Thunderfire Cannons

Firepower

I'm looking into a Land Raider Achilles.

Why is that relevant to this discussion?

Because the main gun can be fired with the same profile as a Thunderfire, in a T8 19 wound body with a 4++.

I plan on parking it in my backfield with my Techmarine warlord hiding between the tracks behind it :wink:

The main gun is actually a Quad Mortar

Did that change when they made the Alpha pattern Achilles? The instructions for my Achilles name the gun as a Thunderfire cannon.

I'm looking into a Land Raider Achilles.

Why is that relevant to this discussion?

Because the main gun can be fired with the same profile as a Thunderfire, in a T8 19 wound body with a 4++.

I plan on parking it in my backfield with my Techmarine warlord hiding between the tracks behind it :wink:

The main gun is actually a Quad Mortar

Did that change when they made the Alpha pattern Achilles? The instructions for my Achilles name the gun as a Thunderfire cannon.

It can shoot Thunderfire shells. It also has Shatter shells, which if I recall are basically a krak missile with extra AP.

Just wanted to update folk. Proof that healthy debate does work.

Your internet privileges have been revoked.  You're clearly using it wrong.

:teehee:

But overall I'm feeling a lot more confident in my purchase, from the opinions and anecdotes provided here. :tu:

Does anyone use a FW rapier quad mortar as a stand in for the Thunderfire? I want to use one but can’t stand the model, just want to know if they’re similar sizes on the tabletop?

The Quad Mortar is slightly smaller and different looking as it has a marine standing on the gun operating it but if you actually own one why would you want to use the regular Thunderfire rules?

The Quad Mortar is superior, cheaper and more flexible imo.

The Quad Mortar is slightly smaller and different looking as it has a marine standing on the gun operating it but if you actually own one why would you want to use the regular Thunderfire rules?

The Quad Mortar is superior, cheaper and more flexible imo.

It’s cheaper, but the index only has rules for the heavy bolter version, and the Thunderfire stratagem seems to be the real reason to take one. Thanks for the size comparison, would you say they’re significantly different sizes or ok for proxy?

There's an FAQ that added the Quad Mortar option. You can download it right now. I'm surprised people don't know this!

It's 85 points for the gun including the 2 operators.

Edited by Ishagu

I have the Rapier Laser Destroyer.  I haven't put it to use but when I do I will probably field it next to a Thunderfire or a bare bones Techmarine to give it some repair support.  They are relatively fragile but the damage output is there for a good price.

Side question, would an Aegis Defense line work for giving a Rapier cover?