Show us your Custodes - all colours welcome!

I want a brighter gold, so I primed in chaos black, sprayed with retributor, and am yet to decide if I want to dry brush with ironbreaker or auric gold? What do you think? I plan to do the "leather" in black, the plumes in purple, and wash them in gloss reikland.

The GW recipe is pretty bright and that uses retributor followed by reikland wash, highlights of auric gold, liberator gold and edge highlight of runefang steel.

I’d follow that for bright gold whether drybrushing or layering.

I ended up doing this for mine:

Prime: Chaos Black

Spray: Retributor Gold

Drybrush: Auric Armor

Wash: Reikland Gloss

Soft Armor: Bathasar Gold and Nuln Oil

Gems: Ironbreaker

I have three partially through the process, once they are done(with the gold and such, I need to learn how to do glow effects) I will through them up for you guys to comment on.

I really struggle with my Achillus. I want a pose looking like he is stabbing something with his spear twohanden, but I can't get the arms right. Guess I will magnetize first and then try again... problem is the connector between shoulder an lower arm. I hope bluetack will

I need opinions for my bikers, specifically on colors for their pants and leathers. I'm planning on a Kantor Blue shoulder pad trim with storm host silver accent and Spirit Stone Red gems. However, I am torn between black leathers and khorne red pants, vice versa, or possibly doing khorne red leathers with grey pants. My issue is I want to do the cape (?) (the cloth off the hip shield) blue, but I don't want them to look buffoony(?) (too big of a color pallet) or overly "American" (red and blue) or get too dark. Thought?

I really struggle with my Achillus. I want a pose looking like he is stabbing something with his spear twohanden, but I can't get the arms right. Guess I will magnetize first and then try again... problem is the connector between shoulder an lower arm. I hope bluetack will

That was my initial thought as well, but after about an hour of fiddling with blu-tac and such I gave up on it. I'm sure someone out there can make it work - but it'll be very tough. The problem is there's no real rotation of the forearm below the shoulder joint possible, and the large extension of the forearm at the wrist joint limits hand positions (as well as needing to clear the wrist mount weapons with the spear).

I need opinions for my bikers, specifically on colors for their pants and leathers. I'm planning on a Kantor Blue shoulder pad trim with storm host silver accent and Spirit Stone Red gems. However, I am torn between black leathers and khorne red pants, vice versa, or possibly doing khorne red leathers with grey pants. My issue is I want to do the cape (?) (the cloth off the hip shield) blue, but I don't want them to look buffoony(?) (too big of a color pallet) or overly "American" (red and blue) or get too dark. Thought?

Im doing gal vorbak red for leathers and black for pants and cloaks

My first Custodes built and it had to be a Shield Captain conversation I’ve been thinking about since I read the Codex!

Here’s my attempt at Lockwarden Borsa Thursk of the Shadow Keepers, armed with the Veiled Blade, bestowed on him to help him recover that which should remain hidden from Humanity and return it to the Dark Cells.

med_gallery_94068_14257_887721.jpeg

That was my initial thought as well, but after about an hour of fiddling with blu-tac and such I gave up on it. I'm sure someone out there can make it work - but it'll be very tough. The problem is there's no real rotation of the forearm below the shoulder joint possible, and the large extension of the forearm at the wrist joint limits hand positions (as well as needing to clear the wrist mount weapons with the spear).
Hang in there! I love how it looks with two hands on the spear. Here’s my work in progress:

http://i.imgur.com/ZCTWaZR.jpg

http://imgur.com/fhisfng

The second one should also show better how the arms are positioned. Three big tips:

- Just the yellow part of greenstuff does the job of blu tack much better - it’s a lot stickier - but be careful how you use it because it can gum up the gears in some joints. What I ended up doing was using yellow greenstuff to hold it until I had a best guess, then put a tiny drop of superglue on one joint at a time, which you can then snap without damaging the model if it doesn’t fit and reposition. Then once you’re done you can put a few more drops of glue into each joint for strength.

- The spear rotates freely inside the hands until you glue it down, so carefully glue the fingers closed around the spear first as it removes one point of flexibility. Also, attach the wrist guns before positioning the arms - I didn’t and I ended up having to trim down one of the flamers.

- Use your own body as a guide. Stand in the position you want it to be and use a broom as a spear - then pay attention to how your arms are positioned. The big realisation for me was that the hand closer to the blade has to be upside down!

Good luck!

How I did it:

https://i.imgur.com/rXiGh0J.jpg

Reikland Gloss is seriously the magic sauce for these guys.

Absolutely.  I've never been this glad to have the stuff until Custodes.

I use p3 Rhulic gold for my base colour. 

In my opinion, Rhulic Gold is one of the more beautiful gold colors I've worked with - especially over brown.  It's right up there with Vallejo Glorious Gold for me.

Archived