How to start a new Deathwatch Army?

techsoldaten

Hi there, I recently decided to start a Deathwatch army.

The Index entries are a little puzzling compared to a more traditional force, wondering if any experienced players can help me get started? I realize a Codex is coming out sometime soon, and I do know the Index rules are a big departure from 7th edition.

My focus is mostly on Kill Teams right now. Here's a brief run down of my questions, would love to hear thoughts on these or other topics I may not be asking about.

1) It feels like the way you build a Kill Team is to take one or two models with a Storm Shield to tank wounds, then fill them out with whatever else. Is that how other people play them?

2) It looks like Kill Team ranged weapons are all short range. Am I missing something?

3) With regards to Blackshields - what is their purpose in 8th edition? Do they force you to make a Heroic Intervention? Can someone point me at the rules for that?

4) Are Forgeworld units allowed? Can I run my Fire Raptor or a Contemptor with them?

5) What is the issue with frag cannons? Are they just overcosted, or is there some other drawback?

6) How about Thunder hammers? Are they overcosted, or is there some other drawback?

7) I noticed some negative comments about Power Mauls. What is the ideal power weapon for a Kill Team and why?

8) With regards to modelling, I have several of the Kill Team sprues, but I don't really care for the design. Is it acceptable to use other marks of armor?

9) With regards to modelling, how important are the right arms / backpacks? Does every DW Veteran use them, or would it still be fluffy to stick with traditional arms / rebreathers?

10) Finally, mixing units. If I take a bike as part of a Kill Team, does that mean the bike's movement is reduced to 6? How about with Terminators, are there any special restrictions that go along with that?

I would like to start off saying if you're starting DW now I'd wait a couple months as their new codex will be out soon. However I will attempt to address all of your queries.

1. I equip my kill teams differently but I know for most a general kill team will be 2 Boltgun and Storm Shield Vets, 2 Frag Cannons, and sgt with boltgun and xenophase.

2. Kill Teams can have up to 4 Missile Launchers or (Infernus) Heavy Bolters (48" and 36" respectively). Also any model may take a Stalker Pattern Boltgun (36" with Kraken Rounds).

3. Yes they force heroic intervention. that can be found on PG 8 of the Battle Primer.

4. Yes and Yes. See FWs FAQs.

5. They are awesome but yes very pricey. Especially when we already pay a 3pt tax for SIA and then the model with Frag Cannon can't use SIA.

6. If you're referring to Heavy Thunder Hammers unique to DW than they are very expensive and will do less damage than a normal Thunder Hammers a third of the time. That on top of not allowing a ranged weapon as well.

7. Power Mauls aren't necessarily bad. It's just with the way wounding works in 8th the difference between S5 and S6 just isn't very noticeable most of the time and it's just better at that point to have the better AP of a Power Axe. Only downside to Axes is they're not as readily available as the Mauls come in our box.

8. Absolutely. The Kill Team Cassius box has no MK8 armour at all. It consists of a mix of Mk4, Mk6, Mk7, and Devastator Mk7.

9. This is largely up to you. Again Kill Team Cassius features neither of those. O have made it a point in my DW army that all Power Armoured models will have the right arm tactical display.

10. Each model can still move it a maximum distance so long as each model remains in unit coherency.

Hope that helps.

I'll answer as best I can for you.

1) It depends on what you want the kill team to do. That said, yes a lot of people build them that way.

2) The longest ranged weapon a kill team can take is a missile launcher at 48". But there isn't one on the sprues.

3) Yes, Blackshields force Heroic Interventions. I have one in a melee focused kill team, but I won't run one anywhere else. Stick one in a kill team that wants to be in melee and you're good.

4) As far as I am aware, yes, you can use Forgeworld units. Convenient for me playing Raven Guard, as my Fire Raptor is already black.

5) Frag cannons are somewhat overcosted, but still very good. Assault 2d6 or Assault 2 with 2 different profiles. Expect them to change slightly in the Codex.

6) Regular thunder hammers are okay. The heavy version is overcosted by about 10 points.

7) I like power mauls, and I haven't seen much negativity about them. What's not to like about hitting at S6 for 4 points?

8) You can use whatever armor you like. In the lore it is the Marine's own armor that is just repainted.

9) The silver left arm and Deathwatch pad are mandatory for it to be a Deathwatch model. Other than that, go nuts as long as the armor is black. Remember that Deathwatch members are already distinguished Veterans of their Chapter and don't have to look like the average mook.

