This Thursday on Warhammer TV...

Prot

Win for the TSons.

Imo to a large degree due some lucky rolls turn one (Tzaangor charge on Landraider, Enlightened killing a bike) and Magnus+Mutalith making it into melee turn one.

I also feel like the Landraider worked against the Custodes. Way too expensive and easy to kite/bind for such an elite army. FW Grav tanks will do much better or even just taking one more unit of 3-4 bikes would've done better imo.

TSons have shown some nice mobility with the teleporting shenanigans and disks. Kinda sad that 5 Occult Termis had so little chance against 3 regular Custodes tho lol

I mean if the deep strike stratagem works on magnus, he might be ok, as he will then survive until he can buff himself with -1 to hit and +1 to invul, but yeah, i think i'd rather take ahriman and just use him as a buff machine.

If rubrcs got any cheaper, they will be amazing with the ability to choose a power on the aspiring sorcerer, as well as to teleport them, activate veterans of the long war and unload them into something.

Win for the TSons.

Imo to a large degree due some lucky rolls turn one (Tzaangor charge on Landraider, Enlightened killing a bike) and Magnus+Mutalith making it into melee turn one.

I also feel like the Landraider worked against the Custodes. Way too expensive and easy to kite/bind for such an elite army. FW Grav tanks will do much better or even just taking one more unit of 3-4 bikes would've done better imo.

TSons have shown some nice mobility with the teleporting shenanigans and disks. Kinda sad that 5 Occult Termis had so little chance against 3 regular Custodes tho lol

i'm actually thinking the character bikes along with the raven guard character speeders behind a wall of guardsmen will be a nightmare to deal with...

So I heard we won on points!

Anyone able to provide a quick summary of how it played out?

30 Tzaangor deep strike close to the Landraider and charge it thanks to +1 to charge. Magnus and Mutalith charging 5 Custodes Wardens but fail to kill them due low damage rolls. Mutalith dies. Enlightened kill a bike with a bunch of lucky 6s on their to-hit rolls.

5 regular Custodes disembarg the Landraider, Landraider falls back. They kill one Tzaangor with shooting (lol) and like 18 more in melee (together with morale test), reducing them to 10.

Magnus gets charged by Wardens, bikes and HQ (iirc). Combat drags on to the end of turn 2 where he dies but in the meantime the Wardens got decimated, bikes killed and the warlord died too.

Tzaangors fall back, 5 Occult Termis deep strike behind them. Regular Custodes lose a few wounds. I think Rubric dropped there as well and went for the 4VP objective but I really didn't pay attention to what they did. Probably were shooting at the regular Custodes as well.

3 Custodes Termis drop down a bit outside of his deployment zone as well.

Landraider moves, kills the LasPred which explodes and takes 3 wounds off the Daemon Prince. Regular Custodes charge and kill the remaining Tzaangors.

Ahriman moves off to one of the 2VP objectives, DP re-locates to the Occult Termis and the 4VP objective to deal with the regular Custodes (and dodge the Landraider with Termis embarked).

Occult Termis die in melee against 3 regular Custodes but take one with them. Another dies later by shooting/smiting. DP charges the last regular Custodes and kills it. Meanwhile the Landraider gets charged by disk tzaangors so he has to disembark the two remaining Terminators and fall back with the Landraider.

That's the time where the Custodes player gives up since he has barely anything left and could only realistically get to the 4VP objective and maybe hold a 2VP objective while the TSons player had the same + a lead in VP and more stuff on the board.

So in the end, the Tzaangors did basically nothing....and yet so much. They slowed down the Custodes to a crawl and forced them to deal with them (well Magnus did similar but with killing stuff lol). However I think that largely worked out so well because there was a Landraider they could keep annoying. The Custodes were busy the first two turns with nothing else than dealing with Magnus (and Mutalith) and trying to get rid of the 30 Tzaangors so the Landraider could do something...and later trying to get rid of the disc Tzaangors so the Landraider could do something. xD

Is the Blad of Magnus no longer a flat 3 dmg in combat? You keep talking about bad damage rolls...

Dunno, maybe it was the damage rolls of the Mutalith. I was chatting with a buddy while watching the stream and I'm no TSons player myself. :P

Gents to add something here this is the notes set I took for what part of the battle report that I saw; 

Magnus warlord trait is "know an additional power" he is still a Lord of War, he DOES NOT have the "re roll 1's" invulnerable aura.

Mutalith has an Invul save, it has 14 wounds, it has identical regen to daemon engines (regain 1 wound a turn), it assists units around it rolled for during the shooting phase on a random table, the table has either 3 or 6 possible outcomes (didint hear which) and re-roll assault rolls is one such outcome. The buffs are given within a certain aura. 

Rubrics and Scarab Occult both gain access to spells on the aspirings, no telling if its "any" spell, or just the Tzeentch lore table. 

Tzaangors now have Death to the False Emperor AND can be up to units of 40, I read that a unit of 20+ gain +1 to the "to hit" rolls. 

