"Roughnecks" 3rd Cavalry Regiment

Lhorke The First

Looks like the have 60% off until midnight?

https://dreamforge-games.com/collections/types?q=infantry

The camo should be easy to achieve. Some well placed masking tape usually does the job. I even use the cheap stuff and have no problems! :wink:

Ah, bummer. I missed it.

Good to know. I'll be sure to pick up some tape from the hardware store.

Such a pity that some of the more interesting things have not been even available for some time (think of the tank hunters... best female troopers out there) even before the discounts started.

Sidenote: the FlugStuG seems to be available soon. Take THAT, GW... that’s how a Repulsor should look like.

Such a pity that some of the more interesting things have not been even available for some time (think of the tank hunters... best female troopers out there) even before the discounts started.

Sidenote: the FlugStuG seems to be available soon. Take THAT, GW... that’s how a Repulsor should look like.

Yeah I wish I had gotten some of those tank hunters. I WILL be buyingt that StuG when it comes out though!

• 2 weeks later...

I got some reinforcements for my birthday!

Death Korps At rest

Death Korps heavy flamer

Leman Russ Reinforcements

Valkyrie

The death korps squad will need to be reposed, as they weren't put together correctly. The painted leman russ just needs to be stripped and then i can get started on painting it. I've heard Valkyries aren't great this edition, but the model looks cool and I'm excited because its my first flyer for any of my armies so far. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Also I base coated the Macharius' turret. The color came out pretty close to what I wanted, so a nuln oil wash should do the trick.

Macharius Turret2

Macharius Turret1

Also,
Day ruined in 3, 2, 1. . .

Day Ruined

• 5 months later...
Wow it has been a while since I've posted here. ETL and Call of Chaos have had me working on my World Eaters, which are finally almost finished. Now I plan to come back to working on my guard army.

That said, I have hit a bit of a snag. I am tired of my army's theme. It just isn't working for me or exciting anymore. I like the guardsmen I have built so far, but I keep changing the paint scheme. I am also fonder of the Death Korps of Krieg and have slowly been accumulating more of them over the past few months. 

Having said this, I can't stomach the thought of throwing the 3rd Cavalry out the window. Instead, I think I am going to put together a motley force of depleted regiments that have been consolidated into one during  a particularly brutal campaign. The 3rd's Colonel will be in overall command, but the new galvanized regiment will consist of several Death Korps units, some steel legion, and possibly some Militarum Tempestus support (I am waiting on some old Kasrkins to arrive at my door). I will unify the disparate regiments with common uniform colors suitable for a winter campaign (white coats, green helmets/armor). The Kasrkins will have their own colors (possibly green fatigues with grey armor).

This idea has brought back much of my excitement for the guard. This allows me to pick up models just because I like the look, rather than rigidly adhering to a certain style of infantry squad. As of now, I believe the bulk of the army will be composed of Krieg's finest, but I may eventually throw in some of the older metal regiments I am fond of.

Now some questions for you veteran guardsmen: Is this idea too. . .all over the place for lack of a better term? Will having an army made up of models from different regiment lines look too disjointed? Would this project make more sense if I ran the different regiment models in separate detachments to show the diversity of this force?

Lastly, I am unsure what color I should paint the armor support. As I am going for a winter theme, should I paint them white? Leave them grey per my original idea? I thought it might look odd if the tanks are the same color as the guardsmen's coats. Below is the current state of my languishing Macharius (turret only), base coated grey.

Macharius Turret1

The idea is fine, nothing to worry about there :tu: As for the vehicle colours a winter scheme would look good, it's up to you how much you want to unify the scheme with the infantry. Tanks and troops are quite different so they're never going to match exactly. Maybe an off white, or a dapple scheme?

I agree that the tanks should be slightly different to the guardsmen, maybe a white/grey/black camo scheme?

In regards to the variety I actually like the idea of a combined regiment from the remnants of a previous brutal war, but I do feel like an army needs some sort of unifying factor - maybe as simple as sharing the same themed bases?

Good luck anyway - once started I find a guard army never stops growing!

Too late to make them Rico's Roughnecks with a Starship Troopers theme?

Starship Troopers would look more space marine than imperial guard.
I second that. Robert A. Heinlein's original novel depicts "mobile infantry" in jump pack-equipped power armor with integral weapons- lasers, flamethrowers, and NUCLEAR ARMED missile launchers. As far as I know, the Skitarii are the only Imperial faction with comparable equipment.

I second that. Robert A. Heinlein's original novel depicts "mobile infantry" in jump pack-equipped power armor with integral weapons- lasers, flamethrowers, and NUCLEAR ARMED missile launchers. As far as I know, the Skitarii are the only Imperial faction with comparable equipment.

