade packs", like rebreathers and combat fatigue for Nid models. Nids with personality and ambassadors is something that always caught my imagination. A Tyrant in a Robe with a staff could look pretty neat. The problem is that gaunts don't really fit the theme at all, and a Nid list without gaunts will never function.

- After listening through The Beast Arises, I realized that one thing I miss about the Orks was their old 'material' nature. Sure, they had waaagh energy and so on, but stuff didn't work because they thought it would work. Their equipment worked because it follows the laws of nature. That the the Mekboys knew about them was due to genetic memory and more stuff being 'unlocked' the more waaagh energy you got, so their tech advanced by war basically. That Orks made, by their perspective, rational choices, and cooperation with other aliens was something that happened (kinda like humans might cooperate with xenos if no authority figure is around to stop them). The less 'magic' involved in orks the better basically.

- Something that seems to be returning a bit, but Chaos Undivided. The Word Bearers being the heralds of Chaos Undivided, not being heralds of the four gods. There is a difference, and it matters a bit to me.

Shrike was originally recruited in the underhive on Kiavahr. He never spent any time in the forest like George Mann depicts in his novel.

Old Necromunda fluff implied the presence of forests in the underhive. It's just that they were largely macro-fungal in nature and laced with brain-leaf vines and monstrous spiders.

Archived