The Legion Tactic first part is "every spell gains +6 inchs to its range" which for many spells is quite useful, due to context clues and information from the twitch casters I am under the impression it is a 2 part trait, cultists were used in the game and someone asked about the legion trait benefiting Cutlists, and one of the hosts said "oh yeah they will really benefit from being thousand sons!" or something akin to it. 

Glamour of tzeentch is a new spell, -1 to hit a thousand sons unit (makes sense why they nerfed changeling now) 

Doombolt is a high cast value, deals D3 mortals, AND next turn you halve the distance of the unit hit by it that is moving

Fate-caster great bows hits on 6's Negate wound roll and automatically go to damage step. SPECIFICALLY *NOT* mortal wounds, I have heard different values for Damage, one being straight 3, the other being D3 per. same with number of shots, someone mentioned D3 assault per guy (makes enough sense assault per) but we know its more then 1 per model. 

The Vets of the Long war is confirmed! (YAY!) 

A "deepstrike" relic is confirmed, break the relic and pic a unit within a short distance of the caster, immediately re-deepstrike that unit. 

There is also a deepstrike strategem for thousand sons pre-game nominate a unit for 2 cp and they may deepstrike. 

Please add or use wherever needed for this information!  Fix or add to as necessary! 

So I heard we won on points!

Anyone able to provide a quick summary of how it played out?

first turn Tsons teleported a unit of 30 tzaangors via stratagem, warptimed magnus and ran forward with mutalith, prescienced the bow firing tzaangors, who killed 1 jetbike. Magnus and Mutalith charged the elite custodian guard and didn't kill them in combat (killed half the squad). they wounded the mutalith quite badly by this point. Tzaangors charged the Land raider and the vexilla custodian, put some wounds on both but not killed either. 

Custodians then dropped General Trojan Horse (or something like that) to within 3" of magnus due to the stratagem that lets them drop closer near a vexilla (why can't the deathwing terminators do the same is beyond me). Custodian guard exited the landraider and charged tzaangors, landraider fell back. Jetbikes charged magnus, trojan horse charged mutalith. jetbikes did a lot of damage to magnus, trojan killed the mutalith, magnus killed 1 bike in retaliation, trojan then used his relic to fight again vs magnus, did some damage. Tzaangors lost 11 to custodian guard and further 7 to morale. Killed none.

Scarab occults landed behind the custodes that were engaged with tzaangor (tzaangor fell back), they killed 1 of them with shooting. Magnus finished off the jetbike with smite, tzaangor bow people shot the terminator custodians and killed 1. Magnus killed trojan and died to the elite custodian guard that were still in combat.

Custodian terminators embarken in the landraider and the raider killed the predator and 1 scarab occult iirc, predator exploded and wounded D prince. Custodians charged the tzaangors and slightly wiffed by killing only 7 (3 left from a squad of 20). tzaangors killed 1 in return hilariously (he was wouded by scarabs). 

everything fired upon the remaining 2 elite custodians and killed them. The scarab occult shot and charged into the normal custodian guard and killed just 1 and lost 2 in return.

last custodian (troop guy) killed the remaining scarab occult and the land raider moved closer and shot some bow dudes in the face.

Daemon prince and a squad of rubrics teleported with the relic thing to the backline of custodes. Tzaangors with bows charged shot and charged the landraider. Ahriman psychiced the vexilla bearer custodian to death (that guy was hiding since turn 1).

Lone custodian charged the 3 tzaangors on the objective and killed 2. Remaining terminator custodians charged the enlightened tzaangors and killed almost all of them.

At this point there were 4 models for custodians and 9 for Tsons lol

Ahriman jumped onto the objective, rubrics got the backfield objective, daemon prince charged and killed the lone custodian. The shaman and enlightened could also charge the land raider to tie it up and denied the objective it was sitting on.

By that point they either called the game or it ended on turn 5, it wasn't clear.

So, I think the million dollar question is: does it look like the new units/rules are going to help with our anti-tank and anti-horde capabilities?

No I don't think so. The Enligthened do auto-wounds on hit rolls of 6 but it doesn't seem they have super good AP or high damage on those attacks and the Mutalisk has to get into melee to do damage and has only 4 S7 attacks.

However with the discs, the webway stratagem and the dark crystal it's a lot easier to get around the board now so it's a bit easier to harass non-flying tanks. Won't help much against AM parking lots or flying tanks tho.

I think TSons will still have to rely on LasPreds for anti-tank duty.

Very good question. Since the amount of powers you can use a turn is limited and smite is going to be nerfed soon-ish you get really quick into a position where you have too many Sorcerer in your list I fear.

Would be nice if they'd get some special shooting attack. Like a magic missile that's not smite.

Valid question; What the hell do Exalted Sorcerers do now? if we have THIS many spell slingers on the cheap or included in squads why would we take Exalteds? 

artifacts.

And of course non-locked warlord traits. 

