Facing the Unknown - Starting a New army together

Trokair

Facing the Unknown

Facing the Unknown is going to be a community event from now until the end of the year.

The goal, at its most simple, is to start a new army.

Specifically New in that is not an army or faction that you have ever collected or played before. This is your chance to learn and collect an army you always fancied the idea of but never got round to, or a faction that is far removed from your current army in flavor or play style.

I want the emphasis to be on the experience of trying something new, learning the new army and seeing where this takes you.

I would also ask fellow participants to offer advice to each other if they have experience with an army another is learning.

Ideally New in this context should be completely and utterly New. That said, as someone who has been a hobbyist for a long time and have collect multiple armies and thought or dabbled about others there is a somewhat limited supply of New. As such the exact spirit of Newness in your project will be for you to judge, the importance is that we all try.

The event will consist of several vowes and you must complete the first before you can proceed to the next. You can start at any time, as it is never to late to try a new army, but bear in mind that the event will end with the closing of the year. 

The Vows

As you may not know what units you want to start with, or even the full extent of your options, rather than vowing individual units your vow will be at the detachment level. This leaves you free to work out what you want as you learn about your new army. Completions can be claimed when you have filled the minimum requirement of the chosen detachment. You are free to fill out the detachment as much as you want but you cannot exceed your chosen detachment capacity for the vow.

The standard of the models needs to be tabletop ready. However I will leave it up to you when you consider this to be the case. Our abilities are all different and many of us are passable but not expert painters.

Completion must have pictures to show your progress. Starting pictures are not required as you may not know what you want to build when you start or change your mind as time progress. Obviously starting and progress pictures will be much appreciated.

Progress should be at least monthly. Just show what you have done or learned even if not a lot has happened.

The detachment choices are for this event only and you are free to play your army however you want or works. You cannot use units you completed in this event for another vow unless it is an upgrade vow rather than a vow which ads a detachment. For example, when expanding from Patrol to Battalion you can (and probably should) use the units you have already completed to go towards filling the Battalion. However if you started with a Vanguard and have added a Spearhead then you have two detachments and they cannot share completed units.

Learning Vow

This is the first Vow you will need to make, in it you will need to pick your faction and take the initial steps on this road. Your detachment for this will be a Patrol Detachment, or if the flavor and form of your army works better any one of the following: Vanguard, Spearhead, Outrider, and Super Heavy Auxiliary. For example a bike themed army would pick Outrider and a tank company would pick Spearhead.

The aim of the learning vow is to get your codex/index, familiarize yourself with it and paint up a few units, enough to start having a few small games and learn how they play.

The faction you pick will be the only faction you can work on for the rest of the event, so no allies later on. That said I am aware that several of the smaller factions like Inquisitors cannot form functioning armies, in such cases this rule does not apply and instead you have to stay within the spirit of the faction in the lore. If in doubt ask me.

You also need to state your eventual goal or aim with this army. This is where you think you want to go, or what point level or power level you want to reach. You do not have to reach this goal with the Learning Vow, or any of the subsequent vows. The Goal is what you want to get out of the event and you may find that at the end of the year your goals have changed. The stating of the Goal is as much for you to see how you develop and grow this army as it is for others to see what you are aiming for and help if they can.

The Growth Vow

In this vow you need to expand your detachment to a Battalion or Brigade, your choice which, or pick a second detachment from the following: Vanguard, Spearhead, Outrider, Air Wing, Supreme Command or Super Heavy Auxiliary.

If your Learning Vow was a Super Heavy Auxiliary then you can instead expand it to a Super Heavy.
The aim of this Vow is to expand on what you have learned and done so far, in the direction you feel is right for you.

Once you have completed the Growth Vow you can chose to do another if you want, it must expand your existing detachment to a larger one or add a detachment from the list above. You can repeat this as often as you want provided each previous one is completed.

