ETL Motivation & Planning Thread

StruManChu

I am in the process of converting an Archmagos Malagra for my Thallax centric army.

Here are two mock ups. As the weapon he will have are a Paragon Blade and a Power Fist I was originally going for the version holding the ‘spear’ in one hand with the power fist in the other, but as I was playing around I though that the other version also looks nice. However then I would just have the ‘spear’ and no powerfist. Which one do you think will look better and would the size of the ‘spear’ make it ok to claim that it is both a count as power fist and a count as paragon blade, say by using different fighting techniques.

gallery_29932_12734_75261.jpg

I have some EC – at the moment most of them turn traitor. Beside two Contemptor Dreads there is a bunch of hq and elite jump infantry: a Destroyer Squad, a Moritat, a Praetor with Command Squad. I will take the traitors' side obviously so that I could potentially add a WB Diabolist and Lorgar if I manage to get it all done and make a second vow. Should I get it done that is 1225 + 500 pts (assuming named characters go by their base cost).

AoD faction has only access to the explicit contents of the red books. No allies or other add-ons. If it is in the red books it’s fine. If not, it’s not allowed.

PM me if you want discuss further. :)

How does that interact with fortifications?

I believe Fortifications are covered in the new main (red) rulebook.

some stuff i will pledge eventually(hopefully?):

Captain Semper wip:

gallery_60230_9650_134077.jpg

needs arms and swords.

siege-breaker:

gallery_60230_9843_552512.jpg

Legion Medusa wip:

gallery_60230_9650_483819.jpg

there's two more

sicaran punisher:

gallery_60230_9650_542367.jpg

wip spartan:

gallery_60230_9650_590038.jpg

the tracks were broken upon arrival(bought secong hand) so i'm using rhino tracks instead.

Captain Semper: the following i wonder if i can count-as official models:

count-as Dracosan Armoured Transport:

gallery_60230_9650_219242.jpg

just the side so far, scratchbuilt.

count-as contemptor based upon the oop chaos dreadnought from space crusade:

gallery_60230_9650_13832.jpg

count-as solar auxilia:

gallery_60230_9843_452285.jpg

based upon tempestus scions with puppetswar and anvil bits.

Reinforcements from the daemon forges!

XR90Bvh.jpg

The Juggernaughts (minus the Bloodletters) will be my counts-as Thallax, if that's okay. I think some stompy daemon engines fit the Dark Mechanicus quite well, and three 7th edition Bloodcrushers would be the same price as three Thallax, so hopefully that's all fine. I also picked up an Age of Sigmar Khorgorath, which with some conversion work will hopefully become a Myrmidon (or something), somewhere down the line.

Unfortunately, my plastic glue seems to have evaporated (???), so I'll have to pick up some more before I can get building.

As far as I've understood, we compete at three levels:

- Loyalists vs. Traitors at the subforum level

- AoD vs. all the other subforums (ie. Chaos includes all their factions: space marines, daemons, renegades and heretics)

- All factions from all subforums to be the single faction with the most points.

So to beat Chaos as a subforum, loyalists and traitors have to cooperate. However, at the same time your faction wants to beat the other (so loyalists want to have more points than traitors and viceversa), and also amass as many points as possible to beat all other factions (chaos space marines, codex marines, space wolves, Imperial Guard, Adeptus Mechanicus, etc.)

^ What he said.

The main game is to win the ETL proper by being the highest scoring Faction, and every point that everyone within the entirety of the AoD forum contributes to that.

Factions are - 

Loyal Astartes (Codex/BA/DA/SW)

Loyal Imperial (GK/DW/Guard/Ad Mech/Custards/Sisters etc.)

Chaos (Astartes/Daemons etc.)

Xenos (All Eldar/Tau/Necrons/Orks/Nids & Cults)

Age of Darkness (Loyalist/Traitor)

The other side of the coin is that Loyalist and Traitor will be playing off each other to see who manages to contribute the most to our total overall. So if the AoD scores the highest end total, and the traitors have scored 55% of that, they win double.

If then the traitor points total is higher than the total of every other sub-forum (bracketed above), then they win a triple crown.

Captain Semper's better explanation can be found here - http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/345917-its-been-a-long-time/page-15?do=findComment&comment=5062421

So we are split is that for the purpose of the whole forum or just within the aod forum?

To specify, to beat chaos do we need traitor plus loyalists points or either traitor or loyalists?

The split is both within each faction (although it's easier for other factions as they do have distinct forums) and across factions by adding up the score of each Forum within each Faction to work out the total Faction Score. 

