HH 49: Wolfsbane

hopkins

HH Book 8: Malevolence is said to cover Horus’ plans for each major threat to his rebellion.

-SW = Prospero + ...Alaxis?

-UM = Calth

-BA = Signus

-DA = ...Thramas?

With IH, SA, and RG severely hurt at Istvaan, and the IF effectively locked down at Terra (aside from the Retribution fleet) that just leaves the WS who were way out on the fringes just as they had always been. And it seems like Horus genuinely thought he could count on the Khan siding with him.

They were at the top of his list.

That's why he allowed Lorgar and Angron to do their Shadow Crusade, occupying the UMS.

Further, it was on Horus' behalf that the UM's gathered above Calth and waited for the WB reinforcements, seemingly for a campaign against a non-existing Ork empire near Ultramar.

About half way through Wolfsbane now and it's brilliant. As a Space Wolf fan I am absolutely delighted. It's funny, it tries to cover most of the hypocrisy and executioner angles and it just ticks a bit box for me at the moment, made me spend a fortune at the weekend on more stuff for my Wolves for 30k.

Very early on it tells Horus' point of view of his first meeting with Russ. They watch Leman Russ and his entourage through a glass (presumably one way) screen.

The Emperor is beaming with pride at finding son number 2 and Horus is really struggling internally with the thought of sharing.

It's a short section but while he's debating with the Emperor if they should blast Fenris off the face of the universe the Wolves are in the background laughing and joking about. Chasing serfs around, accidentally smashing glass. Horus considers them nothing.

The Emperor keeps saying "don't underestimate them" and it's shown to be true when the Terran commander of the 6th walks in and the joking all ends and immediately the Wolves are looking serious, primed for war.

When Horus goes to speak to Russ, Russ is speaking in broken gothic and they are debating the Emperor and the Imperial Truth.

Stuff is said essentially along the lines of - you can't act like a God and say there is no God but Horus tries to dismiss it.

As they are about to say cheerio, Russ says "Shall we fight?" and Horus says they could spar one day yes. Russ is all "no, fight" as in a proper fight. He asks Horus who would win and Horus says him and Russ says "maybe so."

It sets the book up really well for me.

Russ seems to have an issue with his beliefs in the book, the wyrd comes up a lot. He says when he's with the Emperor he only knows the Imperial Truth but with his legion he believes in all that stuff. He has the golden spear that the Emperor gave him and he sees it as a bad omen. He leaves it behind on Terra at one point and it's delivered back to him. He knows it's tied to his fate but he can't risk throwing it away in to a super nova or anything.

There's just a nice characterisation of the hypocrisy. Dorn flat out calls him a hypocrite on Terra and they try and fix the issue for us the readers. It's still messy but it's going down the "our guys know limits, they do not know limits".

I really enjoy reading about Russ because he's always portrayed as very human. He's confident at times but not at others.

Anyway that's a wee taster, there's plenty more where that came from

Very early on it tells Horus' point of view of his first meeting with Russ. They watch Leman Russ and his entourage through a glass (presumably one way) screen.

The Emperor is beaming with pride at finding son number 2 and Horus is really struggling internally with the thought of sharing.

It's a short section but while he's debating with the Emperor if they should blast Fenris off the face of the universe the Wolves are in the background laughing and joking about. Chasing serfs around, accidentally smashing glass. Horus considers them nothing.

The Emperor keeps saying "don't underestimate them" and it's shown to be true when the Terran commander of the 6th walks in and the joking all ends and immediately the Wolves are looking serious, primed for war.

When Horus goes to speak to Russ, Russ is speaking in broken gothic and they are debating the Emperor and the Imperial Truth.

Stuff is said essentially along the lines of - you can't act like a God and say there is no God but Horus tries to dismiss it.

As they are about to say cheerio, Russ says "Shall we fight?" and Horus says they could spar one day yes. Russ is all "no, fight" as in a proper fight. He asks Horus who would win and Horus says him and Russ says "maybe so."

It sets the book up really well for me.

Russ seems to have an issue with his beliefs in the book, the wyrd comes up a lot. He says when he's with the Emperor he only knows the Imperial Truth but with his legion he believes in all that stuff. He has the golden spear that the Emperor gave him and he sees it as a bad omen. He leaves it behind on Terra at one point and it's delivered back to him. He knows it's tied to his fate but he can't risk throwing it away in to a super nova or anything.

There's just a nice characterisation of the hypocrisy. Dorn flat out calls him a hypocrite on Terra and they try and fix the issue for us the readers. It's still messy but it's going down the "our guys know limits, they do not know limits".

I really enjoy reading about Russ because he's always portrayed as very human. He's confident at times but not at others.

Anyway that's a wee taster, there's plenty more where that came from

whens this book come out? I need to grab this

About half way through Wolfsbane now and it's brilliant. As a Space Wolf fan I am absolutely delighted. It's funny, it tries to cover most of the hypocrisy and executioner angles and it just ticks a bit box for me at the moment, made me spend a fortune at the weekend on more stuff for my Wolves for 30k.

Spoil this stuff please. 

Could be April, could be May - I think it's even a little too early to tell which month it will fall...

Actually, just had a look on the Black Library 'Coming Soon' page, and it's not listed as April. Other items available at the Weekender are, such as the Agent of the Throne audio drama and the Champions of Chaos omnibus for Fantasy (weird, I know), so looks like May.

I strongly believe that this will have both, action and Primarch impressions, etc.

For what the spoilers already told us, this sounds well balanced and intriguing.

I mean, showing Horus and Russ first meeting, etc. is quite a thing for me, imho. :)

Archived