The Emergency Vow

As you get to know your new army, maybe even play a few games you may find that there is something lacking. This vow can be taken at any time after you completed the Learning Vow, and you can do it more than once even while another vow is outstanding. You get one Auxiliary Support Detachment, that is to say any one unit from your faction. The aim of this is to plug a weakness in your army up to this point without expanding or adding the larger detachments. Advice from fellow participants would be great for anybody making an Emergency vow.

The unit you completed for an emergency vow can be used towards another detacment once the Emergency vow is complete. It is only a Auxiliary Support Detachment while you are woking on it.

Experience is a good teacher, not a kind one.

You cannot fail the event if you have made or completed your learning vow but done nothing else. The aim is to try a New army and you may find that it just is not for you. As such not completing the Learning Vow by the end of the year, or completing it but going no further is not a failure.

All other uncompleted Vows by the 31st December 2018 will constitute failure and a debt of honour will be owed.

An army not for you (added 9th August)

If, after completing your Learning Vow, you find that the army does not work for you, then you may make a new Learning Vow for a new army. However, to do so you should, to the best of your ability, share what you have learned about the first army and explain why it did not work out for you.  

I would ask that if you want to evoke this rule a second time (so you have already restarted once and want to restart a second time) that you have a long think about why multiple armies are not working out for you. We are all here to help each other.   

The Vow

You are free to make your own vows as long as they contain the required elements in the summary below and your debt of honour should you fail. Pick your own forfeit, whatever you feel is suitable.

Example:

I, [name], Vow to face the unknown and will [learn about / grow] the [Faction/army/other appropriate description] by the end of the year by working [on / to expand to / adding] a [Patrol / Vanguard / Spearhead / Outrider / Super Heavy Auxiliary / Battalion / Brigade / Air Wing / Supreme Command / Super Heavy] Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will [insert your forfeit].

Summary

Learning Vow
Must do:

• Pick your faction
  • Pick detachment – Patrol, Vanguard, Spearhead, Outrider, or Super Heavy Auxiliary
  • State long term Goal

Optional extra:
Let us know how and why you chose your new army
Starting pictures

Growth Vow

Must do:

• Expand one of your current detachments to a larger one or pick an additional one from: Vanguard, Spearhead, Outrider, Air Wing, Supreme Command or Super Heavy Auxiliary

Optional extra:
Let us know what you have learned so far and what you hope the new additions will bring to your army. Are you moving towards your long term Goal or has it changed?

The Emergency Vow

Must do:

• Auxiliary Support Detachment- State the role you need to fill and what unit you think is going to fill that role.

The unit you chose is not final and you can change your choice if another unit better fulfils the roll you need it to fill once you have had some advice or thought about it more.

List of participants, their Factions, their Vows and their Detachments

Brother Argent – Eldar – Learning Vow – Patrol Detachment

Chaplain Dosjetka – Black Templar – Learning Vow – Patrol Detachment

Dragonlover – Genestealer Cult – Learning Vow (Completed)– Patrol Detachment

Gederas – Deathwatch – Learning Vow (Completed)– Patrol Detachment

Focslain – Adeptus Mechanicus – Learning Vow (Completed)– Patrol Detachment

Greenz – Death Guard – Learning Vow – Patrol Detachment

Grieux – Space Wolves – Learning Vow – Vanguard Detachment

HCMistborn – Black Legion – Learning Vow – Vanguard Detachment

Larkyn – Dark Eldar – Learning Vow – Patrol Detachment

Lhorke The First – Crimson Fists – Learning Vow – Patrol Detachment

Lionofjuda – Imperial Fists – Learning Vow – Patrol Detachment

Lokkorex - Solar Auxilia/Tempestus Scions – Learning Vow (Completed)– Patrol Detachment

