Where is Alexis Polux now in the HH series?

Wulfburk

Dang I was hoping for a novel.

It’s a novella.

From what Laurie Golding wrote in the afterword for Shadows of Treachery, they needed something at short notice to cover the Battle of Phall and the Night Lord's defeat at Thramas prior to Unremembered Empire, so we wound up with two novellas packed into an anthology instead of a novel for each. Not that I'm complaining - both Crimson Fist and Prince of Crows each make better reading than some full-length novels in this series.

Back to the OP - Lexicanum has no mention of him being at the Siege so it could go either way. Now the Ruinstorm's been cleared there's time yet for him to make his way to Terra.

Based on the setup at the end of Ruinstorm and the Polux's seeming-closeness with the Ultramarines legion over the Blood Angels and Dark Angels, it seems kind of doubtful he'll be at Terra for the siege; it's more likely he's

working with Guilliman to attack the traitor fleets.

That is, assuming he's even with the fleets trying to get to Terra and not back at Macragge or something. That was kind of a glaring omission in Ruinstorm: there was no mention of what happened to the Shattered Legions forces that had accumulated in Ultramar during Imperium Secundus.

Based on the setup at the end of Ruinstorm and the Polux's seeming-closeness with the Ultramarines legion over the Blood Angels and Dark Angels, it seems kind of doubtful he'll be at Terra for the siege; it's more likely he's

That is, assuming he's even with the fleets trying to get to Terra and not back at Macragge or something. That was kind of a glaring omission in Ruinstorm: there was no mention of what happened to the Shattered Legions forces that had accumulated in Ultramar during Imperium Secundus.

I don’t like that for Polux. The Siege is the great crucible for the Fists. They should all be apart of it. The act of not being present for it will essentially make them no longer Fists.

Based on the setup at the end of Ruinstorm and the Polux's seeming-closeness with the Ultramarines legion over the Blood Angels and Dark Angels, it seems kind of doubtful he'll be at Terra for the siege; it's more likely he's

That is, assuming he's even with the fleets trying to get to Terra and not back at Macragge or something. That was kind of a glaring omission in Ruinstorm: there was no mention of what happened to the Shattered Legions forces that had accumulated in Ultramar during Imperium Secundus.

I don’t like that for Polux. The Siege is the great crucible for the Fists. They should all be apart of it. The act of not being present for it will essentially make them no longer Fists

The absence of Polux and some of the Fists may already be hinted at in prior source material. Polux and the first Crimson Fists were the more level-headed of the VII Legion's marines. Could be that this was at least partly due to them missing out on the Siege and all the psychological baggage the Black Templars, Excoriators and Imperial Fists' founding members were saddled with as a result. The Crimson Fists are also mentioned as being the 'younger' members of the VII - maybe some didn't even graduate from Scouts until between the Siege and the Second Founding.

I don’t like that for Polux. The Siege is the great crucible for the Fists. They should all be apart of it. The act of not being present for it will essentially make them no longer Fists.

As they are no longer Imperial Fists post Heresy, that makes sense to me

There is a lot of time between the Siege and second founding, though. It’s like the guys who weren’t at Normandy never really being accepted until everything sucked again at Bastogne. I don’t like it narratively and I don’t like it for Polux fans. Imagine being told your football team was gonna play in the Super Bowl and your favorite player isn’t there for lame reasons.

I can kind of see the thought process though. As far back as the IA article, the Crimson Fists were the less-embittered, largely recent initiates who were more content to take up the reforms of the codex astartes and who were not taken to the iron cage. Having them get their first chapter master (and presumably their core) fighting alongside the UM is largely just working with what's there but definitely is a... literalisation of their character, I guess?

It feels a bit clumsy pushing this moment of separation in the histories/characters of the CF and IF back from the iron cage to before the siege; broadly the same emotional impact on them, but it does hurt the CF a bit.

EDIT: Orwell84 pointed this out before me but to be honest the experience of marines who 'came of age' during the heresy or were otherwise nobodies until the scouring is generally not covered extensively by the BL books or, largely, the FW black books. A bit on the WE recruits and that's it. It means that we end up using Polux as a sort of proxy for the experience of all proto-CF.

Remember in unremembered empire when Polux and Guilliman meet? They have an agreement that if there is an opportunity to make it back to Terra then the IF in Ultramar will take it. Remember, the whole point of Crimson Fist is that true Imperial Fists follow orders, period. And this is further made clear in that conversation in UE. Rogal Dorn commanded all Imperial Fists to return to Terra. If Polux and the remaining IF don't join the Blood Angels in the journey to Terra, I will consider it a dropped ball for sure.

Remember in unremembered empire when Polux and Guilliman meet? They have an agreement that if there is an opportunity to make it back to Terra then the IF in Ultramar will take it. Remember, the whole point of Crimson Fist is that true Imperial Fists follow orders, period. And this is further made clear in that conversation in UE. Rogal Dorn commanded all Imperial Fists to return to Terra. If Polux and the remaining IF don't join the Blood Angels in the journey to Terra, I will consider it a dropped ball for sure.

Agreed. I hope in the next books from the loyalist perspective [slaves of darkness apparently is on the traitor perspective? havent read it] tackles this issue.

Polux on terra or we RIOT :biggrin.:

In the battle of phall  polux followed Dorn's order to come back to terra even when giving up an opportunity to win a battle [or at least they thought they could win]

Why would he then not follow the order when the opportunity is there and its between following the order and having picknick in maccrage or Sotha

It’s a novella.

Do you happen to know the name of the novella? Also do you happen to know the name of the book it is featured ? If you know either/both would you please be so kind as to share that information - that is why I was asking. :rolleyes

It’s a novella.

Do you happen to know the name of the novella? Also do you happen to know the name of the book it is featured ? If you know either/both would you please be so kind as to share that information - that is why I was asking. :rolleyes

It had already been answered before this? I was just pointing out that while it’s not quite the novel you were hoping for, it’s more than just a short story.

Your request has already been answered, Black Orange:

Archived