primarch fights - the good and the bad

b1soul

The first Fulgrim vs Ferrus is easily the worst imo.McNeil was obviously going for the safe option of having each primarch win one fight, but Fulgrim not mentally able to kill Ferrus in the one he wins and saved by the extra power of the Laer Blade when he's going to lose the rematch. The first fight is a wasted scene though.

You've got the awful attempt to sway Ferrus, dubious dialogue where Fulgrim tells Ferrus about Lorgar and co already being traitors, and in the actual fight Ferrus gets a cut across his cheek and a few punches to the face before knocking himself unconscious by grabbing and blowing up Fireblade. This is meant to be one of most martial, physically imposing and unrelenting of the Primarchs, yet he gives in to a desperate gambit after a flesh wound and a few punches? Mcneil really fails to earn the symbolism he's going for and "i made this sword and i can break it too" line. Granted a lot of the mentions of Ferrus possessing those traits came after this, but Graham had already set him up as a physical powerhouse and warlord, not a pre-isstvan Lorgar of the forge.

slightly off topic, but for charismatic demi gods, i find the primarchs attempts to sway each other either to chaos or back to the imperium to be pretty pedestrian so far. i'd love to have seen a discussion where one primarch almost convinces another (as can happen between friends, family...hell telemarketers can do).  so far its all been fairly unconvincing for me

Well, there was the discussion between the Khan and the fragment of Magnus in Scars, that's the best one so far.

All others seem to be rushed through so they can fit it into a single chapter, even better if they can include an awesome fight scene quickly.

Archived