Corax by Haley

Taliesin

I’ve bought it, it’s still in the warp but it will probably be a while before I get round to reading it. My enthusiasm for the series has somewhat waned as the last few have been pretty awful. The last good one was the Khan. But stupidily I bought into the limited ed series and am stuck there. Haley’s usually pretty good so I’ve high hopes for this, Corax is a great character

I’ve bought it, it’s still in the warp but it will probably be a while before I get round to reading it. My enthusiasm for the series has somewhat waned as the last few have been pretty awful. The last good one was the Khan. But stupidily I bought into the limited ed series and am stuck there. Haley’s usually pretty good so I’ve high hopes for this, Corax is a great character

*checks the release schedule*

Well, Vulkan's the only one between Khan and Corax, so that ain't so bad.

Haley's decent enough, but if Perturabo's any indication this one should have more than a few flashes of brilliance. I'm just glad he bought into the premise of different authors tackling the primarchs than usual; for all his brilliance I would have preferred to see Wraight apply his skills to primarchs he's not written before, his Lion was the best part of Russ. Gav had some neat ideas, but considering how tight he likes his continuity I'm glad Haley got a chance to write Corax in a more "normal" scenario.

*checks the release schedule*

Well, Vulkan's the only one between Khan and Corax, so that ain't so bad.

Haley's decent enough, but if Perturabo's any indication this one should have more than a few flashes of brilliance. I'm just glad he bought into the premise of different authors tackling the primarchs than usual; for all his brilliance I would have preferred to see Wraight apply his skills to primarchs he's not written before, his Lion was the best part of Russ. Gav had some neat ideas, but considering how tight he likes his continuity I'm glad Haley got a chance to write Corax in a more "normal" scenario.

Haha, your right. It’s been vulkan and ferrus I suppose that’s given me a bad taste. I thought Khan was before these.

Surely Gav will get the Lion? I want some secrets revealed on that one.

Please let someone else tackle Lion...no more Thorpe. How about ADB?

Seconded. Or Haley, Wraight, French, Abnett,.. somebody who can take a fresh look at the Lion.

I read somewhere a while back that one of the guidelines BL had for this series was that a given Primarch would ideally be written by an author not usually associated with that particular character. That idea hasn't been strictly followed, with mixed results - Wraight still did brilliantly with the Khan, while Magnus really could've used a fresh author (IMHO) - but Haley / Perturabo, Reynolds / Fulgrim and Thorpe / Lorgar all proved to be good combos.

Please let someone else tackle Lion...no more Thorpe. How about ADB?

Seconded. Or Haley, Wraight, French, Abnett,.. somebody who can take a fresh look at the Lion.

I read somewhere a while back that one of the guidelines BL had for this series was that a given Primarch would ideally be written by an author not usually associated with that particular character. That idea hasn't been strictly followed, with mixed results - Wraight still did brilliantly with the Khan, while Magnus really could've used a fresh author (IMHO) - but Haley / Perturabo, Reynolds / Fulgrim and Thorpe / Lorgar all proved to be good combos.

At a recent seminar, someone in attendance reported that James Swallow said he's doing the Sanguinius one. Pattern not followed there, I guess.

In the Emperor's name...I was hoping for anyone other than James Swallow

I’m with you here. Guy Haley has done such an amazing job with Dante I would have loved to see him have a go at the BAs primarch. It would have been a perfect opportunity to tie in much of the BA background we have seen emerge from his Dante books back to the primarch. Real pitty, opportunity wasted imo.

I was hoping Wraight mostly

What we need to do is figure out how to get the criminal underworld to pay for a series of cloning vats so we can get multiple Chris Wraights...speed up the process there...

Thus was the tragedy of Apothecary Vaddon, so eager was he to clone a fresh force of Chris Wraights, who could write faster and more consistently than the original, that he made only a legion of monsters, writing bloated and malformed narratives. They say his final act was to destroy each of their first drafts personally. Before disappearing into the Eye of Terror, the final word to leave his lips was simply: "Nevermore."

I was hoping Wraight mostly

What we need to do is figure out how to get the criminal underworld to pay for a series of cloning vats so we can get multiple Chris Wraights...speed up the process there...

Thus was the tragedy of Apothecary Vaddon, so eager was he to clone a fresh force of Chris Wraights, who could write faster and more consistently than the original, that he made only a legion of monsters, writing bloated and malformed narratives. They say his final act was to destroy each of their first drafts personally. Before disappearing into the Eye of Terror, the final word to leave his lips was simply: "Nevermore."

Fabius Bile origin story

I liked it; there is an awful lot going on in it, and several really good POV characters.

Until the last chapter it felt like a much longer book than it actually was, as seems to happen pretty often the ending felt a little rushed.

So many of the Primarchs have complicated relationships with their homeworlds, and this one goes some way into exploring Corax’s. I think this is what this series does best- I hope that the books for the Lion, Mortarion and Curze take similar approaches.

In terms of page count, how many does this one feature?

More like Perturabo / Lorgar or more like Guiliman, Russ?

Seems like this will be a one, I'll pick up.

In terms of page count, how many does this one feature?

More like Perturabo / Lorgar or more like Guiliman, Russ?

Seems like this will be a one, I'll pick up.

According to BL & Amazon it's got a 224 page count, so bang on the same length as Vulkan, Jaghatai, Ferrus, Fulgrim & Pertie.

Started this today, the opening chapter at the party is superb. That’s the way Coraxs people should be potrayed. Authors have never utilised the Ravens special forces vengeance thing. Hopefully that vibe keeps up for the rest of the book.

Haley’s ability to knock out quality and quantity without it being overly formulated is amazing.

Raven Guard are like Night Lords who rely more on discipline than on terrorising mortals...really wanna see the RG shine in the hands of another authour (i.e. not Thorpe). Looks like wish granted

That's not really true. Raven guard are all about asymmetrical warfare to bring about victory. All the sneaky sneaks is just to win and bring liberation or compliance. Night Lords use terror and impact to bring about victory. All the butchering and over the top torture is the criminology concept of general deterrence on a planetary or system wide scale. Stealth isnt about not being seen for them, but to create suspense up until the big reveal. Like a slasher film

Raven Guard are like Night Lords who rely more on discipline than on terrorising mortals...really wanna see the RG shine in the hands of another authour (i.e. not Thorpe). Looks like wish granted

Guy briefly deals with the similarities in the book. I think he gets the relationship between the two legions really well and along similar lines to what I think you are saying.

Archived