How are your Custodes doing?

Anyone know the custodes lists from the GT?

Are these what you’re after?

http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2019/07/08/top-itc-tournament-lists-for-june-2019/

No the Warhammer world GT. There were a few custodes in the top 20 lists.

Oh right, I can't find the results. I'm sure they'll be online or on one of the various 40k podcasts soon. I hope they were cool lists and not just loyal 32 + 3 caladius.

Erik Trock (Scrivens) came 2nd at the CCBB (Capital City Blood Bath) with a similar list to mine, over the weekend. 

His list was: 

Custodes Battalion +5CP

Trajann

Shield Captain on Bike, misericordia, Relic: Auric Aquilas

3 Custodian Guard (Sword and Shield)

4 Custodian Guard (Sword and Shield x 2, Sword only x 2)

Vexilus Praetor, Castellan Axe, misericordia, Vexilla Magnifica (-1 to hit banner) (Warlord)

6 Aquilon Custodians (power fist and infernus firepike)

5 Aquilon Custodians (power fist and infernus firepike)

Total 8CP, 1999pts. 

Aquilons seem so much better than allarus. I guess they don’t get the stratagem support, but their raw weapon stats are so much better, for a similar points cost.

Custodes need a new Codex. The book is about 2 years old and it's starting to show.

List of changes should include: 

• New Relics: currently they're pretty terrible bar a few (the 3++ saves).  
  • New Stratagem: fight twice
  • New Stratagem: +1 to invuln so we can tank a bit easier. 
  • New Stratagem: FNP 5+++. 
  • New Stratagem: Add +2 to charge rolls from deep strike (we have teleport homer, but that is too easy to block) or a way to move after arriving from teleport strike. 
  • Detachment Bonus: Something for infantry mobility like advance and charge (if mono faction). 
  • Detachment Bonus: +1 attack to all the infantry units across the board (if mono faction). 
  • Detachment Bonus: 5+ FNP against mortal wounds (default). 
  • Detachment Bonus: Bonus to CP to power our strats or reduce the CP cost of some strats. 
  • Unit Changes: Trajann should have 8 wounds and/or a FNP.
  • Unit Changes: Shield captains should have 7 wounds and/or a FNP. 
  • Unit Changes: Let shield captains take any combination of axe, spear, sword and shield.  
  • Unit Changes: A serious update on the ranged weapon profiles for the axe and spear. I'd probably change the shooting profile to Assault 3, S5, AP-2, D2. or Assault 4, Damage 1. 
  • Unit Changes: change weapon profiles so they don't do D3 damage. Make Swords D3, Axes 3 flat, Spears 2 flat.  
  • Unit Changes: Land Raider massive pts drop. 
  • Unit Changes: Contemptor masive pts drop. 
  • Unit Changes: Points drops across the board (maybe not if these changes are made). 

The new FW rules are on the right track for some units, (Aquilon, Telemon, Caladius Grav, Pallas), but way off the mark for other units. They should incorporate most of these into the a new Codex. But I don't see this happening because Forge World is so separate. It's actually a terrible inconvenience given so many units are currently FW, especially our long range firepower. 

For such an elite army, they need to have tactical flexibility and huge weight of dice to work effectively. They're still a good middle tier army, but a polish would make a huge difference. 

Edited by masterstrider

A new book? I think that would be premature. First of all, the book has been out since January or February 2018, so roughly 1.5 years. That alone wouldn't warrant a new book with me. 

Even more so, a lot of what you would like to change, could rather be integrated in a Chapter Approved.

For a new book, I would actually want SoS be included again to build the Talons of the Emperor and ideally, even tho I know it won't be happening, have the FW models included to increase the variety of units.

Overall I feel the Custodes are still doing fine, but I'm nowhere near competitive in my playstyle. :)

Thoughts on what you’d put in it? I quite fancy Custodian Guard with one of the beta spears. That or Wardens I can’t afford the CP to drop.

Allarus or Wardens maybe Trajann haven't thought that far ahead tbh

Maybe just some custodes to keep them safe and get them to an objective to sit on for the rest of the game

Erik Trock (Scrivens) came 2nd at the CCBB (Capital City Blood Bath) with a similar list to mine, over the weekend.

