Xenith

Well I loved it, I was reluctant to join the Feast but I'm glad I did.

Well fought Jole, if I had any skill in writing i would attempt to breath some life into this fight. As it is, I'm having a hard time imagining how I could have escaped with my life against a Melta blast

Well fought Jole, if I had any skill in writing i would attempt to breath some life into this fight. As it is, I'm having a hard time imagining how I could have escaped with my life against a Melta blast

These are non-lethal (in theory) honour duels, and with a marines capacity for healing and the best Sanguinary priests of Baal on standby, one can be perfectly healed even after massive trauma.

To Quote Charlo from the previous FoB when Leonidas asked if these were to the death. (Still one of my favorite quotes on the internet)

"We aren't the bloody World Eaters!" -Charlo

Is it just me or is it missing the narrative fight? :huh.:

Here you go mate.

It was a battle of weighted behemoths. Raziel in ancient holy cataphractii terminator armor, stared the young new space marine down. beneath his ancient death mask he sucked in air through his teeth. He would test Cawl's creation from affar, he lurched forward in his hulking suit of ancient technology, His movements stopped short by a barrage of unending carnage. 

Radek had taken but a moments repose to see the captain walking toward him, he would waste no time in both gauntlets raised in the split-second hesitation Raziel had taken, he was moving closer and faster than the sergeant had originally anticipated. 

Beneath his Mark X gravis pattern mask hid a devious smirk. Radek felt his body vibrating to the unrelenting firepower he spat from his armour, a battery built for war. It was a scene of fury every brother hear had witnessed a thousand times or more, but the sheer number of bolter rounds raised even the hair on their necks. What a glorious display of fury.

Raziel raised his combi-bolter attempting to fire both weapons. The Melta just out of leathal threat range, but the holy bolter spewed its shells of righteous anger back, the barrage had left a mark, even this ancient armor felt its servos and force shield ripple with the unending shells that sparked from his body. But he pressed on.

The sound of metal dinging metal followed by sparks shattering bolter shells on resistance flickered like void shields holding to a broadside fusillade.

Radek never let his guns cool, but the Captain edged ever closer, his left shoulder giving ever so gently in retreat as the fragstorm grenades found their mark. He was in range now. Raziel unfazed by the flying shells knew his melta was in range, he clicked through his vox to Radek, "Well done Sergeant, but the day is mine."

Radek's weapons churned to a halt as the muzzles of his guns grew orange in hue steaming to the air of Baal. Before Raziel's melta obliterated the sergeant he yielded to the captain's tenacity. voxing back, "So it is..."

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

2019 has been hitting me pretty hard so far, and I haven't progressed with this. Hopefully things will return to normal from now and I can continue!

Cheers,

Xen

All good mate. I can try to help out with the narrative side of things if you'd like. My writing isn't the best, but I try! Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

+++Thought for the day+++

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt

+++END+++

+++ROUND 1, FIGHT 5+++

The duel is between:

sml_gallery_84626_14470_47340.jpg

Zedrenael, Captain of the Blood Angels 8th Company Lord of Skyfall.

Wargear: Thunder hammer, storm shield, jump pack, 3 rerolls

tn_gallery_92746_14190_431370.jpg

Calen, Captain of the Carmine Blades 3rd Company.

Wargear: Thunder Hammer,storm Shield, Jump Pack, Bolt Pistol, 2 Re-rolls

A hush fell across the arena as the next two titans entered the duelling area. Awe turned to confusion as the gigantic warriors stood opposite one another appeared to be identical, or near identical twins, not simply just similar marks of power armour and choice of weapons, the warriors faces were near identical, even the scarring patterns were similar…or was it a trick of the light? Both visages reflected the noble patrician aspect of their father Sanguinius, and both were truly blessed.

Zendrenael of the Blood Angels clicked his helmet into place, the neck seals hissing as it pressurised, and Thunderhammers were raised in formal salute…

Zendrenael took a defensive stance, raising his Storm Shield Promise in front to protect his torso as his foe raised his pistol. Calen, known to his brethren as The Blood Hammer, holstered his bolt pistol and launched into the air on screaming pillars of fire, even as the last round spanked off his opponents storm shield. Zendrenaels arm was weakening under the hammering of the bolt shells, yet he would not succumb and lower his shield. He would not.

His eyes tracked his opponent, Calen of the Carmine Blades trajectory through the air, saw the graceful arc that the mighty thunder hammer described. The Blood Hammer literally had the drop on him. This would hurt. Fangs slid from gums and scourged his lips as he gritted his teeth awaiting the impact.

Calen hit like a lightning bolt, the thunder hammer impacting the storm shield of his opponent and both energised weapons shed their built charge in a peal of thunder and flash of blinding light, all autosenses in the room darkened for a split second before returning to normal where they saw Calens ferocious assault driving back the Blood Angel. Crash, crash, crunch, Zendrenael felt bone in his shield arm splinter. Crash, an impact shattered his ankle, he was being pushed to the wall, nowhere to go. Calens hammer wound back for the final strike…

Zendrenael’s grimace turned into a bloody grin. He was exactly where he wanted to be. Activating his jump pack, the thrust force amplified by the proximity to the wall, he rocketed forwards, Calen’s eyes widening as the shield crashed into his face, cracking teeth and splintering bone. Knocked backward, Calens powerful wind up to attack was now the cause of his imbalance, and he rocked on his heels before a pulse of thought activated his jump pack righting him as Zendrenael began to fly over his shoulder…Not today, Blood Angel, he though, reaching for his pistol.

