Facing the Unknown - Starting a New army together

Trokair

I really like the smaller, more utilitarian/specialized fist, very Deathwatchy. But i think that, as it is now, the right arm is too long, and it unbalances the model. I would advocate for removing half the fore-arm and glue the fist a little higher up.

Amputating just before the vambrace with all the little buttons and gluing the fist there seems like a good bet.

Ok, I’ll think about it.

That said, the arm looks fine to me, so for the moment I rather not risk screwing up anything by cutting into it again.

Anybody else what to weigh in on the arm?

I really like the smaller, more utilitarian/specialized fist, very Deathwatchy. But i think that, as it is now, the right arm is too long, and it unbalances the model. I would advocate for removing half the fore-arm and glue the fist a little higher up.

Amputating just before the vambrace with all the little buttons and gluing the fist there seems like a good bet.

Ok, I’ll think about it.

That said, the arm looks fine to me, so for the moment I rather not risk screwing up anything by cutting into it again.

I have to agree with Mr.Badweed. Maybe it’s just the angles, but that right arm does look a bit long. I’d say that whole section where the hose plugs in could go, then shift the arm up and plug the hose back into the elbow pad, or tuck it into the shoulder pad. Just make sure that Xacto knife is fresh!

Enough umming and ahhing! I'm in

I, TrawlingCleaner, Vow to face the unknown and will learn about the Adeptus Astartes (Sons of Orar chapter) by the end of the year by working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will donate £25 to the B&C.

The idea with this army is to add things that fit with my narrative. I usually make armies with competitivness in mind with a little bit of what I think is cool mixed in. I have an idea of where I want to take them but I'm not 100% sure yet

Ok, I’ll think about it.

I have to agree with Mr.Badweed. Maybe it’s just the angles, but that right arm does look a bit long. I’d say that whole section where the hose plugs in could go, then shift the arm up and plug the hose back into the elbow pad, or tuck it into the shoulder pad. Just make sure that Xacto knife is fresh!
And I'll be the one to counter: I don't think it looks that good. It looks far too small for a Marine, especially the Primaris. Like, if my first thought for something on a Marine is 'dainty' and it's NOT a Slaaneshi/Emperor's Children Marine, there's an issue. :lol:

Anyone know if the Berserker kit is substantially smaller than a regular like, MKIV marine? I hear a lot of people dislike the kit, I am partial to it from the GW photos and kinda want to order a box or two for my Vanguard?

The Berzerker kit is as small as the generic Chaos Marine kit. Which is only marginally shorter than the Mark IV Marine kit. The bodies that is. Everything else is similarly sized (which says more about those old kits than anything else :lol:)

Some nice looking work going on here.

I've knocked a few test models out - I've shortlisted the following two

The 'finished' armless marine is Alclad candy red over gold --- it doesn't look too bad after a dullcote. I kind of forgot about these dudes. Writing it off as too shiny.

The other Chaos marine is tamiya clear red over silver - if you go gold it's way too orange!!

http://i68.tinypic.com/s45mat.jpg

My other Alclads were too dark or just looked off. What do you guys think?

Welcome Trawling Cleaner.

Anyone know if the Berserker kit is substantially smaller than a regular like, MKIV marine? I hear a lot of people dislike the kit, I am partial to it from the GW photos and kinda want to order a box or two for my Vanguard?

The Berzerker kit is as small as the generic Chaos Marine kit. Which is only marginally shorter than the Mark IV Marine kit. The bodies that is. Everything else is similarly sized (which says more about those old kits than anything else :laugh.:)

I have heard that the AoS Blood Warriors have been used for convert berserkers. So they may be worth looking at, even if only for parts. As for the actual Berserkerkit, that is ancient, somewhere in the region of 20 years now. It is not a bad kit, just really old.

Lord Commander Eidolom, I think I like the second red (the one without arms) more

The 'finished' armless marine is Alclad candy red over gold --- it doesn't look too bad after a dullcote. I kind of forgot about these dudes. Writing it off as too shiny.

The other Chaos marine is tamiya clear red over silver - if you go gold it's way too orange!! http://i68.tinypic.com/s45mat.jpg

It’s always going to be personal choice but the Mk iv Marine looks spot on I’d go with that one.

I have heard that the AoS Blood Warriors have been used for convert berserkers. So they may be worth looking at, even if only for parts. As for the actual Berserkerkit, that is ancient, somewhere in the region of 20 years now. It is not a bad kit, just really old.

The kit is as old as I am, as on the sprues it says "Games Workshop, 1994" on them. So the plastic kit is at least 24 years old

The kit is as old as I am, as on the sprues it says "Games Workshop, 1994" on them. So the plastic kit is at least 24 years old

I might go the minimum effort part, and put a holstered bolt pistol on them and a backpack.

The other Chaos marine is tamiya clear red over silver - if you go gold it's way too orange!!

http://i68.tinypic.com/s45mat.jpg

I’m really digging the mkIV gent on the left, that metallic red looks fantastic! The “orange” is cool, but I don’t know if I’m feeling that outside of a Slaanesh army personally

Thanks for the input gents - I must admit I am leaning towards the candy red Alclad (mkiv marine) more so than the tamiya red - I will do a little more experimenting - this is a very worn tester panel with tamiya clear red on the back, and clear red lacquer on the front -- I think shading it with the candy red will give me the results i am after.....

http://i67.tinypic.com/11jx92d.jpg

Anyway....

