Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

Both arguments have merit about how we should feel about having to wait. We did get a bunch of interesting stuff at the end of 7th edition: rules and wulfen. That didn't last too long though. It feels although I've been sitting out the entire 8th edition though. To be motivated to hobby I need motivation. And waiting on the codex has been a detriment to that.

We don't have too much longer to wait though! (hopefully)

How have you guys integrated primaris into your forces? I really like the models but I don't think I can stomach the old-marines with the primaris marines. Have there been certain units you have found to be more useful than the marines they'd be replacing?

I got a redemptor painted and a box of aggressors i need to assemble. I also did a conversion of Krom into Primaris scale that I'm really attatched to

I really wabt to add some reivers toom

I think dispaly wise, normal power armour marines in front and primaris in the back, next to terminators and stuff.

I bought aggressors, inceptors, and hellblasters, as I felt each of these gave us solutions to weaknesses in our index: mainly lots of shots. We can hit hard with our long fangs, but we just don't have the output with our non-primaris models to make a dent into most opponents. Boltguns are weak in 8e, where units can achieve the dreaded T5, making most of wounds ineffective. Non-space marine armies have plenty of S5+ weaponry, often with enough shots to be very effective at crippling elite armies. Elite armies do ok when going first, but suffer much worse when going second than non-elite armies. I hope GW can figure out how to better balance the different army styles out there.

How have you guys integrated primaris into your forces? I really like the models but I don't think I can stomach the old-marines with the primaris marines. Have there been certain units you have found to be more useful than the marines they'd be replacing?

So far I have just added a squad of Hellblasters. I frequently run Bjorn (or a WL in TDA for smaller battles) so these guys are great for keeping in his bubble aura and overcharging for maximum firepower.

I like my Grey Hunters and I haven't felt yet that Intercessors offer enough for their +5ppm to be worth supplimenting them yet. I haven't added any Inceptors to my Wolves but they work very well in my BA army so I would consider them too. I find my AC Razorbacks tend to fill a same role though as they provide plenty of dakka and mobility while also carrying Grey Hunters where they need to be.

Aggressors are an odd unit and I haven't quite got my head around them yet. They are short-ranged so need to move up but they want to stand still and maximimse their firepower. :sad.: They are good in a Ravenguard army for the pre-battle deployment but I am not sure how well they work with wolves.

I'm only spit balling here.

Strats:

1 cp advance and charge

2 cp "Mark of the wulfen"  "before the battle pick a character, when that character is slain it may shoot as if it were the shooting phase, or fight as if it were the fight phase".

2 cp "relics of the great company" "You may take an extra relic"

1 cp "Inexorable advance" "any vehicle with the SPACE WOLF key word may move and shoot without the penalty to heavy weapons"

Or something like that. All fits the fluff IMO... 

Not sure about tactics, I have a feeling we're going to get separate great company tactics and a token strat for all. That would be my guess, as to my knowledge all books have 6-8 different houses/dynasties/planets/chapters etc etc. Maybe thousand sons and DG didn't have that? not sure.

2 cp "Mark of the wulfen"  "before the battle pick a character, when that character is slain it may shoot as if it were the shooting phase, or fight as if it were the fight phase".

Other Chapters have a 2CP strat "Only in Death does Duty end". The advantage of which is that you only have to spend the CPs when you actually use it. I expect "Mark of the Wulfen" will be 1CP and will work in a similar way to BA's "Death Visions of Sanguinius".

Most other armies have a 1CP/3CP strat depending on how many Relics you want.

1 cp "Inexorable advance" "any vehicle with the SPACE WOLF key word may move and shoot without the penalty to heavy weapons"

Not bad but it doesn't strike me as particularly Wolfy.

Most other armies have 1 or 2 strats for their signature units. I would not be surprised to see a couple that are specific to Wulfen and TWC.

Other Chapters have a 2CP strat "Only in Death does Duty end". The advantage of which is that you only have to spend the CPs when you actually use it. I expect "Mark of the Wulfen" will be 1CP and will work in a similar way to BA's "Death Visions of Sanguinius".

Most other armies have a 1CP/3CP strat depending on how many Relics you want.

Not bad but it doesn't strike me as particularly Wolfy.

Most other armies have 1 or 2 strats for their signature units. I would not be surprised to see a couple that are specific to Wulfen and TWC.

I'm interested in what's gong to come out strat wise. I think a certain amount will be cookie cutter though.

As to the last vehicle strat I made up, was thinking of Egil Ironwolf's great company with that one. Also plays into our mid table game a bit... But your right, it's not particularly wolfy really. Looks like a guard strat. 

god, this wait is tough. -.-

Well do you want the good ol' "my local store manager said...." story?

I doubt we will see anything at Warhammer fest, just my personal hunch. GW has something planned, not for the wolves alone but for Primaris. It is time for act 2 of the Primaris story progression and what better way than the least codex compliant chapter.

The only rumor I can spread is a "my store owner said...." That wolves would be early September and I would be better off saving my money instead of getting a knight. However he doesn't have a great track record of being right. So what do people think of October?

Every Time i see this Thread i remember an Song back from the ninties.

Sidney youngblood with sit and wait

The chorus was

All we can do is sit and wait

Quoting songs!!! nice!!!

"Satellites transmit the lastest thril

we can't scape the Media Overkill"

Guest Triszin

god, this wait is tough. -.-

Well do you want the good ol' "my local store manager said...." story?

I doubt we will see anything at Warhammer fest, just my personal hunch. GW has something planned, not for the wolves alone but for Primaris. It is time for act 2 of the Primaris story progression and what better way than the least codex compliant chapter.

The only rumor I can spread is a "my store owner said...." That wolves would be early September and I would be better off saving my money instead of getting a knight. However he doesn't have a great track record of being right. So what do people think of October?

if

a big IF

if we get russ, I expect a gathering the storm style 2.0 campiagn, that will

have lore on what Magnus and Mortarian are doing, Fulgrim and his recent occursions, and BEAST ork Ghaz and his sixtuplet actions.

how strained Gulliman is, he can't leave to lead the fight as he must do the logistics for the imperium so it doesnt fall apart and even then, its looking grim as guillimans actions are essentially stalling actions.

- Russ is introduced, leads teh wolves and assits other like minded chapters (space sharks) and goes after the biggest spear heads to either blunt them or destroy them, easing the pain on gulliman.

I kinda hope we get it

- New primaris units are introduced through Russ and wolves. 90% of them become available for every chapter.

-10% of them are unique to the wolves

I was at Nottingham the other day and jokingly asked if they’d do for space wolves what they did with the GSC...I got a deadpan stars and a “what makes you think you’re getting new models?”

So you know salt levels rising? :p

FLGS owner asked his GW rep about what to do about SW players asking about codex/new models. GW rep said to tell us to save our money. No other details.

I'm torn between fully giving in to the RUSS IS COMING BACK BROTHERS!!! inner wolf pup in me but the cynical old wolf that is the rest of me keeps saying "until next winter, brothers..."

*starts hearing strange noise*

all we can do is sit and wait

all we can do is sit and wait they say

We could sit and wait, or and stay with me on this, OR we could storm GW HQ and pillage their wareshouses and torture their leaders for the information we seek. I think as SW's you know there is really only one option.

FLGS owner asked his GW rep about what to do about SW players asking about codex/new models. GW rep said to tell us to save our money. No other details.

Save our money? Does that mean the codex will be a damp squib? :sad.:

I guess he meant to save the money for the amount of new model which are part of the codex release. ;)

Archived