Intercessors - is quantity its own quality?

momerathe

If you want to continue that, please stop including me in your quotes. :sweat:

I'm confused. I thought I was only quoting Knight of Lupus. My apologies. Anyway...

Intercessors are awesome. I am starting to wonder if it is better to have them in 10 man squads or 5 man. The goal is to keep them out of close combat. So would it be better just to have 10 man squads to make them harder to move, benefit from psychic powers more, and not have to pay the extra points for the power sword? Or is it better to have two 5 man squads? What do you guys/gals think?

How about 2 squads of 10, 4 of 5 in support role?

The 10 are at the forefront to soak the charge, and when what is left pulls out of combat, they are in range of the two supporting units.

OK OK, I play Empire and love detachments in Fantasy (when that was still a thing) :biggrin.:

One potential advantage of a ten man unit is striking back when charged. Assuming you're looking to dominate the midfield, you're probably going to get into combat fairly regularly.

I'll be honest, I just want squads of ten to work, regardless of whether they actually do. They just look that much more impressive on the table.

I’m looking to try out similar idea of 5 Hellblasters supporting 10 Intercessors (x2)

I was watching the Glacial Geek's latest batrep with his DA vs Khorne Demons, and while he had his scout screen to stop DS shenanigans, it really missed out on a second screen, or even counterpunch to stop the advance of the Daemons, which forced him to use the stand back and shoot guys into that role and they got shredded as they are simply not equipped to deal with that role. Yes the Khorne uber demon played a part, but dam I would have liked to have seen 10 Death Company with a few hammers and unleash rage use that dude's extra attack against him...............

Infiltrating would be a Stratagem potentially worth using tho alongside with Aggressors.

Ohhhh! I like the sound of this. Could work really nicely for Raven Guard.

Correct me if I am wrong, but having two grenade launchers in one combat squad doesn't actually do anything.  All the grenade launchers do is change the range on your grenades to 30 inches, you can still only have one model "throw" one grenade, right?

Wait... why does the unit have the option to take two of the aux grenade launchers in a 10-man unit? Doesn't make sense that one of them would need to just sit idle until the other died or the unit was combat squadded. 

Meh ... 1 point each, it’s worth having just in case.

Completely agree. If you're going to run intercessors, I firmly believe that the 5-6 points on sword and grenade launchers are always worth it.

Why is it worth having just in case? Remember that YOU chose which models are removed when your unit takes casualties. Your Grenade launcher and Sgt will always be the last models to be removed.

In this edition, I'm having trouble justifying squads larger than minimum size, as small squads basically ignore morale, and since taking a second squad gets you an extra attack (from the sergeant) and more slots for specials (though this is for non-Primaris units) at no additional cost.

In this edition, I'm having trouble justifying squads larger than minimum size, as small squads basically ignore morale, and since taking a second squad gets you an extra attack (from the sergeant) and more slots for specials (though this is for non-Primaris units) at no additional cost.

Indeed. It just doesn't make any sense. I can see if they had the plague marine strat where they could all throw grenades, I'm building a list around this btw, but they don't. Ahh well. Maybe they were just trying to make the rule so people that wanted to combat squad them could do so. Just in case they didn't have an extra Sgt or wanted a more fluffy army. 

Archived