His list was:

Custodes Battalion +5CP

Trajann

Vexilus Praetor, Castellan Axe, misericordia, Vexilla Magnifica (-1 to hit banner) (Warlord)

Total 8CP, 1999pts.

Such a cool list. Not a single Caladius and no allies, love it. I’m guessing the Custodian Guard just sit on home obj with -1 hit and 3++ scoring away and the Aquilons DS in and torch stuff? I think I might have underestimated the firepikes, after thinking through how they might be used with strats like tanglefoot grenade though this could be a truly brutal unit to deal with...

Edit. Am I right in thinking he couldn’t DS both units of Aquilon and Trajann because of their points and power levels?

Edited by Dallas Drake

His list was:

Custodes Battalion +5CP

Trajann

Total 8CP, 1999pts.

I really like that list. I would have taken the bolters instead of the firepikes though, i know its scary as hell charging them, but d6 shots is swingy, and 6 terminators with fists isnt exactly an enticing charge target anyway.

Edit. Am I right in thinking he couldn’t DS both units of Aquilon and Trajann because of their points and power levels?

Just barely in. 977 in ds with TJ.

Edited by MeatGrinder

His list was:

Custodes Battalion +5CP

Trajann

Total 8CP, 1999pts.

I really like that list. I would have taken the bolters instead of the firepikes though, i know its scary as hell charging them, but d6 shots is swingy, and 6 terminators with fists isnt exactly an enticing charge target anyway.

I guess it’s just personal taste. The firepikes give you swingy numbers but you can roll well too. Also, in a game where there is lots of -1 or -2 to hit it can help, not to mention how brutal overwatch would be for anything charging them. Overwatch then tanglefoot... Nasty.

I guess it’s just personal taste. The firepikes give you swingy numbers but you can roll well too. Also, in a game where there is lots of -1 or -2 to hit it can help, not to mention how brutal overwatch would be for anything charging them. Overwatch then tanglefoot... Nasty.

You tanglefoot at start of charge phase so they could just decide not take the risk but that achieves the same goal I guess. I'm running a similar list to this but it's not ITC so it's not quite as effective for Eternal war 2018, and 1750 so it's 5 Aquilon and 6 Wardens, I do really like it though, lots of fun to play

His list was:

Custodes Battalion +5CP

Trajann

Total 8CP, 1999pts.

Hang on, I just did the maths and I make 11 Aquilon with firepikes and fists 968 points (88x11). But the power levels of the Aquilons and Trajann mean you can't DS them all, (PL10+21+25) so he must've run Trajann on foot in order to DS both units of Aquilon.

You tanglefoot at start of charge phase so they could just decide not take the risk but that achieves the same goal I guess. I'm running a similar list to this but it's not ITC so it's not quite as effective for Eternal war 2018, and 1750 so it's 5 Aquilon and 6 Wardens, I do really like it though, lots of fun to play

Ah yes of course. I love Wardens too, what else do you take?

Edited by Dallas Drake

His list was:

Custodes Battalion +5CP

Trajann

Total 8CP, 1999pts.

Hang on, I just did the maths and I make 11 Aquilon with firepikes and fists 968 points (88x11). But the power levels of the Aquilons and Trajann mean you can't DS them all, (PL10+21+25) so he must've run Trajann on foot in order to DS both units of Aquilon.

Ah yes of course. I love Wardens too, what else do you take?

The deepstrike is done by points now in a points game, power level isn't a consideration.

Trajann

Allarus captain axe/misericordia

Custodian guard sword & shield x 3

Custodian guard sword & shield x 3

Custodian guard sword & shield x 4

Vexillus Praetor Magnifica guardian spear

Aquilon lastrum/fist x 5

Warden guardian spear x 6

It's 1749pts and I can deepstrike the captain, the aquilon and the wardens.

Attended the local tourney with the list in the above post. Missions are eternal war CA18.

I wanted to run this list in order to take it out of the running for the GT really, ive had lots of fun using it and also had fun yesterday.

First match up is four pillars and search and destroy, and of all things I didn't want to match up against it was the dreaded tau castle, its by a mile the worst match up for my list, this one was over before it started, none of the objectives were behind terrain and I had no way to do any damage to him. I did manage to score 1 point for killing more 1 round but that was all, think it was 11-1 after battle round 6 and I was all but tabled.