Rising above Calen, Zendrenael was grinning manically, he had to get this just right, click, scratch, the grating of metal on metal. His leg armour had clipped the haft of Calens thunderhammer, threatening to bring him crashing to earth. Perfect. The captain of the 8th company activated the magnetic surface of his armour, and Calen’s weapon was yanked toward him by invisible force, as Calens torso was dragged around to face the retreating Zendrenael, it was met by the descending thunder hammer, Desert’s Tear. The weapon crashed into Calen’s plastron, knocking him from his feet. Landing with a lightness unseeming of such a heavily armed warrior, Zendrenael, Lord of Skyfall calmly placed his shield on the ground, before hefting Calens hammer, stll maglocked to his thigh.

Looking up, Calen laughed lightly, truly ecstatic of this opportunity to have clashed steel with a brother, even though he had been outmatched.

I yield.

Roll by roll:

Fight 5 Zendrenael v Calen

Roll for initiative.

Zendrenael 5, 6 with jump pack, Calen, 5, 6 with pack, Reroll. Zendrenael 2, Calen 5.

Calen jumps forwards to 6” distance. Fires off a bolt shot: hits on a 2. Wounds on a 1 rerolled to 4. Zendrenael rolls to save and gets a 2, rerolled to a 2. First blood.

Calen declares a charge and rolls 6 to charge and gets in.

Calen strikes first, rolling 1,2,3,3, rerolling to 3,3,4,5 with rites and a reroll. 3 wounds on 1,3,5,6. Saved on 4,4,6!

Zendrenael attacks back, 4,4,4,6, wounds on 2,2,5,6, Calen rolls 2,3,3,6 to save and takes 3 damage.

Zendrenaels turn. 4 attacks 1,1,3,6 rerolled to 3,3,3,6, wounds on 3,5,5,6, Calen rolls 1,1,4,6 for 6 damage and is out.

Standings:

gallery_58096_15019_11949.jpg

Phew, I'm finally back into it.

In the meantime, Don't be Haten has offered to help with the narrative, and I've taken him up on it, so stay tuned for the next thrilling episode!

Edited by Xenith

Great fight! Kinda surprising the charging Thunderhammer Captain didn't get the kill but a 3++ can ruin a lot of good rolling. ^^

Can't wait to see Raphanael in the ring next! :thumbsup:

(I might write something in-character tomorrow when I'm at work, but for now it's time to go to bed)

Edited by sfPanzer

@Dont-Be-Haten: great matchup. it could have oh so easily gone the other way. Well met, brother!

It was a good fight for sure!

Also guys, I've written some stuff and sent it in to Xenith. So the next fight should be posted soon. I hope you all enjoy.

Big thanks to Don't-Be-Haten for the write up on this fight, he did a great job, and sharing the work really reduces the feeling of being overwhelmed by it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+++Thought for the day+++

Abhor the Xenos

+++END+++

+++ROUND 1, FIGHT 6+++

Combatants

The duel is between:

HynVCzml.jpg?1

Raphanael – primaris captain in gravis armour, boltstorm gauntlet, MC power sword, 2 rerolls

gallery_40907_9492_300568.jpg

Vincenzo Captain, power sword, plasma pistol, 5 rerolls.

FIGHT

The Arena still smelled of bolter rounds and thruster exhaust. It was exhilarating to the trans-human senses, Vincenzo's platinum crown tickled his cheek as the second captain's eyes locked onto the Primaris captain's hulking mass. The mechanical creature stood a full head taller than him, Vincenzo knew very little of his cousin and the Knights of Baal, though it was to be expected in these times. The Lord Regent had brought many things when he came to their aide; new Astartes with old colors were a tradition and Vincenzo had fought alongside the old bearers of that uniform on Baal. The horror's they faced, the courage and stubbornness of those bastards left a deep impression on him.

"I fought alongside the original owners of those colours Knight of Baal. To take up that mantle is a cursed one." -Said the captain, he raised his golden helmet and locked it into place, where once a harsh voice of a warrior prince resounded was now the familiar sound of vox transmission. "First to yield?"

Raphanael's hulking mass lowered his sword to meet that of the captain of the Blood Angels. His gothic accent stronger than expected. "We fight until one concedes."

Vicenzo's fanged smile could be heard even while hidden by his golden helm. "A man of few words I see."

A moment of quiet fell upon the arena. The calm serene image of two warriors eyeing one another, sizing each other up before the coming carnage. It would be the primaris captain to make the first move, patience was never Raphanael's strongest or best quality. He roared forward, raising his Boltstorm Gauntlet and letting loose a spray of antagonizing bolter fire. Each shot was just out of lethal range, but the cloud of dust and rockcrete spray egged the blood angels' captain forward. It worked, he baited the captain just as he wanted, Vincenzo's rage set upon with the beautiful glow of blue-purple plasma. The after spray of heat exhausted from the blue coils as the glob of hellfire hit Raphanael true, has it not been for the blessed iron halo, It would have been Raphanael's arm and not the unfortunate servitor that was liquified to carbonized bone.

