Lord Uglor Does Gryphonicus

Lord Uglor

Hello, all!  It's been a few days since I've posted anything, though I've not been idle.  I haven't been painting or building any models.  I had preordered the new Warlord and the Lancers, but yet again, GW mysteriously 'late shipped' the product to my FLGS, so I came away with nothing.

What have I been working on, you might ask?  3D designs.  I have been working on many different designs, mostly taking the old AT88 weapons and making them larger for my eventual Beetle Back conversion.  I also made a mounting frame for a 28mm Mars Beta head and shields I have coming for me, based off of pics I found of the Warlords neck.  I had a model designed on the old Macro cannon, which I was going to use as a Quake cannon too.  With the release of the Nemesis titan, and their Quake cannon also based on the old Macro cannon, I've taken mine back to the drawing boards.  

Today, I'm going to share with you where I am with the old Plasma Cannon.  Same basic shape, only starting to detail it so far, but I've made an attempt to 'update it' a little.  I've modelled the ubiquitous plasma flask to the design as an attempt to bring the design forward. By no means is this done, but just a wip.  Let me know what you think.d4378538-3522-4809-877b-b9ef7442027a-ori

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, all!  It's been a while, but I have not been idle.  Over the past few weeks, I've been doing some painting and a little modeling.  I have also started down the path of getting a Warbginger Nemesis Titan.  So far I have the head, and a laser blaster arm...I know, a bit underwhelming, but a start.

I must say, I hadn't seen myself getting any of the new Lancers, I didn't think I wanted more of the smaller models.  That was until I saw the ones my son was building, then I had to get a box.  Very nice little kit, I can't wait for the extra weapons to make the other Cerastus variants. I have no names for them, but I hope you like them.

a244eaf0-6711-45aa-a0cf-19361c40200d-ori

360acba9-19c1-4570-898b-2a57fedf0bce-ori

Finishing these two put a little bit of a spark under my butt, and so I finished my second banner of Questoris Knights that had been languishing on my painting desk in a very incomplete state.  The keen-eyed among you will notice that the Knight on the right is missing his stubber.  I have no idea when it popped off, but it is lost to the warp until such time that I can fashion a replacement.

1b4402ae-09cb-42ee-8810-391261ddddad-ori

Lastly, I got the new Warlord kit.  I only wanted three things out of the box, mainly the 2 new heads and the Fist.  I then gave the left over bits to my son so he could have a 3rd Warlord for his Mortis.  So far I've only painted the fist up, and show it to you here on the Warlord Insertus Namus, the one I plan using it on.

19d03c08-01ac-4a99-863d-0fb89921b1bc-ori

This is all that I have to show off at the moment.  Over the Christmas break I'm hoping to get my third Reaver finished, and my fourth Warhound, as well as getting some paint on my Civitas buildings.

As usual, let me know what you think.

all looking great as usual, only gripe I feel like making is that the hazzard stripes on the fist seem off to me(not in the sense of them being uneven or anything, on that matter you've done vary well it seems), but I can't quite tell why exactly; maybe the thickness of the lines compared to the small space they're covering? or maybe the angle relative to the edges of the armor panels? or it might just be the shininess it seems to have in that particular photo...

anyway, is your son posting images of his Legio Mortis titans anywhere? if not is there a chance you might post some here(maybe as part of discussing a bat-rep)?

@ RipOffProductions- It could be one of two things.  The yellow I used is different, as I wanted to differentiate it from the main yellow I use for the titan.  As well, and it may just not be coming through with the pic at this angle, is that I have weathered it a bit with a much brighter silver to represent fresh bare metal from constantly being used yo cash traitor scum. Maybe I'll take some better pic of just the fist.  As for my son's work, he has not posted anything as of yet.  He can be somewhat critical of his own painting and at times very reticent to show his work.  As far as I'm concerned, he paints way better than I did at his age (he's 16).  I will perhaps try to convince him to post things, or allow me to.