Round 2 I had blood angels, beach head on hammer and anvil, lots of terrain too, I took the centre in turn 2 and held it the rest of the game and took warlord and line breaker, he did hole his own objective for 5 rounds but this was a strong win for the Custodes.

Round 3 it's deathwatch primaris with a double storm cannon leviathan and a guard battalion. Dawn of War deployment and cut off the head. He went first and I forgot to hide from his vindicare, my vexilla had a lucky escape on 2 wounds remaining. Some horrible saving rolls, triple 1 in 5 dice saw one guy fall. My first turn and I hide my characters behind a big central terrain peice and make a long bomb with 3 sword and board dudes into the guard squad that had taken the centre, I whiff horribly only dropping three but it works in my favour as I manage to pin a guy in so no falling back for them. He drops a couple more of my guys turn 2 but his leviathan has nothing in range after deepstriking. He does have his smash captain on the centre now ready to score a point next turn unless I can contest or remove him. I move every up to ward the centre where he has a large squad and deliver the pain train, vexilla teleport the terms in and the wardens make a deepstrike slightly off to the left looking to charge another large mixed squad of deathwatch. At the end of the turn both squads of deathwatch are dead, the smash captain has miraculously survived 3 aquilon and the vexilla and has 3 wounds left, and he hammered the vexilla to bits, the leviathan has also been tagged by the wardens after a tremendous 11" charge and brutal execution of the deathwatch, avenge the fallen giving the remaining 4 6 attacks each as one guy was dropped with auspex scan and one was killed with interrupted combat. The other result I had was being able to trap the guardsmen squad again, this time with the terminators, this was huge. Round 3 saw his 10 man hellblaster squad come in from deepstrike and do exactly the required amount of damage to wipe my remaining wardens, he also fell back his smash captain leaving the centre to me. My terms duly wiped the guard and consolidated dangerously close to both his watch master and his captain, and his company commander with Intel was also put in the open. My turn and the terms move forward and gun down his smash captain, charge his watch master and with a massive 11" charge get all the way round the other side and in position to tag his leviathan for the second turn in a row. I tear apart the watch master and tie up the leviathan. My Allarus captain dropped in and shot the company commander down with his axe, nice. So that's the game won, Trajann has been holding the centre and he now can't score any points in the primary, he duly guns down my terms with the hellblasters, but it's too little too late, I had also removed the third intercessor squad by this point and my allarus captain drops a double 6 to contact the remaining hellblasters and leaves just the sargeant alive on 1 wound. It ends turn 5.really good game and my word did the Aquilons do some work in this one.

The day showed me that the list is strong, but has some horrific counters, flyer spam and tau castle being the worst. Guard gun line while not as bad as tau would also be troublesome, Custodes soup would also be very tough. But hey ho, I won't be taking it to the GT but it's so much more fun to play than a castle with screens.

Glad to hear the Wardens and Aquilon did well.

I ran Aquilon with firepikes against Kraken stealer shock tonight, got spanked. Honestly, I found their damage output weak and DS just doesn’t cut it in 8th unless you can pull of the Vexilla homer trick, Rippers just kept them from DSing near anything worthwhile. For me, I just didn’t rate the firepikes at all.

I also ended up going all storm shield and sword with my Guard, I found I really needed 3++ against all the damage that gets thrown their way, it seems crazy to say it but a 4++ just doesn’t cut it when each wound that sneaks past is D2 or Dd3.

Edit: I think I’m going to use 6 Wardens instead of Terminators and aim to have them drop down within 6” of a footslogging Vexilla nestled in a blob of 5-6 storm shields. I struggled against hive guard and exocrine just pumping out shots and next up I’ll face Tau and new Space Marines so I think I need the resilience.

Has anyone used Allarus to success? I went straight for Aquilon but on paper their abilities do look good. Would 3 dropping down in someone’s back field or flank be worth the points? Right now bikes are just doing solid work for me in almost all situations, their shooting is decent and they hit hard too, most importantly they’re so mobile and fast; much needed in essentially a footslogging army.

Edited by Dallas Drake

• 2 weeks later...