I, Eidolon, Vow to face the unknown and will assist the Red Sorcerers of Prospero, the Thousand Sons, develop towards perfection by the end of the year by working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable for they must outdo the Dogs of Russ being painted by Grieux, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will donate $25 to the B&C and paint 1 x Space Wolf vehicle......

As mentioned previously I want to use the plastic 40k Chaos Thousand Sons to represent Heresy Era Thousand Sons - so swapping the blue for the red! Being cheap (yeah right) I'd want to be able to use the army for both game systems, ala my 30/40k Death Guard. The restrictions on the Thousand Sons codex makes this a little tougher, but I am confident I can use the plastics combined with resin bits to make a charaterful force, even if I may need to use allied CSM detachments for fun things like havocs, raptors etc....

My plan is to have 1 10 man (veteran) tactical squad/rubrics and 1 5 man tactical support squad/rubric special weapons. I will then convert up a 'fellowship' Captain from the novel 'A Thousand Sons' - most likely Hathor Maat, but i'll see how tackle this once the infantry is done. That should be enough for the detachment.

I then plan to paint up my birthday gift of Daemon Magnus - which will likely be an 'emergency vow' with the remainder of the army being some Occult terminators, a dreadnought (or two) and hopefully an 'assault' squad based on the CCG Heresy artwork and as a special treat a Xiphon based on the art in the Inferno book. Then if there is time I want to go crazy with some 'flesh change' conversions/possessed!!

Glad you could commit Lord Commander Eidolon. Looking forward to seeing how red Rubrics will look. I can imagine it but I am sure reality, especially with your skill, will be far more impressive. Also interested to see what you do with Magnus.

Now Im trying to figure out what to use the new mini imperial knights from AT as.

If they are indeed Terminator sized then I may experiment with them as that. I am really looking forward to the Warhound and Reaver, as I am hoping one of them will be roughly in the right scale to be converted into dreadnoughts.

Really, that is a bit older then even I recalled, I vaguely placed them in the 1996/97 time frame from memory, I must be getting old.

Progress update:

I acquired two Reivers from a store bits box some time ago, so to supplement them I picked up the easy to build box so that I now have 5. I am not a fan of helmetless heads on marine so for the easy to build I swapped out the head (and the sword for fun) from the upgrade kit. I have not yet, but am inclined to file away the power lines on the sword so that is more closely resembles a Reiver combat knife.

gallery_29932_13153_66823.jpg

Progress update:

I acquired two Reivers from a store bits box some time ago, so to supplement them I picked up the easy to build box so that I now have 5. I am not a fan of helmetless heads on marine so for the easy to build I swapped out the head (and the sword for fun) from the upgrade kit. I have not yet, but am inclined to file away the power lines on the sword so that is more closely resembles a Reiver combat knife.

Nice progress ! How do these guys work in a Deathwatch Force ? You add them to a Kill team correct and they give perks to the whole squad correct ? Do you plan on "chapterizing" your guys ? Add the odd space wolf or dark angel kit with a Deathwatch shoulder pad to spice up your units ? or are you going for a " re-kitted" force with new arms and armor given to them upon entrance in the DW ?

Nice progress ! How do these guys work in a Deathwatch Force ? You add them to a Kill team correct and they give perks to the whole squad correct ? Do you plan on "chapterizing" your guys ? Add the odd space wolf or dark angel kit with a Deathwatch shoulder pad to spice up your units ? or are you going for a " re-kitted" force with new arms and armor given to them upon entrance in the DW ?

You start with 5 Intercessors and then can ad 1 – 5 of any of the other Primaris up to a total squad size of 10. Some give abilities to the whole squads, while Hellblasters just bring PLASMA!!! You can also field all of the Primaris os their own unit just as with any other marine army.

I was not intending to chapterizing them, though that would be cool.

As I am focusing on Primaris I am taking the Ultimaris Decree to its logical extreme. That is to say Primaris ‘chapters’ that were never assigned a traditional chapter or formed into a new chapter but sent straight to the Deathwatch. These forces were assigned with the full resources of what would have been a chapter, which in my mind includes means to recruit and upgrade more marines. So while the Deathwatch as a whole will still take recruits from many chapter and operate as we know it in my fluff this particular Watch Fortress now operate more like a Chapter then a Watch Fortress in the traditional sense.

It has been two or so centuries in 40k lore between the first Primaris and now (whenever now is as they have been so scant on details of the events since the rift) So the later generation of Primaris have formed their culture and tradition devoted to the Deathwatch rather than a traditional chapter or legion or Primarch, as such the only iconography on these are going to Deathwatch related.

It also means I don’t have to find several dozen chapter shoulder pads / transfers / freehand different insignia.

If I ever expand into normal marines then those will be the traditional Deathwatch and drawn from many chapters with all the variation that comes with that.

Update: I've finished assembling the Deathwatch Veterans, Venerable Dreadnought and Captain Artemis

And the weather is now conducive to priming.... But of course when it's not hot and humid, it is raining :lol:

Alright, did a stock check and this might be doable.

I, Focslain, Vow to face the unknown and will learn and build an Ad mech force by the end of the year by working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will build, paint and donate an Industerial Terrain kit to my FLGS, chosen by the forum (please keep to under $75 guys).

Personal Limitor: I'm only going to have three squads of rangers. After that all units minus HQs most be of the robot or fortification type. Also I have to build/paint at least one forge shrine.

End Goal: Have a 2K themed army that is a repair bay guard.

Archived