Corax by Haley

Taliesin

Well the excerpt on the BL site seems to have the book centred around the Carinae Retribution, which is an exemplary battle from the Raven Guard's section in HH Extermination. 

I guess others with the book can give a more accurate answer anyway.

I’m not great at reviews but in (a poor summary) it’s split across two stories one dealing with the Cariane compliance and a smaller story arc looking back to Coraxs homeworld. Both stories examine the conflicts Corax has with his loyalty to the crusade and his historical emotional baggage, his desire to see mankind free from tyranny but brought under the imperial system, sometimes forcibly and sometimes (as it could be seen) deceptively. It looks at his failings and weaknesses. The compromises Corax has to make in order to find a balance, or compromises he refuses to make that expose him.

The combat is really cool, and I am not a Dakka fan by any stretch. The raven guards approach to combat is presented really well, something I would love to see played with again.

I loved this book (in case you haven’t noticed). It gave insight into a primarch, it looked back to his roots and shows us the complex character he became because of them.

The book shows how these primarch books should be approached. We have had a few horribly lazy books that have basically just showed us a big man doing lots of fighting. Most have been pretty good though, for me the origin stories have shone. But with Corax the origin had been dealt with and this shows alternate stories can work when approached thoughtfully.

I have no idea how Haley does it. The volume of books he churns out he should be the formulaic dull writer, but he’s far far from that. Wonderful stuff.

Archived