Ran this to a one dayer here yesterday. Ended 2-1 and played double riptide tau, horde orks and admech. First time playing since november (Usually play AoS), didnt get a chance to get any practice games in, so I just crammed with as many rulebooks and army books as possible.

BATTALION
Trajann
Sc on DJB, bolter, auric

3x 3 custodes w/ 2 spears, 1 shield

4 vertus w/ bolters

VANGUARD
SC on foot, Eagles eye

Vexillus w/ magnifica
3 allarus w/ axes
3 Aquillon w/ fists and bolters

Operative Sanctioned (Was always vindicare, had a culexus for any psyker heavy armies just incase)

Game 1 - Admech. Supplies from Above

Basically some rangers, plasma kataphrons, robots with phospher. Then he had a knight with 2 armigers and 3 shield captains on bikes.

First turn was rough, having to weather all that plasma. He wiped the bike squad and a unit of guard. Didnt get uch done in my turn.

Turn two he killed off more guard, but my reserves came in. Trajann and the aquillons hit the knight, and the aquillions wiped out his bunker of kataphrons and robots.

Turn 2/3 I started to get the game back until his knight exploded, killing the two remaining aquillon, my shield captain on foot, trajann, the remains of my last guard unit, along with one of his shield captains. The crucial roll was on his captain with 2 wounds, and he rolled a one. That meant I couldnt stop him running away with points for the next few turns.

Game 2 - Tau. Four Pillars

Tau really suffered vs the -1 to hit banner. He put all of his shooting into clearing the guard units, letting my bikes rinse off his fire warriors. I played with a good bit of redundancy in holding the objectives, the guard unit holding one of them had another guard squard out of LOS to run in when they died, and the other one had the banner. I managed to keep pace with him clearing troops off objectives, meanig he couldnt get ahead of me in points, all the while grabbing points for killing more units. When my reserves came in they shot off all of his fire warriros and killed a riptide. After that I was far enough ahead that he couldnt win. This was the only game i took first turn in, because i needed my reserves to come in before he had a second turn of shooting.

Game 3 - Orks. Strategic Gamble.

Hadnt a clue about orks, genuinely thought they had rend on their axes so I played really cagey. Set up in a big bunker and kept nothing in reserve. During objective placement I stuck two of mine closeto each towards the corner, intending to bunker up. This went in my favor when we rolled lengthwise deployment, meaning I had almost immediate control of 3 objectives while he only had one. The mission allows you to blacklist 6 cards, so I dumped all of the ones related to his objective. This put me in a really good spot starting out, I had a big bunker in the centre protected by the banner, and two guard squads on each flank in cover holding objectives. He shot off one of these with his lootas, but couldnt do anything to the bunker. I advanced forward slowly, keeping in range of the bunker and trajann, he brought his reserves in. 15 jump boyz, 20 boyz, a unit of boys moved with Da Jump, and one of the on board unit of 20 boys all charge my bunker. They even got in behind me to hit my characters. I was bricking it. They did a total of 4 wounds. Not a single model died. I wiped most of them, and what survived fled due to battleshock. Turns out throwing hundreds of s4 ap- attacks at t5 custodes is not as effective as I thought it was. The whole while I was stacking up cards like crazy with a bunch of objectives under my control.

All in all, I did a lot better than I expected, with what I consider an unoptimised custodes list, and with minimum experiance and prep. Points for the future are that I dont really need spear guard in a list like this, just taking more shields is the way to go, and swapping one unit to a unit of saggitarum will be amazing. There is already a lot of dakka in there, but those heavy bolters will be a great addition.

Im still not super happy with the state of 40k at the moment, I really hate the tac reserves rule, especially coming from AoS, but I am definately more hyped for it now than I was going in.

Played the new Ultramarines last night with a list with 2 caladius, 8 wardens, DEJB Captain, Trajann and Saggitarum. Wow, those new SM doctrines are nasty, overwatch nearly on a par with Tau makes Aggressors and such really good. Ultramarines are really strong. Personally I found the caladius good still, not amazing but then he had no T8 so I guess that’s where they might struggle now. I also found Sagittarum underwhelming but I guess they did okay considering they’re our cheapest troop choice. Wardens were mvps dropping in and gutting the opponent. He had nothing that could stop them once they got the charge and started killing and consolidating into multiple units. Edited by Dallas Drake