Zhiv does Legio Astorum and Legio Mordaxis.

Zhiv

Trudging on, not really enjoying every step but that's how the cookie* crumbles sometimes.

Still work in progress as I decided I want GW's  Macragge blue over Army Painter's Ultramarine blue.

Meet Fulgor Aurorae (Glory of Daybreak)

yJ6vc9u.jpg

And the maniple's flag-titan (?) Lux Aeterna (Eternal Light) piloted by Princeps Majoris Ravin

e9D1HK5.jpg

*or cork you use for basing. 

Edited by Zhiv

For what it’s worth, I start with Kantor blue. I like the really strong contrast between the bright yellow and dark blue.

Speaking of yellow, that warlord’s head looks excellent. Keep up the good work!

Like you, I’ve been batch painting my titans. It does lead to long periods where you’re looking at boring metal skeletons and acres of armour plates to paint. If you need a morale boost you should pick a titan and finish it.

For what it’s worth, I start with Kantor blue. I like the really strong contrast between the bright yellow and dark blue.

Speaking of yellow, that warlord’s head looks excellent. Keep up the good work!

Like you, I’ve been batch painting my titans. It does lead to long periods where you’re looking at boring metal skeletons and acres of armour plates to paint. If you need a morale boost you should pick a titan and finish it.

Thank you!

Kantor blue doesn't come in a rattle can and I don't think I can invest to airbrush (I mean, I can... but that would make the previous work pretty moot).  Maybe Macragge and Drakenhof Nightshade?

I got a retributor gold rattle can and painted the Kantor blue onto the armour plates with a brush. I found it way easier that way round than spraying the plate and painting the trim. Painting a flat panel isn’t hard.

That said, life got a lot harder when I had to undercoat the gold plates white again to do the yellow parts. There really is no easy route!

I got a retributor gold rattle can and painted the Kantor blue onto the armour plates with a brush. I found it way easier that way round than spraying the plate and painting the trim. Painting a flat panel isn’t hard.

That said, life got a lot harder when I had to undercoat the gold plates white again to do the yellow parts. There really is no easy route!

I don't actually mind the trim.  I find it oddly meditative.  I just pop on the music and paint half of 3-5 plates, let them dry.  Rinse and repeat few times a day.   I mean, so far I have been working on white and yellow panels - I saw a reaver with white shoulder plates in Vraks book and wanted to recreate that bit of detail.  

Then I get to hope and pray that we get transfer sheet that works with white surfaces.

Assuming we get a transfer sheet.  Like, the other ones in Titandeath have been out for months. @.@  Where is Astorum, Atarus and Defensor. 

Me: I want to make my titans look like they are walking on a moon or something.

Astrogranite: *exists*

Me:

T2E8UEt.jpg

So it's really easy, even if 6.40 € pot is a lot.

Bases.

y1kjmEy.jpg

And titan on aforementioned base!  I still need to tidy the edges, but these took me maybe half a hour altogether. Which isn't too bad.

JHXLm07.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I still sorta enjoy painting the trim.  However I have issues with my white rattle can that leaves a grainy finish on larger surfaces, forcing me to sand and hand pain the blemishes before undercoating my bits blue. 

Lucky it doesn't show too much on the final product. 

pb5OpzL.jpg

Anyone with any experience, is Corax White rattle can better than the Army Warpaints one?

You get all sorts of different effects from different cans. I still haven’t found a white spray that I’m happy with. Corax white is smooth but it isn’t really white. It’s nearer to ulthuan grey.

Metallic sprays seem to give a smooth finish. This is one of the things I like about basing armour plates in retributor armour. But it’s annoying to have to go back and paint layers of white on before doing flames and yellow.

I recently tried this new water-based white undercoat that I got from 4D but I got a bad can and it didn’t spray at all. Need to return that.

GW has just announced a new paint range along with two new undercoat sprays. I’m interested to see how they are.

So, with some pieces sorta ready (?), I have started assembling my hounds in hopes of finishing a titan (sans transfers) and so hopefully to feel better about the whole project.

fDq6UHM.png

So this is Canis Audens (Brave Hound) 

25ck0d9.jpg

And this is ... [pending].

They both are still bit nude as they are missing the leg and crotch plates...

EDIT: Also missing void generators.  Any good ideas how to paint those?

Edited by Zhiv

w50Ry5N.jpg

A dog walks!  More specifically Canis Fidens (Resolute Hound) roams the blasted moonscape. 

Still missing highlights, weathering transfers... and void shield generators.   Debating between light blue and purple highlights - also possibly purple inks.

Love it.

When I start my Warp Runners what do you think of silver banding on the armor instead of gold? It would help it pop vs gold.

Could work well.  I just went with gold because that seems to be the canonical trim color.  One thing though, paint the shin eagle in different color than than the trim - make it stone (or keep it golden) if your trim is silver.  

Titans are looking awesome!!! Void generators are tricky...I just tried airbrushing some and I think it turned out pretty good, kind of a glowing effect...on my cascadia Titans, I just based them in a dark bronze color and played around with some tourquoise and purple inks...a little less flashy and it looks the part....as far as spray cans go, you should experiment with non miniature brands... Rust-Oleum makes some great paints...get a semi gloss enamel white and as long as your application is consistent and temperature is good, it will be smooth as a baby's ass...good to practice technique on spare armor panels. Rusto also makes a line of camo paints ( I think they are for hunters to camo up Thier gear), these make EXCELLENT primers and come in some great colors...

Titans are looking awesome!!! Void generators are tricky...I just tried airbrushing some and I think it turned out pretty good, kind of a glowing effect...on my cascadia Titans, I just based them in a dark bronze color and played around with some tourquoise and purple inks...a little less flashy and it looks the part....as far as spray cans go, you should experiment with non miniature brands... Rust-Oleum makes some great paints...get a semi gloss enamel white and as long as your application is consistent and temperature is good, it will be smooth as a baby's ass...good to practice technique on spare armor panels. Rusto also makes a line of camo paints ( I think they are for hunters to camo up Thier gear), these make EXCELLENT primers and come in some great colors...

Hmm, I guess I could look for those in hardware store.  But I might live in the wrong country for some products.   I saw some pretty good looking generators that had been done with stormhost -> guilliman blue, I think I am going to do that myself too.

7h5jgVQ.jpg

Canis Audens joins his/her brother/sister. 

Are titans gendered anyway?

p7J8ld3.jpg

Family portrait. 

Edited by Zhiv

Do you want them to be gendered? Rule of cool.

The machine spirit seems to absorb some traits and aspects of the previous princeps, so even if originally genderless they might develop a gender?  Linky

But then we get to the fine theological question of 'is the machine spirit the titan' i.e. if planes, tanks and ships are 'female', why not titans?