Lord Commander Eidolon – Thousand Sons – Learning Vow – Patrol Detachment

MrBadweed – Elder/Ynnari – Learning Vow – Vanguard Detachment

Oldest – Primaris –Learning Vow – Patrol Detachment

Ὀσυμανδύας – Imperial Agents – Learning Vow – Vanguard Detachment

Skidman – Iron Warriors – Learning Vow – Vanguard Detachment

TheBlackPumpkin – Emperor’s Children – Learning Vow – Patrol Detachment

the ergonomic enginseer – Iron Hands – Learning Vow (Completed)– Patrol Detachment

.Torch. – Adeptus Custodes – Learning Vow (Completed) – Patrol Detachment

TrawlingCleaner – Sons of Orar : Word Bearers – Learning Vow (Completed) : Lerning Vow 2 – Patrol Detachment

Trokair – Deathwatch – Learning Vow (Completed) : Growth Vow (Completed)– Patrol --> Battalion Detachment  -- Emergency Vow! (Completed)

FAQ and other things

I have tried to think of everything, but I will have missed things, not clarified or otherwise not acounted for every senario. that is what the FAQ is for and I will add to it as and when. If you have a question ask. 

The most important thing is to experiance and learn a new army, everything else is secondery. 

Q: I have already started a New army and painted a few models, can I still join?
A: You can, as long as you feel that you are still in the initial stages of starting the army. There is no time limit on this, so if you started an army a few years ago but never got past a few models and have not done anything with it since then that is fine.

Q: Can AoD armies take part?
A: Yes, as long as they are new to you. Causion is advised if you have one Legion force and want to collect another that is similar, but the same applies to any faction that has strong similarities/ties to another faction. What counts when you select an army is that it is New to you and you will have a New experience in collecting it. You define the Newness.

Q: I see that your forfeit is a donation to the B&C, do I need to do this?
A: No, I do not expect and would never ask for you spend your money in any way that you are not happy with. So if you cannot or do not want to have a donation as a forfeit then that is fine. You pick the forfeit after all, so it is something that you will need to be content with should you fail. The forfeit can serve as a motivator (as in you don’t want to do that so let’s work hard so it does not come to it) or as penance (I for example will lose hobby budget should I fail so that I cannot just by new things/go out and must instead try to finish, that the B&C benefits is just a positive side effect (as I would probably have donated some unspent hobby budget anyway, this way it will just be a bit more.)

Q: I want to build/paint/convert a model/models for the army theme but there is no data sheet for it in my army?
A: You are free to build and paint them; you just won’t be able to use them to fill a slot in a detachment.
That said Count as is fine as long it is clear what the conversion is supposed to represent and is recognizable as the unit/equipment on the datasheet.
So if for example you are building a Kill Team for the army then go ahead, you may be able to find a way to make it into a legal unit and fill a slot in a detachment but if not then you have still added to and learned something about your army.

Right, I better lead by example.

Learning Vow:

I, Trokair, Vow to face the unknown and will learn about the Deathwatch by the end of the year by working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will donate £25 to the B&C.  

Personal self imposed Limitation: This army will be Primaries focused, any non primaries date sheets I wish to use must be suitably converted to fit the theme.

My long term Goal is to collect and paint a Primaris themed Deathwatch army of 1500p using Dark Imperium as the starting of point and adding in additional Primaris kits and conversions as needed.

As I mentioned in the thread to see if anybody was interested I have collected various forms of Space Marines over the years. So for me the spirit of Newnes is in that I have never done Deathwatch before but have had an interest in since they first where introduced, and  the literally new (if a year old by now) Primaris.

Starting picture to follow.

I've got a Templars project that I've started but so far only a handful of models have been painted and I've only had a handful of games. Since I'm still discovering the army and need to build it up, would that project be eligible for this challenge?

I've been collecting space wolves since I bought the first blister of Blackmane but took quite a long hiatus of 15+ years. Also I've only played a game since 4th edition.

If you'll accept my army, I vow to complete and own for the first time a fully painted army!

My long term goal is to have an army full of character and conversions as it befits the sixth legion.

To start with I'll pledge a Vanguard detachment since I have 10 Terminators in WIP and I'm hoping for new releases for the troops with our codex.

