bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part one of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Astorath

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you play Astorath?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the Chapter Approved changes affect your list(s)?
  • Are you taking his Warlord Trait?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it babysit anything?
  • Stratagem synergy of note?

Over to you.

Edited by Jolemai

Mass of Doom is very powerful. Even just making pretty much all units in our codex hit on a 2+ for a turn of combat is really massive. The 4++ is a great bonus if it goes off too, but not something to rely on. If he's also in range for the re-rolls to hit it means your attacks are all basically landing.

The more units you get him near the more value you get from that MoD.

Problem is, you can't just drop him then activate Mass of Doom as it happens at the start of your turn, you need to plan... Either hide him and use Wings of Fire or run him up with a body guard.

Mass of Doom looks like it can be powerful but seems redundant given that he already buffs units within 6" with fight phase re-rolls. It could be nice to use then have units move out of that bubble and remain effective at hitting in combat but that's not really a tempting enough carrot for me to try using him compared to other HQ options given the setup and circumstances it seems to require.

Has anyone had any luck employing MoD on the table and is willing to share how it happened and what the setup was?

Maybe he runs with SG? I don't know. He's got one wound more and one attack more than Lemartes, but i need Lemartes to get my DC where they need to go.

I'm thinking he may do well with the SG. Not really sure. I'm looking forward to seeing how people have played him.

Maybe he runs with SG? I don't know. He's got one wound more and one attack more than Lemartes, but i need Lemartes to get my DC where they need to go.

I'm thinking he may do well with the SG. Not really sure. I'm looking forward to seeing how people have played him.

I think this is an interesting route to go down. As odd as it may seem, perhaps he would be best played with non-DC units. For example, he's probably the best buff for RAS we have...

I don’t really see the point of Astorath right now, TBH.

If Mass of Doom was something that you rolled for each Turn...then that would be one thing. But as it stands, it’s a gimmick that isn’t worth it. Maybe bring a unit of 5-6x TH DC dudes and send them at a Primarch with Mass of Doom...otherwise, it seems like more whipped cream than ice cream.

Also, he makes DC Fearless. You know who else makes them Fearless? The Sanguinor as your WL. Let that sink in.

PASS for me unless someone reveals something brilliant or he gets reworked.

The idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. 

Whilst I appreciate you opinion, the context of the thread (and this series in general) is about getting the most out of the unit up for discussion - so anything else is irrelevant; it honestly doesn't matter if there's something better our there as that doesn't help up play Astorath to the best he can be.

In response to the sanguinor comment: if you run Astorath with the death company they get fearless and then have the sanguinor running with your sanguinary guard. Two killy units with fearlessness potentially on opposite ends of the board! Fearless is fearless and if it doesn’t need to take up warlord status or strat’s so much the better!!!!

TL;DR I Think using Astorath as your secondary HQ is the way to go!

Edited by Paladin777

I think this is an interesting route to go down. As odd as it may seem, perhaps he would be best played with non-DC units. For example, he's probably the best buff for RAS we have...
I don't find that odd at all tbh. Just because his job is to off DC it doesn't mean he has to deploy together and fight side by side with them.

Astorath on the table has almost no draw backs for his points. Run him with the Elerium (Sanguinary Guard) and profit.

If you wish it, you could also take something like this; a sub 1500pt list to be added to.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [26 PL, 437pts] ++

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]

. Scout: Boltgun

. Scout Sergeant: Boltgun, Chainsword

+ HQ +

Astorath [8 PL, 143pts]

Captain [6 PL, 129pts]: Jump Pack, Storm shield, Thunder hammer

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [40 PL, 566pts] ++

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [5 PL, 70pts]

. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Power axe

. 4x Space Marine w/ bolt pistol and chainsword

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 135pts]: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

. Two assault bolters: 2x Assault bolter

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 135pts]: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

. Two assault bolters: 2x Assault bolter

+ HQ +

Sanguinary Priest [5 PL, 86pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Jump Pack

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [27 PL, 467pts] ++

+ HQ +

Sanguinary Priest [5 PL, 86pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Jump Pack

+ Elites +

Sanguinary Ancient [6 PL, 101pts]: Angelus boltgun, Death mask, Encarmine sword

Sanguinary Guard [8 PL, 140pts]

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword

Sanguinary Guard [8 PL, 140pts]

++ Total: [93 PL, 1470pts] ++

I’ve been thinking about taking him along with some jump vanguard vets with a mix of plasma pistols and various close combat weapons (see the other topic I started entitled: vanguard veterans loadout). I might even mount them in a LRC.

I think it could be said of Astorath that he’s good for running with any jump infantry: just plain solid!

However for death company, lemartes is better for an attempted alpha strike.

Edited by Paladin777

The elephant in the room is Lemartes as both are often associated with Death Company. While I think Lemartes is a stellar HQ, Astorath have a few perks over the crazy chaplain (most of them have been mentioned but I like lists):

1. His reroll to hit can affect any unit.
  2. He is more durable (2+ save, one more HP)
  3. Damage Wise, the +1 to wound help to get a flat 3 damage and his axe have better AP. Against classic armor (T7-8 3+ save) he actually have slightly better average damage output than Lemmy.
  4. Mass of doom can be quite good but cannot be used with deep strike, use it with transports. He can move as fast as a rhino and won’t be shot because he is a character. Stormraven can also transport him +10 normal infantries or 5 guards.

Use his strengths, don’t play him like Lemartes.

The one thought that comes to mind is the synergy MoD has with Corbs and Vengeance for Sanguinus. Since MoD is at the beginning of your turn timing and positioning might be tricky with Corbs. I think you would probably have to bring him in a rhino and try to disembark get close enough to buff Astorath and your jump infantry

For me, it's the fact his MoD happens before movement that kills him. I usually either go for the SG drop and charge with DoA and/or Forlorn Fury with DC, but MoD doesn't work with either of those prime targets as none of them are in Astorath's range pre-movement.

SG are a bad fit for him, SG are paying for free rerolls near their warlord and should be using it. So for SG, someone like Sanguinor, Lieutenant, Priest, Ancient etc is better, and for DC Lemartes is still better. Even for VV or other units there are better options. Can't see the point in him sadly.

Edited by superwill

In my opinion, MoD is a “second rank fire!” Sort of ability. Something to make that secondary charge still hurt even though you’ve likely taken some casualties. As far as your “first rank fire!” Goes, you’re still getting a potent beat stick in combat that still buffs your guys attacks and Ld without needing to be your warlord leaving you free to take ‘artisan of war’ or maybe Dante or even the sanguinor.

• 4 years later...
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, Jolemai said:

bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part one of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Astorath

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you play Astorath?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the Chapter Approved changes affect your list(s)?
  • Are you taking his Warlord Trait?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it babysit anything?
  • Stratagem synergy of note?

Over to you.

Thread updated for the post-Nephilim world. 

Astorath is another that has come back into contention following the latest update to the game. Are you considering him now?

After 4,5 years first we have to list the obvious:
- MoD is a Litany and can be recited every turn along any other of your choice, so it's a HUGE utility buff
- his default Soulwarden WT is still a good choice
- 2+ Save means he gets the most out of Armour of Contempt rule
- is still a good beatstick character especially when Mantra of Strength kicks in

A great overall utility character that rivals Dante in terms of melee-buffing potential.

• 2 weeks later...