Zhiv does Legio Astorum and Legio Mordaxis.

Zhiv

• 4 weeks later...

Santa came, brought lancers.  And unlike titans, lancers you can paint by brush!

HV9KSbX.jpg

My homebrew house Idrax in purple and cream. 

The gold needs tidying up, then I need washes and some transfers... that I got from Veni Vidi Vici.   I have them in white and black... I will use hydra for these knights and the snakes... snakes will be used to represent the house devine after their fall - their pre-fall symbol is Imperial eagle battling a snake (i.e. their heretical cults) so...  figured that traitorous Devine knights would proudly portray the snake... 

If you are having trouble with magnets, it probably means they are weak N40-N42 grade. This is what "most" ebay and amazon sellers have... To be honest, they are crap for modeling. I wont use anything but the stronger N52 grade. If the packet doesnt say N52, they arent. I recommend K&J Magnetics. N52 is only pennies worth more, and what you save in time and frustration is worth the few cents more in cost.

Excellent work! Are you planning to have a version of them blessed by Nurgle? (eventhough timing wise they would not fit in the Horus Heresy setting)

Nope, by my 28mm scale chaosified knight is purple and cream so....   I wanted to connect the dots, so to speak. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since I cannot pain, I have ordered some hobby stuff (transfers, titan death book).  I will try to get some knights done in February but titans might have to wait until April...

Meanwhile, names!

Legio Vulpa

Janissary Maniple Nuntio Nox

Reavers

Nuntio Nox (Harbringer of Violent Death)

Immitis Vastator (Cruel Destroyer)

Warhounds

Mors Insectatio (Death Chase)

Canis Atrox (Fierce Hound)

Canis Trebax (Cunning Hound)

• 2 months later...

Zhiv, how are you approaching the yellow? I've found the base paints to be pretty good for yellow, and if you blend them with layer paints you should get a very smooth and effective finish without too much work.

Zhiv, how are you approaching the yellow? I've found the base paints to be pretty good for yellow, and if you blend them with layer paints you should get a very smooth and effective finish without too much work.

As a Fureans player I can feel his pain.

I tried many different ways but yellow is reall hard to paint well. At the moment I'm using the base yellow from the GW paints and then put many layers of Flash Gitz yellow on top before I use Lamenters yellow. But I still struggle to get a smooth and nice looking finish. :)

My method for yellow is to paint Yriel yellow straight onto a white base coat. I effectively treat the yellow as a layer paint on top of the white.  You need a true white, not corax, which is a bit grey. This gives a really bright colour that I don't think you can really achieve with averland sunset.

Well done for taking on the challenge, and good luck!

Edited by Mandragola

At the moment I am doing army paints matt white (spray) - army paints demon yellow (spray) - army paints yellow (bottle).  I am debating about lamenter's yellow on top of that.  I am color blind so, there are issues with my perception of colors.

These sprays however leave a bit grainy surface - something that is rather unpleasant.  So either I learn to air brush or I never touch yellow again. 

My traitor legio will be Vulcanum.  Dark green / black should let me use nice spray cans I know I can trust.

Hmm, I have found yellow not to be too awkward, but haven't tried it on a model the scale of a Warlord.

Using the base paint and then mixing it with a layer gives you both the intensity and the coverage - I thin the paint too with medium and then apply a couple of coats, but if you continue to add layer paint to it as you go it should probably be fine.