Yay ! I'm game.

I, MrBadweed,  Vow to face the unknown and will  learn about the Craftworld  Aeldari/ Ynnari by the end of the year by working on Vanguard Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will donate 20E to the BnC.

I have just ordered two start collecting boxes so this is a great way to share stuff/keep motivated. I want to build a non power armored army because all my games seem to be very much marines vs marine. Plus the nighthaunt range for that other game offers so many options for a ghost/dead Eldar army.

The goal is to mix nighthaunt and Eldar ranges to build a unique Eldar army, think Ynnari or an old remnant cut off in a webway realm that turned to a twisted version of Ynnead/Necromancy. I'l be taking cues from Morback's Blind necromancers ( go check out his blog LesKouzes) and mix the Nighthaunt and idoneth Range with Craftworld/Drukharii bitz to make my stuff. Also i've ordered Pearlescent paints so will be trying those through the airbrush to try and get an alien look to mydudes.

This Vanguard Detachement will consist of Two Wraithlords, 5 wraithblades and a Farseer to start with. i might bulk it up if time/real life permits it.

Cool idea. I've got some IRL stuff to deal with over the next week or so, if that all shakes out ok I may well jump in on this.

Dragonlover

Hope it all works out for you and see you when you are ready.

Would this be something that would be open to a Horus Heresy army?

Of course, as long as it is New to you. So if you have a Legion force  already then the new one should be as different and new to you as possible. As mentioned in the initial post, you decide what the Newnes aspect of your project is, as long as you feel you are doing something new then it is allowed.

What army did you have in mind?

"Pplease say Mecanicum, Please say Mecanicum" - ok I may be baised there, collect whatever you want. ;) 

I've got a Templars project that I've started but so far only a handful of models have been painted and I've only had a handful of games. Since I'm still discovering the army and need to build it up, would that project be eligible for this challenge?

Definitely, if you are still in the early stages then this is the event for you.  

I've been collecting space wolves since I bought the first blister of Blackmane but took quite a long hiatus of 15+ years. Also I've only played a game since 4th edition.

If you'll accept my army, I vow to complete and own for the first time a fully painted army!

My long term goal is to have an army full of character and conversions as it befits the sixth legion.

To start with I'll pledge a Vanguard detachment since I have 10 Terminators in WIP and I'm hoping for new releases for the troops with our codex.

Welcome aboard Grieux, as I just explained for Chaplain Dosjetka, as long as the army is new to you and you are in the early stages that is fine. Even if the early stages where a while ago. I know all too well the pains of getting excited for a new army/project/anything, and then never probably getting started with it and languishing for many a year.

So, should failure befall you what will your forfeit be?    

Yay ! I'm game.

I, MrBadweed,  Vow to face the unknown and will  learn about the Craftworld  Aeldari/ Ynnari by the end of the year by working on Vanguard Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will donate 20E to the BnC.

I have just ordered two start collecting boxes so this is a great way to share stuff/keep motivated. I want to build a non power armored army because all my games seem to be very much marines vs marine. Plus the nighthaunt range for that other game offers so many options for a ghost/dead Eldar army.

The goal is to mix nighthaunt and Eldar ranges to build a unique Eldar army, think Ynnari or an old remnant cut off in a webway realm that turned to a twisted version of Ynnead/Necromancy. I'l be taking cues from Morback's Blind necromancers ( go check out his blog LesKouzes) and mix the Nighthaunt and idoneth Range with Craftworld/Drukharii bitz to make my stuff. Also i've ordered Pearlescent paints so will be trying those through the airbrush to try and get an alien look to mydudes.

This Vanguard Detachement will consist of Two Wraithlords, 5 wraithblades and a Farseer to start with. i might bulk it up if time/real life permits it.

Welcome MrBadweed

Certainly sounds like a fun projects.  I am very interest to see where this goes.

I have a Wraith army that I played in 6th/7th so I may be able to offer some advise, though I have no idea how things have changed with 8th edition for the wraith constructs.    