10) Movement is not changed in mixed units. You aren't required to use their full movement each turn, after all. 14" movement can come in handy if you decide you want the biker on the other side of the kill team for whatever reason.

Hope that helps.

1) It feels like the way you build a Kill Team is to take one or two models with a Storm Shield to tank wounds, then fill them out with whatever else. Is that how other people play them?

-As stated above it depends on what you want to do. But yes storm shield vets are more cost effective tanks vs a termie.

2) It looks like Kill Team ranged weapons are all short range. Am I missing something?

-Nope, thats what we got lol. The Longest range we have is a vet holding a missile launcher. On the bright side you can bring x4 heavy weapons so your basically getting a devastator load out in a troop choice.

3) With regards to Blackshields - what is their purpose in 8th edition? Do they force you to make a Heroic Intervention? Can someone point me at the rules for that?

-Not much of a purpose besides an free extra attack. Look for them to get something special in the upcoming dex like we saw in 7th ed.

4) Are Forgeworld units allowed? Can I run my Fire Raptor or a Contemptor with them?

-They sure are, GW FAQd it!

5) What is the issue with frag cannons? Are they just overcosted, or is there some other drawback?

-They're still good I like to sprinkle 1-2 per vet squad if I do take them. The days of loading up on x4 in a drop pod are pretty much over.

6) How about Thunder hammers? Are they overcosted, or is there some other drawback?

-Regular Thunder hammers are legit. The solid 3 damage per is more consistent than a D6 of a power fist. Heavy Thunder Hammers are way over costed. The -1 to hit is pretty brutal though, any re-roll help is appreciated. 

7) I noticed some negative comments about Power Mauls. What is the ideal power weapon for a Kill Team and why?

-Ideally I like to decide what type of target my kill team will focus on. Infantry, Vehicles, monsters, etc. Then load out your squad to meet that focus. Power Swords for MEQ Infantry, Chainswords for hordes, Thunder hammers for vehicles/monsters, etc. That the beauty of Deathwatch is your customization of builds to take out the right target.

8) With regards to modelling, I have several of the Kill Team sprues, but I don't really care for the design. Is it acceptable to use other marks of armor?

-Of course! Thats the great part of building a DW army if you ask me. I can buy a Space Wolf Dread, Dark Angels Librarian, Blood Angel Captain, etc. Literally every Space Marine model line is yours to mix and match. Just gotta keep em all black with the silver arm and your good. 

9) With regards to modelling, how important are the right arms / backpacks? Does every DW Veteran use them, or would it still be fluffy to stick with traditional arms / rebreathers?

-You can mix and match anyway you see fit. Fluff wise a lot of deathwatch get new gear when they join the watch, but a lot prefer the armor/weapons/equipment that they came in with. After all if you've been killing aliens with a certain blade/helmet would you wanna jinx it by changing it up all of a sudden? 

10) Finally, mixing units. If I take a bike as part of a Kill Team, does that mean the bike's movement is reduced to 6? How about with Terminators, are there any special restrictions that go along with that?

-You just gotta stay in coherency, so in a round about way yes your bike is limited. 

Good answers here, but I just want to heavily emphasize that you really want to wait for a codex release.  As an AdMech and DE player, I can say that the codex releases for those armies completely changed the army builds I was planning pre-codex.  At this point, anything you set up might turn out to be sub-optimal or even illegal under the new codex, especially with how new and unique DW forces are.

Safe bets, however:

-Veterans w/ Boltguns (nothing else)

-Corvus Blackstars (though I'd magnetize the weapon options)

-HQs in general

-Dedicated Transports

-Inquisitorial allies :)

Thank you for the feedback. No doubt I will start working on some models now, but hold off until the Codex before building out the complete force.

My immediate impression is that survivability is the big issue for Deathwatch Kill Teams. Let's say you take a Storm Shield on a Veteran and a Terminator, you are going to have a 3+ invulnerable that gets replaced with a 2+ / 5+ when he goes down. It's not bad, but it's not going to stand up to large volumes of fire. The Terminator does give immunity from morale tests, but the moment he goes down, it's just Veterans with nice guns.

Is there any way to get a +1 to invul saves, or at least a reroll?

This wouldn't seem like so much of an issue but for the points. The cost of each Veteran is more than that of a regular SM Veteran. Do they cost more just because of the special ammo?

I'm working on mine, but I tend toward fluffy armies over competitive anyway.

I'll have a couple good loadouts in my kill teams, but at least one is going to be off the wall weird to represent a kill team that was recalled from a mission to back up my main force.

Archived