@ Fajita Fan - It's the other way round, actually.  I got him into it.  I've been into 40K for 30 so years now.  I too could never get my dad into the game, even though he is a sci-fi nut, because he was always working, and now that he is mostly retired, I live 2500 miles away from him..

@ Chaeron - Thanks a lot!

@ Mendi Warrior - Thank you very much!

My son has given me permission to post pics of his first completed Warlord.  He hasn't thought of a name for it yet.  He hasn't magnetized this one, he seems to have no interest in the extra time required.

5c1caef1-3536-4917-905b-27467dc7647b-ori

a6cd6ba8-4000-4f41-8d6a-03d4e9417c6e-ori

60f5377f-2fac-4116-9d61-2b4bebc7ae52-ori

42189182-49ae-4150-8706-9d6fbab94d00-ori

I'm very proud of his painting.  He can plow though his minis at a very quick pace, certainly faster then myself.  He enjoys the painting aspect whereas I detest it.

I am currently working on my Beetleback Warlord.  I've made new feet for it so far, and have cut down the void shield structures on the shoulders.  The carapace is going to be the big issue, and the thing that will take the longest to finish.  At this rate, I think that it will be a one off.  I'm still playing around with Fusion 360 in hopes of learning enough so as to be able to 3D model the armour plate replacements I want to do, but it is such a learning curve.  Keeps me occupied!

Your son has done great work! Everything from the base to the stripes on the leg - it's spot on! Now what he need to add is some decals and he's good to go! :tu:

Your Warlord also looks amazing! there is a very... threatening quality to his pose! What have you done to the head though? is it an amalgam of the 40k Knight head and an AT top head? It looks very unique!

And all those Knights, man you really have been busy! I think it's time to take a family photo of your Gryphonicus.

Also, why not have your son join the B&C with an account of his now - I think he'll enjoy it here. :)

@ Captain Semper - My son thanks you for the kind words.  Decals are up next for him and we have the Legio Mortis ones on hand.  Thanks also for the kind words on mine.  Yes the head is one of the regular warlord heads beefed out with the faceplate of one of the 40k knights.  I wanted a more close combat oriented looking head to go with the fist.  I'll post a family shot in the next couple of days.

Now, what I have been working on.  As many of you know, I want to redesign the current Warlord titan to more closely resemble the original AT88 plastic titans.  This is quite a task so far.  I am using 3D modeling to create replacement parts.  I have what I consider a good start, building from the ground up.  I started with the feet, and continued with the shins.  I have tried to used as much of the original plastic frame as I can.  No too hard where the legs are considered.  With the upper body I've had to cut off the shoulder powerplants and reduce the height.  I'm still doing a lot of the work on this area, and am coming to the conclusion that with my limited modeling ability, I may not be able to achieve what I first envisioned.  But I digress.  

I have, for all intents and purposes, finished the lower half so far.  Let there be pics!

cf117c35-33d3-45cd-8a03-e540374eb90b-ori

79f96cb2-cc1f-4d28-98c1-ce8ec8b0fee5-ori

baeb868a-cb0b-43d8-9e85-ad10dddff643-ori

I had originally wanted to do an exact copy, but during the course of looking at parts and the original model, I've opted for a more hit the bold stokes approach to this.  I had attempted a replacement thigh assembly, but after 4 different attempts and prints, opted just for a small plate to cover up the hole in the thigh.  Please let me know what you think of my progress in this regard.

yeah, the classic AT titans are just so different from their modern reincarnations that trying to remake them is beyond a mere conversion job(not to mention looking out of place on the tabletop next to said modern versions), so an in-between compromise is a good option, and looking really nice so far.

though the bit filling in the gap where the thigh armor used to go could use some work(or maybe just a different paint job? it sticks out a bit to much right now and draws attention to itself when it really shouldn't)

Great work from both you and your son. Love his Mortis Warlord. Love your first steps on the beetleback.

am coming to the conclusion that with my limited modeling ability, I may not be able to achieve what I first envisioned.  But I digress.

