How are your Custodes doing?

Played a 9k pts megagame yesterday most custodes, guards and the castellan were killed but we won thanks to time running out.

Come to think of it I've yet to lose a game with custodians either in 40 or 30k

Yeah, it was a bit of a rough game that way, I'm glad I'm not the only person who found the list a bit oppressive!  Shadowsword and Tyranids definitely feels more like a WAAC combo not a fluff one, but it is what it is.  He's trying to play a consistent 2000 point list and this was a subset of that, just without all of the troops and objective holders.  

We both setup the terrain together.  Looking back on it we could've had a higher terrain density, but it's tough to use a lot of buildings or big LOS blockers with a shadowsword, as you have to leave enough room to move around.  I don't think the board as a whole was terrible, but with the deployment type and his position he definitely had an advantage.  I could've taken other routes that provided more cover but it wouldn't have been as direct - perhaps I still should have.  

Made a Hybrid test list to take to a tourney this past weekend, still mostly bikes, but 1 FW unit and a sprinkling of BA:

Outrider

Bike cap

Vexilla

6 bikes

6 bikes

Pallas grav tank

BA BN

Slam Cap

Lib Dread

5 scouts

5 scouts

5 Intercessors

85pts leftover for pokeball assassin.

I ended up taking first place, ended up playing Tyranids, Khorne Daemons + World Eaters, and Tsons + Nurgle Daemons.

Yea I think that's a very potent list. It's one of those lists that needs a lot of practice. It can hit like a truck but it still probably needs some good match ups. The new Assassin rules though are pure gold for the Custodes (pun intended!)

I'm sick of seeing that "Thousand Sons" list making the tournament rounds. I imagine if it's what I think (Ahriman, DP's, Nurgle daemons) then you could have faced a fair amount of smites and tanky daemons.

Congrats Shane.

Really fun game, but, THE ORGANIZATIONAL UNIT IS LIKE AN ORGASM.

AMAZING. Did you build it by yourself?

Haha, thanks Danarc! I came up with the idea and my wife who was interested in doing some wood working turned it into a reality, I really can't take credit for it! 

Haha, thanks Danarc! I came up with the idea and my wife who was interested in doing some wood working turned it into a reality, I really can't take credit for it!

Your wife should sell those things. I think you'd be surprised how many would be interestedin buying 1-2.

Black Orange - The traditional list is Ahriman plus other tson psykers (typically 1-3 daemon princes + sorc + tzaangor shaman,) and they are screened by nurgle daemon plaguebearers. The changing element is what unit is being used for screen clearing, most common is tzaangor bombs, but pink horrors and blightlords are also common. So basicially a bunch of angry psykers hit you with nasty powers while being hidden within a horde of zombies.

• 2 weeks later...

Your wife should sell those things. I think you'd be surprised how many would be interestedin buying 1-2.

I actually shared the same picture here (hope the link is allowed) and was indeed surprised with how many people commented asking if it was available for purchase!  My wife is working on a final prototype with some improvements then we'll setup an etsy shop or something similar.  I don't want to derail this thread further though, perhaps when we have a finished product and if there's a level of interest here I'll post it under N&R as long as that's the appropriate subforum.

Black Orange - The traditional list is Ahriman plus other tson psykers (typically 1-3 daemon princes + sorc + tzaangor shaman,) and they are screened by nurgle daemon plaguebearers. The changing element is what unit is being used for screen clearing, most common is tzaangor bombs, but pink horrors and blightlords are also common. So basicially a bunch of angry psykers hit you with nasty powers while being hidden within a horde of zombies.

I doubt you were giving a prediction on the top adepticon list, but you certainly could have been! Looks like the winning list in the singles tournament was almost exactly that.  Nurgle Battalion with nurglings and plaguebearers, Chaos Undivided Battalion with some bloodletters and pink horrors, Supreme Command Thousand Sons with Ahriman and princes.  And also a C-Beamx2 Contemptor Dreadnought as the odd extra piece.  

I got to play another game this past weekend at 1500 points, same list I ran last time with standard battalion plus Achillus, Galatus, and this time a new Caladius that came in just in-time.  All this against a Tau player with a double battalion, one riptide, broadside, two ghostkeels and two commanders, minimum troops and 10 breachers in a transport.  Game didn't go as expected with him dropping his commanders and infiltrating his ghostkeels trying to kill my Caladius turn one, but it survived the first round and I managed to push him out of my deployment zone and hold a flank with my Galatus on an objective.  There was good back and forth between us Turn 2 and 3 but in the end I had lost only a guardian squad, Achillus and Calladius and he only had about 15 infantry a riptide and broadside left.