I will also shortly add a few FAQ to the inital posts. 

Failure will see me donating 25 USD to BaC.

Status of my current two units of Terminators and Murderfang conversion:

nyTf76A.jpg

GydzPJA.jpg

0c19Qpu.jpg

All terminators are at the level of the first, Dreadnought as shown. The guy on the right is an Iron Priest who can be the HQ for the vanguard detachment.

Only current painted elements of the army and standard to which I want to paint all vows:

GPKIgzF.jpg

rngGPZ2.jpg

OGM9uDx.jpg

P4rQWtj.jpg

yr6X2se.jpg

Jaw drop!

That Murderfang conversion is a nice Idea. Kudos.

As for the standard of the painted models, impressive and a high goal to set for yourself.

I collected Space wolves back in late second early third so plenty to love here.

Jaw drop!

That Murderfang conversion is a nice Idea. Kudos.

As for the standard of the painted models, impressive and a high goal to set for yourself.

I collected Space wolves back in late second early third so plenty to love here.

Thanks mate! I'm a father of three so time outside home is a premium but I'm happy to spend 20+ hours per model, it also helps spend less if you're disciplined about not buying until they're painted!

This is a hint that contradicts all I said above and more than possibly my second vow:

V8lUtUz.jpg

SVXwThb.jpg

aCmVswh.jpg

RRVGxgh.jpg

I, Chaplain Dosjetka, vow to face the unknown and redeem my tainted honour. I will expand both my knowledge about and my army of Black Templars by the end of the year by working my way towards an augmented Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will donate 50 CHF to the B&C.

More details and pictures to follow.

DAAAAAANG Grieux!

Wolves have never caught my eye before but seriously awesome murdermakers! Your conversion work and paintjobs are ace, bud!

And would you mind sharing where those pads on your termis are from?

I haven’t got much of plan for my Deathwatch yet, so for the moment I am just building some units that I think will be useful. More precise choice and builds will come later.

So far I have build 9 of the Dark Imperium Intercessors, a random Primaries body I obtained in a bits box rummage (a normal Intercessor I think), 5 normal Intercessors and 4 Dark Imperium Hellblasters. I have had a good look at the normal Intersessor and Hellblaster boxes for spar bits I can use to convert the Dark Imperium bunch a little bit so that they don’t looks to similar.

On the Hellblasters two have the extra lense/sight from the assault plasma while the two auxiliary grenadlauncher guns have been used as well.

I have built 3 Sergeants for the Intercessors so far: One with the Deathwatch upgrade sprue sword in hand. One with a helmet and a chainsword from my bits box on his belt and one with the other helmet and a chainfits atachment converted bayonet style onto his gun.

I have 5 bodies left of the normal Intarsessors, so probably going to do one more sergeant and a few more interseesors. I may leave one or two bodies unused for now so that I have bodies for HQ conversions. I also have one Dark Imperium Intercessor body as well as the Dark Imperium Lieutenants and Ancient to use for such conversion so let’s see how it turns out.

gallery_29932_13153_38154.jpg

Next I am probably going to do the last Dark Imperium Hellblaster and then start on the box of 10 Hellblasters. After that one of the Lieutenants will be converted into a captain and then I think I’ll see what units to form and paint for vow one.

DAAAAAANG Grieux!

Wolves have never caught my eye before but seriously awesome murdermakers! Your conversion work and paintjobs are ace, bud!

And would you mind sharing where those pads on your termis are from?

Thanks mate! They’re from mastercrafted miniatures, really good quality company.

A difficult choice for sure, which do you think you will get the most experience/fun/enjoyment out of?

That's the issue. Probably will go with Deathwatch, since I was planning on doing them for Kill Team. I've got the Start Collecting! box for them.

And with Custodes/Talons of the Emperor.... I have a Battalion of the Banana men :lol:

Learning Vow:

I, Ὀσυμανδύας, vow to face the unknown and will learn about the Imperial Agents Faction by the end of the year by working on a Vanguard Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will donate $25 to the B&C.

