BA Base of fire

Buggane

I cannot unsee, or unhear myself read, "Lasticals." Are they moist too? The moist lasticals, just sitting in the back are your go-to?

Somewhere in the grim darkness of the far future...Slaanesh's ears perk up....

Mort, do you find rapier quad launchers or quad bolters stand on their own as point efficient units? The only reason I honestly look at them is to use 3 rapiers and 3 tarantulas as cheap "tax" FA and Heavy slots to unlock a brigade. I often find myself taking 4 HQ, 6 Troop for double battallion, but I usually have at least 3 elites in there. So 3x85pt rapiers and 3x37pt tarantulas gets the Brigade, which is now +12 CP to the +10 from the double batt. 

This would be okay if they are someone point efficient or fill a useful tactical role. Otherwise its probably not necessary for 2 extra CP...

Would the quad mortar still be able to use the 'thunderfire shells' stratagem I wonder? The TFC has a spot in my list purely because that strat could be a game - changer.

What do you guys think about landspeeders with heavy bolters and assault cannons for taking out fast assaulting chaff like gaunts. They are more expensive and less firepower than a razorback, but they can fly away and still shoot, and don't get worse as they lose wounds. What do you guys think?

What do you guys think about landspeeders with heavy bolters and assault cannons for taking out fast assaulting chaff like gaunts. They are more expensive and less firepower than a razorback, but they can fly away and still shoot, and don't get worse as they lose wounds. What do you guys think?

Possibly although if you want a unit that can FLY then Bolter Inceptors might be better. Same toughness, wounds and save. Not quite as fast but they can enter from Reserves and benefit from UWOF. For only a slight points increase over the Landspeeder, 3 Inceptors get twice as many shots as an HB/AC Speeder.

Unless you park them on an OBJ and lob Typhoon missiles, then Advance to a different objective....or take the Index version in a squadron of 3 and cheese some 20" movement + 6D6 Heavy Flamer shots....Land Speeders are just so "meh" this edition.

Why stormbolters for SternGuard?

Why not take Company Vets for that?

IMO, if you are taking Sternguard you are taking them for Special Issue boltguns (30" Rapid Fire 1 S4 AP-2 D:1). Almost anything else can be done better* by a different unit.

*always subjective

Another vote for the Venator from me, as well as the Punisher for anti-chaff. That thing hurls out a bucket of dice every round.

Rapier Batteries are nice too, but my MVP has been the Whirlwind Scorpius. Just sitting out of sight, clearing anything you need clearing, from frail eldar bodies to primaris to light vehicles. Love it and highly recommend it. Park your captain next to it prior to UWOFing him and/or a Lt. and drink sweet tears.

Great thing about the Venator is the speed and no movement penalty to BS.

You could literally zoom them up the table keeping up with a Jump pack character providing re-rolls.

IMO, if you are taking Sternguard you are taking them for Special Issue boltguns (30" Rapid Fire 1 S4 AP-2 D:1). Almost anything else can be done better* by a different unit.

*always subjective

I'll second this. Also SIA Sternguard are one of the coolest and most intetesting Marine infantry units imo.

*always subjective

Absolutely, and not really subjective it's pretty objective that Storm Bolters are better used on Company Veterans: they cost the same but you can give them Chainswords for free!

SIBs and Masterful Marksmanship are two things that are 100% unique to Sternguard: that's they're whole shebang (and it is good!) Plus, they're still Veterans with 2A which makes them decent for utilising Red Thirst.

So for the same cost as Intercessors you're losing out on durability but gaining a lot of punch (-1W vs +1 to Wound and extra AP). I need to paint mine up, because they're great.

The rest of this discussion just tells me there is nearly no reason to ever take Sternguard. The vast majority of the time the SIB is the same or worse than a stormbolter. If you want to spend a CP and shoot at things with a 2+ save then the SIB have a place, but at that point you pretty much just need to ask yourself why you aren’t puttting more assault cannons in your list.

Is the standard whirlwind any good for clearing chaff? Something that doesn't need line of sight seems like a good idea but it doesn't have the rof of an assault cannon

Nope. It's pretty bad at, well, everything really.

Its 2d6 shot profile kills about 2-3 guardsmen a turn. Which doesn't sound bad, till you realize they cost 8/12 pts, and your tank costs over a 100.

It has some very small utility bonus for being able to shoot things out of LoS, but it doesn't make up for its pathetic damage output in my opinion. Assault Cannons, Stormbolters, or just scouts with pistols and blades clear chaff much more efficiently.

Would the 2D3 autocannon shots be good with the land speeder stratagem? Average four S7 -1 2D autohits on a target, plus a one use autohit hunter killer, for 110 points. I wonder if the FW Tempest would be any good? 35" advance is some ludicrous speed.

You have to buy a weak unit and spend CPs to make a mediocre unit better. :(

A more cost effective solution would be to put a Whirlwind behind some LOS-blocking terrain with Devastators on top and get a cheap Captain to buff both squads.

Archived