Notable moments included my Achillus saving 4 out of 7 damage with his 6+++, my dreadnoughts really, really don't want to die it seems.  It went down that turn in the end, but it could have possibly been prevented if I remembered it had a 2+ save not 3+ like the Caladius.  Once again pushing my bike captain forward in the mid-game to bait firepower served me well, this time not only with Radiant Mantle but also within range of the banner for a total of -2 to hit.  After firing his entire army into this captain start of Turn 3 and only landing two wounds he surrendered.  

I've really been enjoying playing Adeptus Custodes even in my losses.  Having fewer units that are very durable and hard-hitting is really satisfying to play with, and often feels like it clarifies decision making and analysis as you can measure the impact of all your units much more tangibly.  

Edited by burningsky25

Which FW dread is a character ?

Hey Black Orange, sorry for the late reply, I was a little confused by the question.  Looks like you figured it out elsewhere, but there isn't any character dreadnoughts that Custodes can take.

Which FW dread is a character ?

Hey Black Orange, sorry for the late reply, I was a little confused by the question.  Looks like you figured it out elsewhere, but there isn't any character dreadnoughts that Custodes can take.

In 30k the Telemon is a character! Shame the 40k one isn't but then you could give it -2 to hit or a 5++

Played the weirdest 2K game on Thursday. Decided I'd play a Vanguard of the new assassins (2 x Vindicare, 1 x Eversor) with a Primaris Psyker so I could get some Psychic Phase shenanigans in as well as get the CP for the detachment. I also brought Roboute Guilliman as my Warlord. Then a Battalion with Trajaan, Shield Captain with Storm Shield, 3 x Custodian with Shields, 5 x Custodian with Spears and 3 x Custodian with spears. Then a squad of five Allarus.

Opponent was Ad Mech with many Snipers, many Dunecrawlers, Kastellans and the tank track robots. It was two Battalions and an Spearhead basically.

Somehow I made him concede by his turn 2???

I put the Allarus, 5 x spear squad, eversor and trajaan in deep strike. I placed both Vindicares where they could see Cawl. I then put Guilliman down next to a psycher, flanked by the shield captain with shield and the three custodians with shields. My turn 1 I slowly marched them up the battlefield towards a squad of Skitarii Vanguards and a Dunecrawler, nearly killed Cawl in one round of sniping, and cleared away some of his snipers. His Turn 1 he fired EVERYTHING at the Custodians with shields protecting the Psyker and Guilliman. He killed them all and... nothing else. They managed to soak up, i dare say hundreds of shots.

My turn 2 I dropped the Eversor in front of some Electropriests, then Trajaan, Allarus and large spear squad behind his lines. I also managed to get Guilliman into charge range and capped an objective with my remaining captain, and killed his priest with my Psyker.

My entire army succeeded all of their charges :whistling:  Guilliman minced through some Vanguard and a Dunecrawler, the large spear squad axed their way through his battalion, the Allarus and Trajaan split another Dunecrawler in half, and my Eversor killed 8 of his 12 electropriests. Everything I had consolidated into more of his units and brought more crap into melee so he couldn't shoot and had barely any room to retreat. His remaining troops all fled, including the electropriests.

I think I had wiped out about 1K points by the end of my turn 2 and all he had killed all game was 3 Custodian Guard with Storm Shields. All I can say is they were the absolute MVP.

Edited by rcoon

A primaris psyker doesn't have the keywords to go into a vanguard with assassins.

It does share a keyword with sisters of silence though.

Edit: Did he use the Wrath of Mars stratagem on the Kastellans? That should have shredded the guard squad.

Battlescribe didn't throw any errors? I've seen people use him as a HQ before with a nested detachment of Assassins.

Yep, he used both strats on the Kastellans so they got +1 to hit and many shots etc. They killed the squad but he made the mistake of shooting them with other stuff first to no avail. He tried shooting the Vindicares a little bit too but stopped when he released he'd be hitting on 5's.

Edited by rcoon

The only keyword they share is Imperium. So since the mixed detachment changes in what is considered battleforged they have not been able to be in the same detachment, without making your army no longer battleforged.

That's odd, I didn't realise you just can't take Assassins in a proper Vanguard anymore. I've seen a few people running them with a Primaris Psyker...

I'll just run em as basic 0CP Vanguards from now on and add the Primaris Psyker into my Cadian battalion, since I'll never ever play that Guilliman list again because it will never work twice now everyone's seen it :D