Your modeling ability will improve with time and practice. Keep the faith!

@ Fajita Fan - Thanks!  The toes being of different lengths front to back and 45 degrees off center are one of the biggest things that I liked about the original models.

@ RipOffProductions - Thanks!  The little thigh part doesn't look that jarring in real life, but I might darken it.

@ Mendi Warrior - Thanks!  3D modeling is just such a different animal to physical methods.  My biggest issues is in the time it takes to test out my printed parts, realizing that the scale or size is off, then going back to the drawing board.  What would take me a few minutes or so doing it practically expands to potentially hours in 3D.  Can't beat that precision though!

I don't have a lot else today, but I did promise a family shot.  I have placed in some things that I've started painting, but not my final Warhound because that is still in the construction phase getting its legs worked on.

656d68aa-f75b-4e86-8932-4a06bf5405df-ori

I have also discovered the Hobby Titan site.  Great site, and because I thought of a different method to do my Beetle Back, and I still wanted to finish the current attempt, I ordered another Warlord torso for $15.  A total steal if you ask me.  

@ Mendi Warrior - Thanks!  The legs plates took me about an hour to design.  These however are not indicative of the 3D process that I've endured so far.  With the leg plates I was able to make vey precise measurements from the existing leg plate.  Since it was just a replacement art, and not a brand new never before made part, it was a whole lot easier.  Once I printed it (about half an hour) a quick check for fit and a moments consideration of its appropriateness, and I printed the second one.  If you look at the Beetleback Warlord in the back right of the group shot above, you'll see what appears to be a brown rounded piece.  This has taken me close to 20 hours of modeling and printing and gone through 6 or so iterations to get to where I'm happy.  It is also a 3D print, filled, sanded and primed.  It is not done yet, even now, but I'll be modeling practically onto it to finish the job.  The next thing I want is a 3D scanner.  This way I'll be able to scan in the part I wish to model a part to, and be able to check it's fit and proportions within the 3D environment.  That's a ways off though.

@ Fajita Fan - Chin up!  We've all felt that way at some point or another.  That's currently how I feel about my scenery progress :biggrin.:

I don't have a lot else today, but I did promise a family shot.  I have placed in some things that I've started painting, but not my final Warhound because that is still in the construction phase getting its legs worked on.

656d68aa-f75b-4e86-8932-4a06bf5405df-ori

And what a family shot it is Uglor! You and your son have been producing some excellent stuff - inspirational.

*sigh* everyone makes more progress.

I always like to remember that even if I'm not building/painting, this is part of hobbying: you get to see what others are doing, get some ideas, and you are preparing for when you next pick up the brush etc. - that, in itself, is progress!

@ Chaeron - Thanks, and I shall pass it on to my son!

Just a quick post, Fajita Fan's lamentation on his progress has spurred me to action in the area where I have been lacking, namely scenery.

I must say, I am quite a fan of AT18s scenery kits, with one caveat.  Its very expensive to purxhase enough kits to make line of sight blocking buildings for the Reaver and Warlord.  AT88 had perfect sized building for the Warlords that came with it.  Not a big deal, and It just means I might try my hand at making large walls that I can supplement the kits with using my 3D printer.  Without further adieu, my first completed AT18 terrain piece!

6576faad-88df-4581-860b-bef3596ba1da-ori

b0cfdd29-d570-4a67-9c31-7941e8c2c068-ori

Nothing spectacular, just a basic grey with metal accents, washed and drybrushed.  I'm not looking to win an award or anything, just get some colour on the plastic.  Comments are welcome!

yeah, 3D printing the terrian is what I plan on doing personally, lets you have more variety to them anyway, and it has the added bonus of allowing me to make ruined versions of the same building(in stages even if I wanted) if I ever want to play with advanced/extra rules for colateral damage.

plus buying the Titans themselves already takes such a big bite out of my hobby budget as it is.