Annoying disparity in Primaris options

Guest MistaGav

It could be a case of not upsetting the die hard regular Marine fans any more than needed. If Intercessors were bigger, tougher, with better bolt weapons AND could take a heavy weapon, special weapon and a few melee options, the Tactical Squad would be dead (when the inevitable Primaris Rhino equivalent comes out). At least now there is a reason to take either squad.

I quite like the legion inspired loadout as well. A bit different and as already mentioned, easier to balance with a points tweak without unintended impact elsewhere.

The HQ (and Sargent) options though, totally on board with the moaning. Starting a Primaris Spacewolf army and the Lieutenant options are plain odd! Bolt Rifle, Bolt Rifle and free chainsword, Axe and Bolt Carbine. Those are the 3 options. 1 is nonsense because why would you ever NOT go for the free chainsword? Even if you have the model that only has a rifle so I assume is responsible for the option, what opponent would ever object to you getting your extra chainsword attack anyway...

It could be a case of not upsetting the die hard regular Marine fans any more than needed. If Intercessors were bigger, tougher, with better bolt weapons AND could take a heavy weapon, special weapon and a few melee options, the Tactical Squad would be dead (when the inevitable Primaris Rhino equivalent comes out). At least now there is a reason to take either squad.

I doubt that. That would mean GW would have to retire the current sprues and release new Intercessor sprues eventually. Also I don't think giving Primaris Marines Heavy weapons and such would change anything about people liking or not liking them.

Think you misunderstood me, i'm not saying Intecessors will get those options eventually, I'm saying they're never going to get a Heavy / special weapon and part of the reason might be so they don't overlap too much with tactical Marines. I like Intercessors etc just as they are, the basic Primaris troops are great if currently limited in choice, and that issue will go away as the army develops.

I can only hope the restrictive and slightly stange character loadouts do as well.

Looks like everyone's on the same page so when do we march on Nottingham HQ?

I think we all meet at 09:00 for Breakfast at Bugmans, then head outside and march round and round the Rhino with a catchy chant:

"What do we want!?"

"More options for Primaris HQ's and Sergeants not restricted to individually available models!"

"When do we want it!?"

"Soon! ish! if it's not too much trouble! Thankyou!"

I'm fine with characters having limited weapon options right now because they reflect the units that we have access to. I think as we see more waves of Primaris we'll start to see more character loadouts/customization options. It just won't be with the traditional weapons like lightning claws, it'll be whatever new stuff that they come up with. I'm pretty excited to see what they come up with next. 

I think Primaris are Marketing Marines more than anything else. 

Easier to copyright image because they all based on one model design, easier to produce two sets of identical sprues and justify all the same weapon load out because that is how it worked in the Heresy and easier to chuck in starter sets.

The third party party fiasco is what has lead to this whole only what comes in the box nonsense and changing army names, that and I imagine GW see these as the starter army so having options most of us would just snip from other kits would be out of the question to avoid confusion for new players.

I think the downfall of these designs is when it comes to characters. I'd rather have individual options than swap this load out for that load out.  

I'll say this for the kits, I'm putting my first Intercessors together at the moment and they're an absolute pleasure! They also have lots of compatibility with older parts, mixing in plenty of Grey Hunter gubbins on mine. It would have been very easy for GW to make the heads, shoulder pads etc incompatible so that's a nice touch.

The problem is not now that primaris are just another option in a already big marines units choices

The problem will be when GW will phase out old marines

Then we will have a really limited army

About the unit loadouts it's not a problem to me

The only good primaris units are hellblasters and inceptors and they don't need options

The problem is not now that primaris are just another option in a already big marines units choices

The problem will be when GW will phase out old marines

Then we will have a really limited army

About the unit loadouts it's not a problem to me

The only good primaris units are hellblasters and inceptors and they don't need options

It'll be quite awhile before they take the older marines off the shelves as long as they sell they'll make room for them.

Archived