So I went back to 7th edition.

TheUbikator

templates and facings, the game mechanisms of the gods

And that's why I'm an atheist!* -cheeky thumbs up grin- 

Nah, lots of 7E stuff I... appreciate, best word for it.  I love the ideas of templates, of facings, but it got to be worn and tired when we had a few members of our gaming group like me who just makes up and moves units so it looks cool and we get a fun game out of it, and then the 'other' group who had to have exact 1.9" spacings, invisiballs, modeled for advantage, formation of the month club, the whole 9 yards.  And, no matter how 'quick' y'wanna call templates, rapid firing a seeker squad's worth of Tempest Bolts is not a short affair (feels like it needs a commercial break, honestly).  

Age of Darkness fixes a lot of stuff.. It's still a legitimately fun game, but I sure won't say that I dislike a lot of the changes that 8E makes.  7E and certain player types that really populated the local scene put a real damper on my recollection of it.   On the other hand, aaaaaah 3E, I'd still throw down a game of that. 

But, y'know, you do you, mates.  Good on ya whatever the case. 

*Maybe I am, maybe I'm not.

I like facings just fine in theory. The problem with them is the inconsistency. Half of the weapons on vehicles didn't even say which mounting type they were. Was that weapon pintle, hull or turret mounted? GW just didn't include that info for many of the weapons. And if facing matters for a Land speeder, why doesn't it for an attack bike? Is a Tyranid Carnifex really more agile than a DEldar Venom? I said this back when 8th first started but I think facing really needs to matter on everything, like Infinity, or nothing, like 8th edition. All the hybrid of 6th and 7th accomplished was making vehicles even more worthless.

templates and facings, the game mechanisms of the gods

Because only gods were able to properly tell which facing gets hit with non-imperial vehicles and only gods were able to tell how many models get hit by templates without having even just the slightest argument? :P

Its almost like 8th ed sucks!

It does.

That said, 7th had a SLEW of issues caused by A) Formations and B) Codex creep. As a base rule set it was great. 30 Proves that IMO.

And for the mass reply of "But templates and LOS caused arguments that derailed games!" I ask you this. Who the :cuss are you playing with that is that immature?

It's time to end this discussion. In many ways, as the above post illustrates, the topic has been used as a medium for bashing 8th edition. The topic started that way, with a narrow view of how one player found 7th edition to be "better" [than 8th edition]. If there was ever any potential for constructive discussion in this topic, it was exhausted long ago; and far too many replies are not constructive in nature.

The fact is, while related to each other, each edition is distinct. No game system can ever cater to all players, and no game system is ever without its flaws.

Many players enjoy 8th edition. Other players, meanwhile, enjoy one of the previous editions. We can all get along despite our different views of each of the editions.

Archived