Long Term Goal: My long term goal is to build, paint, and play an army of Imperial Agents. Using the Inquisition as their core organizer, I plan to slowly expand with other Imperial forces as the Astra Militarum, Adeptus Mechanicus, Adeptus Astra Telepathica, and Officio Assassinorum.

Optional Extras: I also have my share of classic Adeptus Astartes models, although completing a specific army has always eluded me. I have never done a specifically small army, let alone one requiring various allied factions, and the visceral drama of the Inquisition has intrigued me since Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn trilogy began in 2001. John Blanche's "The Inquisitor Sketchbook" (2005) was also a big factor.

Thematic Choice: This army will be focused around the Ordo Machinum, originally mentioned in the 6th edition Codex: Inquisition. The Ordo Machinum is extremely focused on the Adeptus Mechanicus, particularly in regards to the reintegration and recovery of STC technology. They endeavor to prevent any flawed or heretical elements from entering the Emperor's service. They also watch over any Magos who may be tempted to subvert the balance of power between the Imperium and the Adeptus Mechanicus.

As the Ordo operates within such close proximity of the Adeptus Mechanicus, even travelling with the Explorator Fleets to survey archeotech finds and recoveries, it would be natural to presume that very select elements of allied forces accompany the Inquisitors. These allies, whether from the Astra Militarum, Adeptus Astartes, Assassinorum, etc would have some ties to the Adeptus Mechanicus as well. These allies, for the most part, would need to be trusted and respected as working in the Omnissiah's best interests. Almost as Astartes' Techmarines make their vows to Mars and the Omnissiah yet still serve in their Chapter's service, so too do these Imperial Agents commit themselves in a similar fashion while serving the Ordo Machinum.

I want to give any allied factions a "mechanicus-tech" look and feel to their models. I can see myself looking over much of John Blanche's artwork in the days to come.

Starting Pictures: (pending acquisition of models - yea, we're starting with a clean slate.)

I, HCMistborn, Vow to face the unknown and will learn about the Black Legion by the end of the year by working on a Vanguard Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will donate $20 to the B&C.

The plan is to do a paint scheme that can be used as both Black Legion and a loyalist chapter, as such I will be building individual models for use in multiple units, as well as legal but unique load outs. I want to run them like the fluff, not the crunch. Not every tactical squad is going to carry the same weaponry in a Chapter.

The rough plan is to pick up both Burning of Prospero and Betrayal at Calth, but for my first vow I will assemble and paint my 5 Cata terminators, 5x Chosen, a Terminator Chaos Lord, and a DV Helbrute.

In the long run, this may be a dual army, with me building Space Marine Loyalist only units and Chaos Only units, but for now it will be my Space Marine Chapter after they fell to the dark powers and joined the Despoilers cause.

Learning Vow:

I, Gederas, Vow to face the unknown and will learn about the Deathwatch by the end of the year by working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will convert and paint an Astartes (Loyalist or Heretic) model/diorama of Trokair's choosing. :D

These guys are essentially going to be both a 40k test, but more for Kill Team.

Also, Trokair, a question:

What about one-off characters? For example, I was making a True-Scale Deathwatch Kill-Team for Inq28, built off of Primaris Marines, and a majority of them would likely not work for 40k. For example, this Apothecary and Plasmagunner (Hellblaster) would work in 40k, but the Assault Marine would not.

tH2LIrp.jpg

Edit: First Battle brother is assembled and ready for priming

AeXol42.jpg

j784KNw.jpg

F9OXExd.jpg

I an definitely going to be in for this. As for what army... I don't know yet. I have started most over my twenty odd years in the hobby but have only really ever got a marine army done. Will post a proper commitment once I decide.

I also want to make a personal challenge to my mate Dos, that we will both compete an army together through this challenge. Then if I ever find myself on his side of the world we're could have a game.

Archived