But just seeing the Daemon prince with a 4++, 2 spells, and a better stat profile.....they need to bring exalteds up. 

Can anyone confirm T on the Enlightened? I read someone said they were T5 and I am hoping Disc = +1T just like the 7th ed....if true that would make a difference. 

Very good question. Since the amount of powers you can use a turn is limited and smite is going to be nerfed soon-ish you get really quick into a position where you have too many Sorcerer in your list I fear.

Would be nice if they'd get some special shooting attack. Like a magic missile that's not smite.

We have multiple non-smite shooting attacks.

And I don't see us running out of spells if we choose to go wide over redundencies-we have AT LEAST 16 spells to choose from counting smite (smite, 6 from dark hereticus, 6 from daemon tzeentch spells, 1 more whatever the scarab's had, 1 more from CA and 1 more from the CSM tzeentch spell)

Assuming each spell we saw in the list actually has the full table its from as well, because we've seen spells from DH, daemon list and some that are neither.

Taking a wild guess, I'd say the upper limit is 20 spells overall. if its somehow more than that, I'll be shocked.

We are loaded in magic options, so much so that you can practically run "pure" TS list with only sorcerers/rubrics/scarabs and STILL have enough spells to go around for everyone.

We have multiple non-smite shooting attacks.

And I don't see us running out of spells if we choose to go wide over redundencies-we have AT LEAST 16 spells to choose from counting smite (smite, 6 from dark hereticus, 6 from daemon tzeentch spells, 1 more whatever the scarab's had, 1 more from CA and 1 more from the CSM tzeentch spell)

Assuming each spell we saw in the list actually has the full table its from as well, because we've seen spells from DH, daemon list and some that are neither.

Taking a wild guess, I'd say the upper limit is 20 spells overall. if its somehow more than that, I'll be shocked.

We are loaded in magic options, so much so that you can practically run "pure" TS list with only sorcerers/rubrics/scarabs and STILL have enough spells to go around for everyone.

Huh. I for some reason didnt actually count the full number; you are correct. were sitting at 2 lores + possible extra options. so a bare minimum of 13 (2 lores full, IF we assume that Weaver of Fates is a free addition and the spells used today were from the lore lists.  Bare in mind Weaver of fates is the Tzeentch addition to Dark Hereticus so thats a 6 + Weaver of Fates + our lore list which at this point looks like Glamour, temporal, Doombolt, and 3 others as of yet unknown) 

Glamour, Temporal, Doombolt, Tzeentch's Firestorm and I bet Weaver is just a part of that.

Why have Weaver separate from Dark Hereticus? In the CSM book it says models with Mark of Tzeentch can take weaver, well that wording is pointless in codex: TS so I bet its just in the lore. But it doesnt really matter. 

Would like to know what the 6th power is!

The most important info I am waiting for is the auras.. and ahriman's warlord trait. There's a good chance it is Arrogance of Aeons.

Glamour, Temporal, Doombolt, Tzeentch's Firestorm and I bet Weaver is just a part of that.

Why have Weaver separate from Dark Hereticus? In the CSM book it says models with Mark of Tzeentch can take weaver, well that wording is pointless in codex: TS so I bet its just in the lore. But it doesnt really matter. 

The most important info I am waiting for is the auras.. and ahriman's warlord trait. There's a good chance it is Arrogance of Aeons.

Ya thats possible, still 12 powers is a good number regardless. 

What did the shaman even do this game? theres no way in hell we just "dont" have auras anymore so its quite annoying they didnt even mention them. 

This pretty exciting stuff, only real disappointment is that we don't know what Ahriman's warlord trait is. Magnus losing his aura (at least the re-roll saves of one part is made up for with the legion trait and extra power imo).

That legion trait has the potential to be amazing as well, 9" warptime, 18" hex combined with a disc are pretty crazy. It will be difficult for a lot of armies to deny.

I've hoped for warlock like powers for rubric squads and at the very least picking up two new ones cool. Hopefully it is a tree and its flexible. 

Ya thats possible, still 12 powers is a good number regardless. 

What did the shaman even do this game? theres no way in hell we just "dont" have auras anymore so its quite annoying they didnt even mention them. 

If they give us a full tree for Aspiring Sorcerers that is based on the warlock powers I wouldn't complain. As an Eldar player I know how flexible that tree is. More so if we see some sort of perils mitigation ability to make up for it. 

Still gotta wonder what the second part of our trait is.

They mentioned cultists gain a lot from our trait, though they are not psykers, so it has to have something else-and there does not appear to be anything that effects the gors.

I'm curious as well, and I have a hard time believing that it wouldn't affect the Gors (just didn't come up or wasn't touched on) 

Still gotta wonder what the second part of our trait is.

They mentioned cultists gain a lot from our trait, though they are not psykers, so it has to have something else-and there does not appear to be anything that effects the gors.

I dont know what would we could get that cultists wound gain a lot from. I dont even use cultists as it is. I would say +1 invul but custodes have that although it's not like TS couldn't get it.

Archived