Disgruntled by the miss, The captain of the Blood Angels roared, "Then steel to steel it is!" He barrelled forward, his heavy boots mashing the dirt with each fleeted footstep that carried him into the jaws of the hulking gravis captain. Raphanael's boltstorm gauntlet raised again, only this time it was not out of mere toying, this time it was meant to slow his assailant's onslaught. The storm of bolts hit a knee joint and clipped the captain's hip. Non-lethal pain surged through the captain's flesh, immediately dampened by combat stimms coursing through Vincenzo’s bloodstream. The momentum carried him into the mountain of a warrior. Raphanael felt his body give as Vincenzo's shoulder buried into his center. But the extra armour plating and servos in his joints meant he stood firm.

Vincenzo's fist crashed into Raphanael’s jaw, the uppercut denting the captain's helmet, the counter punch from the bolstorm gauntlet was just off, Vincenzo using the extra momentum to strike at the larger Astartes's shoulder in a cross drive, the Gravis armor took more strength to punch through but the hallowed blade of Vincenzo found its mark.

Raphanael grunted at the sudden burst of pain caused by the blade's bite. He could feel a rush of blood in his mouth as he bit down through the pain. He raised his own master crafted blade up to strike… Vincenzo's sword was still embedded within the thicker plating of the Gravis armor. He would have to release the blade to block the force from Raphanael’s sword, however it was stuck firm, wedged between two of the overlapping plates in the Gravis suit. Raphanael’s sword fell. Vincenzo’s armor held true on the first strike, but the second finds its mark, rending his pauldron, biting into the Blood Angel’s flesh. Vincenzo falls to a knee, stunned as his blood already begins to clot in the wound reopened by the Blade, Raphnael takes his gauntleted hand and with a pained roar pulls Vincenzo's blade from his clavicle and tosses it aside. The Blood Angels' captain brings himself into a guard stance but his sword is now on the ground out of reach, with the next barrage of blades is about to hammer down.

-Damn...- Vincenzo thinks to himself, as a sly grin of disbelief spreads across his hidden jaw. "I Yield..."

The blade stops just shy of connecting his cousin. The blade is spun in Raphanael's hand and he plants the sword into the ground, offering his gauntleted hand to his brother. "It was good fight..."

Roll by roll:

Fight 6 Raphanael v Vincenzo
Raphanael – primaris captain in gravis armour, boltstorm gauntlet, MC power sword, 2 rerolls
Vincenzo Captain, power sword, plasma pistol, 5 rerolls.
Roll for initiative. Raph gets a 3, Vin gets 1. Raph goes first.
Raph moves 5” to close the gap to 13”. Boltstorm is out of range, cannot charge.
Vincenzo’s turn. Vin moves 6” forwards to 7” away. Supercharges plasma pistol and hits on a 4. Wounds on 4. Saved on a 6. Vin declares a charge. Raph overwatches on a 1,4,5, rerolled to 1,4,5 with rites. Wounds on a 2,5, rerolled to 5,6. Saves are 1,2, rerolled to 1,2! 2 wounds down on Vincenzo. Vincenzo rolls 1,4 for charge rerolled to 4,4.
Vincenzo attacks first, 2,5,6,6, wounds on 1,3,6,6, rerolled to 2,4,6,6. Rolled halo saves are 1,2,4, rerolled to 1,2,4 and Raph takes 2 wounds.
Raph strikes back, 5 attacks, 2 with sword, 3 with gauntlet. Sword hits on 1,5, rerolled to 5,6. Wounds on 2,3. Save failed on 1 rerolled to 1 for 2 damage. 2 hits from the fist on 2,5,6, 2 wounds on 2,5. Saves on 1,4, rerolled to 4,4.
Raphs turn. 3 sword attacks hit on 2,3,4, wound on 4,5,5, 2 saved on 3,5,5, however Vincenzo is out of rerolls, takes 2 damage and goes down. Fist hits on 4, wounds on 1.
Raphanael wins!

Standings:

gallery_58096_12316_1347.jpg
Edited by Xenith

Great write up! Probably one of my favourites so far (and not just because my guy was part of it).

So glad Raphanael managed to get through the first round, the D2 of the MC sword really helped out here so it wasn't all about the fist. So next up he'll have to face the dreaded TH/SS combo. We'll see how that will go for him. :sweat:

Although I cannot imagine a way of hitting Raphanael's jaw inside that hood and forget of his.. :wink:

Shhhhhhhhh!

We can say it was an uppercut-haymaker hybrid that connected to his cheek and it seems more believable. :wink:

A Blood Angel is a master of melee. This is easily done!

With one hand Vincenzo grabs the collar of the Gravis armour and lifts himself up in the air, and on the descent he strikes the the jaw area of the helmet from above the collar and downwards... :wink:  :teehee::biggrin.:

Edited by Spyros