New Knight Castellan Revealed!

Vash113

3" heroic intervention shuts down objectives pretty hard with the size of a knights base. So you want to contest this objective. I'll just heroic intervention into any unit you leave within 3" of me during your charge phase. Pretty strong, potentially better than objective secure.

Especially as apparently a unit that HI's, can't be attacked in that fight phase, because it wasn't actually charged... or so I hear.

Yup this is true, but only if they heroic intervention into a unit that has charged that turn. Only units that charge that turn have the restriction of only being able to attack units they declare a charge against.

The thing with heroic intervention is you get to do it if any of your units are (that can heroic intervention) within 3" of an enemy unit at the end of the charge phase. Regardless of whether you opponent even charges anything that turn. Its a very powerful way of getting more out of knights and controlling space. As on your turn you can shoot and charge some units, then consolidate towards some other units, as long as you are within 3", your opponent will have to move those units away or you will heroic intervention into them in his charge phase.

3" heroic intervention shuts down objectives pretty hard with the size of a knights base. So you want to contest this objective. I'll just heroic intervention into any unit you leave within 3" of me during your charge phase. Pretty strong, potentially better than objective secure.

Especially as apparently a unit that HI's, can't be attacked in that fight phase, because it wasn't actually charged... or so I hear.

True, but only if the unit you HI into declared a charge. If it just walked up to within 3 and you jump on it, it gets to fight back as normal.

Edit: Mushkilla Heroically Intervened ahead of my answer.

True, but only if the unit you HI into declared a charge. If it just walked up to within 3 and you jump on it, it gets to fight back as normal.

Edit: Mushkilla Heroically Intervened ahead of my answer.

Hehe, no, good catch both of you.

This is why I'm thinking it'd pay to screen with something nimble like an Armiger. A Lancer with it's special advance rule can no doubt keep up just fine. Bait out the charge into the Armiger, and HI into combat even though you advanced. We wanted charge after advancing :tongue.: - it's one way of getting it.

Hell, a Cerastus Knight alone has an average move of 21" on the advance. That's basically a 24" CC threat range with an HI right? O.o

'Hello, I'm just going to move my Atrapos forward two feet straight into your giant tank... We good? Good.'

The Plasma Decimator looks a bit weak to be honest. A Leman Russ Executioner gets pretty much exactly the same firepower.

Do you think there will be a special rule for the plasma cores, something like the Riptides Nova Reactor?

The Plasma Decimator looks a bit weak to be honest. A Leman Russ Executioner gets pretty much exactly the same firepower.

Do you think there will be a special rule for the plasma cores, something like the Riptides Nova Reactor?

I was just about to say the same thing. Look, random amount of shots is fine, but it really irks me that both guns have that. Obviously you'll want to reroll the volcano lance if if only gets a few shots so you might get stuck with just a few plasma cannon shots. Also, something that annoys me about 40k in general is that all plasma (with a few exceptions) is the same. I really had my hopes up that this plasma gun would have similar stats to the plasma storm battery on the dark angels land speeder vendeance but with some extra shots. (That gun has an extra minimum 1 to the damage so 2 or 3 depending on overcharge)

The Valiant is looking good though, but I like the castellan a bit more I think just because it looks so darn cool. And 10" move is pretty sluggish for a "close combat" platform, even if that flamer is 18" range 

Also, I don't like that they haven't hinted at other weapons that can be mounted instead of the two twin meltas. That's 68 points I'd rather not spend. Where are the cheapskate options? :P

I was just about to say the same thing. Look, random amount of shots is fine, but it really irks me that both guns have that. Obviously you'll want to reroll the volcano lance if if only gets a few shots so you might get stuck with just a few plasma cannon shots. Also, something that annoys me about 40k in general is that all plasma (with a few exceptions) is the same. I really had my hopes up that this plasma gun would have similar stats to the plasma storm battery on the dark angels land speeder vendeance but with some extra shots. (That gun has an extra minimum 1 to the damage so 2 or 3 depending on overcharge)

The Valiant is looking good though, but I like the castellan a bit more I think just because it looks so darn cool. And 10" move is pretty sluggish for a "close combat" platform, even if that flamer is 18" range 

Remember, the random shots thing is mitigated by that 'new' terrain piece. Some rule makes your shots = maximum value, which could change things dramatically on certain weapons. Though we need to see how it works in practice obviously O.o (it could be utterly useless).

I kind of like that the 'main' guns aren't really that impressive, (the plasma is basically two Kataphron Destroyers and the flamer is 2/3rds of a stationary Tyrannofex) but the power looks like it comes from all the secondary guns and unique stratagems. Justifies the 'covered in guns' look if they're not just for show. I mean, no one is even mentioning the casual 4 melta shots!

I don't think I'll be getting one right away but the Valiant with the '2+ to one-shot a predator' harpoon looks mighty tempting.

So you could have 6 missiles or 3 cannon mounts.. hmmm

I'm all for the harpoon and conflagration cannon though

I believe rumors have stated you can only have up to 4 missilies. While i cant vouch for the validity. I can sort of see this being the case with perhaps you having only the option to make 2 turrets or sets of missiles, and the rules match this.

So you could have 6 missiles or 3 cannon mounts.. hmmm

I'm all for the harpoon and conflagration cannon though

I believe rumors have stated you can only have up to 4 missilies. While i cant vouch for the validity. I can sort of see this being the case with perhaps you having only the option to make 2 turrets or sets of missiles, and the rules match this.

Also, why would you want more than 4 missiles? You're gambling hard on that the game reaches turn 5 or 6 at that point instead of getting som extra "autocannon" shots every turn. Unless there's a stratagem that lets you fire multiple missiles per turn I guess..

Also, it's been confirmed on Facebook that they are indeed:

TWO SEPERATE KITS

I think the Harpoon and Flamer is a better loadout, personally.

Oh no! Did they say it was going to be a nightmare to magnetise/ would they release ads on kits etc?

TWO SEPERATE KITS

I think the opposite. Because range mainly. But I see the appeal of both. 

I gotta agree. The Harpoon is great stats wise, but it and that flamer on a Knight that slow, with that little range?... Nah. Not seeing it.

TWO SEPERATE KITS

I think the opposite. Because range mainly. But I see the appeal of both. 

I gotta agree. The Harpoon is great stats wise, but it and that flamer on a Knight that slow, with that little range?... Nah. Not seeing it.

I'm going to take that knight and absolutely ram it down my opponent's army's throat until they choke. It'll be glorious. Just glorious. I can tell you from experience, 18" is a fine range for a unit that I'm not afraid to move forwards each turn. It always gives it ridiculous protection from melee because overwatch is a thing. I'm in love.

Archived