Seige of Terra series news

People used to think the Horus Heresy couldn't justify a big sprawling series. After all, it was just Istvaan III and V followed by a mad dash for Terra and the Siege.

Look where we are now.

I think The Scouring would function just fine as a series of its own. Perhaps not quite as huge as the HH, but still substantial

I just hope we get a novel dealing with the Iron Cage. I have said this before, but Dorn's character arc post the Horus Heresy as laid out in the old Index Astartes article is just fascinating.

It has a very religious vibe to it.

Consumed by hatred and vengeance and blindingly so.

Tension with Guilliman and the Imperium. Remember the legions were gearing up for another war. The Navy fires on the Imperial Fists! I'd love to explore that.

Revelation. Meditation in the pain glove. Vision from the Emperor. Emperor worship at this point? Juicy and exciting.

Salvation. Iron Cage... A slaughter house... But a Pain Glove in itself for the IF legion. Atonement, punishment, rebirth. Post this they are born again hard in the glory of the Emperor on the throne. Pain their communion. Sacrifice their prayer to God. Praise be.

This whole story is a religious conversion. Would it not be crazy if after Rob buys the farm (for the most part) that Dorn is the one who institutes the whole Emperor worship thing? What a fall for the Emperor's most loyal son.

I'd love to see a short Scouring series, but IMO anything more than 5/6 books would be overkill. Enough material to fill a couple of anthology volumes I guess.

It would be interesting to see Guilliman and Dorn's struggles to hold the Imperium together played out, as well as their rivalry. Guilliman, as the only extant loyalist Primarch in 40k, deserves a big role in any series IMO.

Equally, a treatment of traitos as ABD has done in his Black Legion series (and John French in the Ahriman books) would be interesting as well.

I'd love Tales of the Scouring, Tales of the Crusade, Tales of Unification, Tales of Strife, etc.

It'd be like Warhammer 40,000: Tales (similar to Star Wars: Tales)

Just a sandbox in which authours can get really creative.

It could even be framed as only partially canon (like tales based on top-level Inquisition archives)

I am wondering what role Bile will play in all this drama .

Fabulous Bill would likely be caught up in all that cloning drama we saw in Talon of Horus. 

Here's another vote for the tale of Caliban needing  to be told. It's a shame there are a handful of the iconic old stories fall outside of the HH umbrella. 

I really want BL to flesh out the full 10k years worth of timeline (not completely, I do not need every single fluff entry to be written out in detail but...some are just begging for a story or two to be told).

This debate about The Scouring (M31)... Well even the 8th edition rule book seems to see it as an era rather than a single story. It is there alongside The Forging (M32-34), The Nova Terra Interregnum (M35-36), The Age of Apostasy (M36), The Age of Redemption (M37-41), The Waning (M41).

All of these are multi-century spanning eras that are ripe for creating "setting series". These do not require sequential stories to be told but (sorry) provide a sandbox for authors to jump in and tell any stories without needing them to be roughly chronological (as with the HH - I said "roughly").

I know some people might rail against this and say "well 40k books have always been able to tell stories told at any point in the timeline" but Personally I would like to see them labelled as distinct from W40k (but clearly with that sub branding as is present in HH books).

It would mean that previously released books like Battle of the Fang would have been labelled (if not branded) differently. Multi-era spanning series like (if it continues) ADB Black Legion would therefore get labels identifying which era each book falls into (I bet ADB will hate that).

It also means that specific stories such as The Badab War would be approached in similar way to TBA as a "sequential series" rather than a setting.

I know folks will have sensible and clever counter arguments. There is the whole "timeline is not reliable and full of misinformation etc so that the lore can be kept a little bit loose/free to avoid tight cannon conflict etc". However, I am not suggesting putting exact dates in the books (though personally the OCD me would like that) but an era spanning multi-centuries would still leave plenty of room to play but anchors the stories together.

So specifically on The Scouring - for me it is about the era and all the events that take place during that era that I am interested in and want rather than just the specific stories about the actual "Scouring" with the traitor legions harried into the Eye of Terror etc. As others have said, founding of the Inquisition, the Grey Knights, splitting of the Imperial Army, conflict/argument over Codex Astartes, the Legion Wars in the Eye (yes some tales have been told, we can have more though right?) etc

Maybe "The Scouring" is the wrong name because it also relates to specific events following the HH but that is the label given to the M31 era post HH in rule books.

And back to my original post which helped inform this discussion... I asked if people thought we would get "The Horus Heresy - The Scouring". I suspect if we do then that is a marketing decision by BL based on awareness of the HH brand and keeping it distinct from the rest of W40k. It makes sense but personally I would have only wanted HH to be the brand for the actual stories set during the HH but that creates a branding nightmare for the marketing team!

Edited by DukeLeto69

I kind of like what DukeLeto says above, but would perhaps like it to be even more free than that.

I like intimate stories like Eisenhorn which don't greatly impact on the setting as a whole, but I also like the odd trilogy or even book which tells a story which has a big event as a back drop.

At the moment, once you get a thousand years or two away from the Horus Heresy you could be in the 32nd Millennium or the 39th and the setting is presently not greatly distinguishable. It's not so much the events but how people live and what they have to deal with that might help to give more flavour to 10,000 years of the setting.

Can we please just make a "Scouring Series" thread or something instead of clogging the SIEGE NEWS thread with back and forth discussions and wishlisting on something that does not exist and even if it were to happen, would not until the Heresy is wrapped up? Frankly, it's tiring and just going round and round at this point, with nobody really adding anything that has much impact on the topic at hand. It's a pointless conversation, removed from the actual topic, that has been going on for page after page at this point.

Can we please just make a "Scouring Series" thread or something instead of clogging the SIEGE NEWS thread with back and forth discussions and wishlisting on something that does not exist and even if it were to happen, would not until the Heresy is wrapped up? Frankly, it's tiring and just going round and round at this point, with nobody really adding anything that has much impact on the topic at hand. It's a pointless conversation, removed from the actual topic, that has been going on for page after page at this point.

Totally fair point and good to see a different thread started.

However, DC I do think the tone of your response was uncalled for brother. Yes you may find it tiresome but clearly others are excited and interested in discussing BUT agreed this thread went off at a tangent and needs to be brought back on.

Edited by DukeLeto69

what are People expecting Vulkan to do?

Sit quietly in the basement until his spotlight in Kyme's containment short. 

Sort of hoping for a Star Wars EU approach. The novels can tell the "main" story, play the hits, give the semi-expected account. Tie up loose ends / expand on interesting ideas with shorts in between that add context to the bigger works but aren't necessary in the grand scheme. 

Are there any retcons people actually want to see? (not to be smarmy, genuinely curious).

I've been an outspoken opponent of Sangy putting a chink in Horus` armor (TL:DR, it changes the flavor of his sacrifice for the worse in my opinion), and I dislike the idea of anyone other than Horus lowering his shields as well (especially now that everyone is drawing attention to how much of a threat the Ultras are.) I do however like the sound of Sangy vs Angron. They kinda took the piss out of a rematch with Ka`bandha after Sanguinius suplexed him in Fear to Tread, and a slavering daemon prince backing off after a stare down would be a bit odd (though not undoable in skilled hands). If that is changed though, I'd still like to see Ka`bandha hovering around, exclaiming loudly that he is the arch-foe of Sanguinius and the IXth. 

"I have returned Sanguinius, the daemon who broke your legion's back! Your most hated of foes!"

"Madail! I knew we would one day be forced to settle our score!"

"What? No, it's me, Ka'bandha. Destined to bring woe to your bloodline for 10,000 years."

"Who?"

Edited by Roomsky

• 2 months later...