Unless he's referring to the movie, which absolutely seems more in line with the Guard and their doctrines. Paul Verhoeven's 1997 film depicts them with automatic rifles, and ineffectual armor. Both of which are what the Imperial Guard is known for.

The idea is fine, nothing to worry about there :thumbsup: As for the vehicle colours a winter scheme would look good, it's up to you how much you want to unify the scheme with the infantry. Tanks and troops are quite different so they're never going to match exactly. Maybe an off white, or a dapple scheme?

I'm excited to try out a winter scheme for the tanks. So far all of the tanks I have done have been for my World Eaters force, so something on the more realistic side will be a nice change of pace. Right now I am leaning toward off white as the base color.

I agree that the tanks should be slightly different to the guardsmen, maybe a white/grey/black camo scheme?

In regards to the variety I actually like the idea of a combined regiment from the remnants of a previous brutal war, but I do feel like an army needs some sort of unifying factor - maybe as simple as sharing the same themed bases?

Good luck anyway - once started I find a guard army never stops growing!

I like the camo suggestion as well. I might try it with mechanicus standard grey. As for the infantry I plan on using the same colors/paint scheme for all of the squads so that they will be visually unified although using different uniforms and equipment. I plan to use the same themed bases throughout. And yes, I do not think this army will ever stop growing, the guard is an addiction unlike any other.

Talk about a missed opportunity. :yes:  I realized the mistake after I settled on the name.

Unless he's referring to the movie, which absolutely seems more in line with the Guard and their doctrines. Paul Verhoeven's 1997 film depicts them with automatic rifles, and ineffectual armor. Both of which are what the Imperial Guard is known for.

I have to admit that I have only seen the movie. Maybe I should read the book sometime, it sounds intriguing.

I recommend the book, but I must warn you it has few action scenes. Most of the chapters are of schoolteachers- later, drill sergeants and instructors at Officer Candidate School- lecturing and then challenging the protagonist on the meaning of duty, loyalty to a cause greater than oneself (unit/army/nation/species), how irresponsible actions lead to moral degeneracy lead to a nation's downfall (one in-book example being parents who fail to discipline their children, making the children think they can get away with anything, making the community suffer from what are de facto terror attacks as "juvenile delinquents" commit crimes against property and the body), and how pacifistic and utopian ideals will not change the fact the human species must retain the capacity for violence (WAR) in order to survive.

One reviewer complained the novel bored him to death.

I recommend the book, but I must warn you it has few action scenes. Most of the chapters are of schoolteachers- later, drill sergeants and instructors at Officer Candidate School- lecturing and then challenging the protagonist on the meaning of duty, loyalty to a cause greater than oneself (unit/army/nation/species), how irresponsible actions lead to moral degeneracy lead to a nation's downfall (one in-book example being parents who fail to discipline their children, making the children think they can get away with anything, making the community suffer from what are de facto terror attacks as "juvenile delinquents" commit crimed against property and the body), and how pacifistic and utopian ideals will not change the fact the human species must the capacity for violence (WAR) in order to survive.

One reviewer complained the novel bored him to death.

Incidentally, Starship Troopers is my favorite novel. I've read it several times, and it had a large part in my joining the Army several years ago. The movie, also, is one of my favorite films, but for vastly different reasons. The wonderfully over-the-top propaganda, and the over acting by nearly everyone in the film, is just fantastic. I never fail to get pumped every time I see the assault on Klendathu.

Fun fact, Bjorn: One of those that gave the novel a poor review was Paul Verhoeven, the director of the film. He admitted to never finishing the book, as it made him bored and depressed.

I guess it is possible to mimic the movie version of the mobile infantry with Guard. Cadians don't look too dissimilar from them in armor. The only models in 40k that look similar to the book's description are dreadnoughts. I guess that you can make a guard regiment with the appropriate color scheme and use a space marine vanguard loaded with dreadnoughts. I don't think that it would play very well, but it would look like the Mobile Infantry.

Obviously the film for guard. Sprinkling some custom transfers would be cool little nod, there is loads of iconography in the film. Valkyries look a bit like the fleet drop ships and cadians would make good Mobile Infantry, some Tyranid bits to decorate bases. I'm sure someone must have done it.

Small update:

I am currently working on a paint scheme for the tanks and should have some photos ready to post in a couple of days.

Also, these guys dropped in today. . .

Untitled

IMG 4067

These have to be some of the coolest infantry models ever made. I can't believe I have never acquired any until now. These guys will make up the Militarum Tempestus support for the 3rd. While the rest of the army will have a winter combat circa WWII theme, I plan to make this squad resemble the Mobile Infantry, albeit with a couple of differences. I will paint the fatigues green (instead of the dark grey from the film) and the armor dark grey. I am also considering adding some red markings on the armor.

Archived