So outwardly, the AoD will be one thing, but internally it will be split in two "artificial" sub-forums. :)

Reinforcements from the daemon forges!

XR90Bvh.jpg

The Juggernaughts (minus the Bloodletters) will be my counts-as Thallax, if that's okay. I think some stompy daemon engines fit the Dark Mechanicus quite well, and three 7th edition Bloodcrushers would be the same price as three Thallax, so hopefully that's all fine. I also picked up an Age of Sigmar Khorgorath, which with some conversion work will hopefully become a Myrmidon (or something), somewhere down the line.

Unfortunately, my plastic glue seems to have evaporated (???), so I'll have to pick up some more before I can get building.

That's great stuff! :tu: for a moment there I thought you were actually pledging Daemons.... :o

AS A GENERAL REMINDER, DAEMONS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR AoD DUE TO

1) NOT BEING IN THE BLACK AND RED BOOKS

2) EVEN IF USED IN-GAME, THERE IS NO COMPATIBILITY BETWEEN 7TH AND 8TH EDITION CODEX POINTS TO USE IN THE ETL 

So no Daemons for AoD. Somehow, I don't think that'll be a problem... 

That's great stuff! :thumbsup: for a moment there I thought you were actually pledging Daemons.... :ohmy.:

AS A GENERAL REMINDER, DAEMONS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR AoD DUE TO

1) NOT BEING IN THE BLACK AND RED BOOKS

2) EVEN IF USED IN-GAME, THERE IS NO COMPATIBILITY BETWEEN 7TH AND 8TH EDITION CODEX POINTS TO USE IN THE ETL 

So no Daemons for AoD. Somehow, I don't think that'll be a problem... 

Glad to hear that's all aok!

And I wasn't planning on doing any daemons myself, there was just a conversation going on about it in the main thread, so I just thought it would be good to get some clarification :happy.: Thanks for clearing it up!

Just busted out the last of my Mephiston red spray and prepped a malcador, vindicator, drop pod and a land raider for my thousand sons, turns out the bulk of my pledges will be for them! On the weekend i’ll Go out and get more spray so I can finish building some infantry and my storm eagle so I can prep them for pledging as well!

So I have hit a slight speed bump in my knight construction... What to put on the base I have him portions of a Typhon that were miscast and a severly damaged land raider with it being an atropos I feel it is only right to have enemy armor destroyed underfoot but what vehicle?

So I think its time for me to finally enter my first ETL, having sat by the sidelines previously due to lack of models in a suitably ready stage of painting (I have far too much half done).

However, as I've got a Betrayal at Calth box that is half built/basecoated this is good timing for me :) Hopefully I'll be able to get through the whole box and maybe some of a second.

For those last minute ETL needs, Forge World still has free shipping on orders over £100 until Monday, 30 April at 2359 GMT.

This has been a public service announcement from the Emperor. We now return you to our regularly scheduled program. Carry on.

Just got back from my local store with some new basecoat spray and glue - now I should be all set to go! My skitarii have all arrived too, so I have everything for my first vow or two. Great time to be getting into Mechanicus, what with so many Forgebane bits going cheap on eBay! 

Only a few days to go now gang, let's show everyone that the AoD is still a force to be reckoned with!

I'm going to spend the weekend trying to get ready everything for at least the first vow, I've got a breacher squad and a terminator suqad that need the last scultping details, two metal land speeders to be assembled, and some HQs that need sculpt work. Hopefully I'll get everything ready to prime!

... two metal land speeders to be assembled...

Ack!!! Ack, ack, ack!!! Flashbacks!

They have to be my all time least favorite model to build. They so like to fall apart despite my best efforts. I finally built a jig for them when i did my DA 2nd company. All I can say is have fun and use plenty of pins and two part epoxy.

With only a few days to go I hope everybody’s preparations are going well.

Unfortunately not all the parts for the second and third Medusa or for the Macrocarid Explorators arrived in time, so I will not be finishing those conversions for a while.

Here are some group shots of what I have managed to build in preparation. I highly doubt I will get through all of it but they are there should I get that far.

First of the Thallax, Ursarax and the Magos Malagra to lead them. I hope to get all of these finished for the event and my first two or three vows will probably be made up of these guys.

gallery_29932_12734_78215.jpg

And here are all the robots.

gallery_29932_12734_45474.jpg

Finally some Magos and my Medusa. In the back is the Malagra from earlier, the one based on Draykavac is my Ordo Reductor Archmagos, then the two plastic ones are going to be two Magos Dominus to sheppard the robots and the little one is Calleb Decima.

gallery_29932_12734_27237.jpg

Archived