A Custodes, Thunder Warrior, and Astartes walk into a bar...

b1soul

On Custodes and Primarchs, Valdor (the absolute pinnacle of Custodes) is the only Custodes regarded as approaching primarch

Grab a random Custodes from The 10,000,and he's gonna get pasted by a primarch

eh, there was that story with those two Custodes who fancied their chances against Dorn and his retinue

On Custodes and Primarchs, Valdor (the absolute pinnacle of Custodes) is the only Custodes regarded as approaching primarch

Grab a random Custodes from The 10,000,and he's gonna get pasted by a primarch

eh, there was that story with those two Custodes who fancied their chances against Dorn and his retinue

Confidence to the level of arrogance.  Just because you believe you stand a chance doesnt mean that you actually do!

However from the codex stuff that I've read it does make most sense that size wise is custode, thunder warriors, astartes, human

It's no secret that Custodes think little of Primarchs. They are the ones closest to the Emperor, his most perfect creation. Primarchs are monsters he created and that partially fell to chaos proving their inferiority in their eyes.

The Custodes are definitely not on a par with a Primarch, although they wouldn't be scared of one either.

We've seen plenty of moments in the fictions where a Primarch takes on foes that might be beyond a Custodian Guard. It happens often enough in Dark Imperium 1 and 2...

Well if you get enough guardsmen, presumably you could kill a primarch...

So having a bunch of Custodates come down on one would do the trick too (might be an argument of economics though since Custodates wear armor that's worth planets...the :cuss, that is just dumb. So when Jetbike Billy gets a lascannon facial and it blows him away, is that basically like the Rebels blowing up the Deathstar in terms of resources lost?)

5000 guardsmen just Crater at Petersburg style (US civil war) lighting a primarch up, he'll go down.

Angron about got taken out by Leman Russ's space wolves (at the cost of Leman) in their weird and wasteful (in legion lives and assets) dick waving contest/"lesson" Leman felt the need to teach about how wasteful and reckless Angron was being...

The ‘Custode on a Stick’ previously known as Vendatha would argue with being able to take on multiple astartes and a primarch, even one as lowly a fighter as Lorgar.

Custodes definitely don’t think highly of primarchs, not are they exactly impressed with their exploits and abilities. Whether that is through distinct conditioning or pure confidence/arrogance in their prowess can be debated.

I would opine that they are developed with a sense of superiority and arrogance to carry out their primary mission as guardians. In all reality, what the primarchs accomplished should be looked at with awe or at least some respect. That the Custodes almost to a fault belittle the primarchs contributions makes it seem almost artificial by design.

For an on topic touch, I would say the thunder warrior is the older, less ported specimen.

Most likely. Pretty much every Primarch has his own catalogue of deeds where he goes through enemies like Ra (a Tribune, who at this point had been fighting daemons and traitor marines for year) does through Astartes in MoM.

Admittedly I do believe that the Custodes' power has been dialled a notch higher than it should've been in the lore.

It's a fun conversation. I've found a lot of it has made me reflect on the deep history of this game. Sometimes it really blows me away that Disney hasn't snatched this up and turned into a 3 movie a year money machine. ;)

@ D3L

Dorn said "I'd hurt you."

The Custodes say "You'd try."

Doesn't mean anything beyond Custodes show primarchs less respect

This is just me.... I don't know the origin of those words or the idea that a few Custodes 'fancied their chances' against Dorn and his retinue. However, I think if I were writing such a scene it would have went more like this:

Dorn - 'I'd hurt you' (I'm still not sure what this was in response to)

The Custodes- After a few second thought; 'It's a futile discussion. What's for dinner?'

I have these conversations with my wife all the time. (Not exactly "I'd hurt you") And whenever I'm being probed for debate, or friction I will take the high ground with her. :D

Seriously though the reason I say this is most of the -great- Custodes fiction has well cemented the Custodes psyche. 

We have an idea of how they think and yea, they seem to think of themselves as closer to the Emperor but rightfully so. He's referred to how difficult a Custodes is to make and they've been his right hand, his left hand, and his beat stick for a loong time.

A know a Custodes first thinks of nearly any situation as: How does this threaten the Emperor? Everything else is a very distant second. 

I believe a Custodes would see himself as severely handicapped by a Primarch (most of them anyway). But I could never just write off a Custode. But as far as the threat or implication? A Custode would never bite. IF there was a threat to the Emperor? Then heck yea, but you'd see them willingly give their life to kill that Primarch and I think it is possible, but not likely. (Heck an Alpha Legion marine could have killed Guilllman in Imperium Secondus.)

On the note of all these dudes, including the Thunderwarriors.... wouldn't it be something if Cawl had that recipe? He's mentioned that he has pretty much everything for all the Legions to Guilliman. Or imagine if Chaos got a hold of the Thunder Warrior recipe?

Thinking about it, having Guilliman and Cawl is like having the Emperor back, just it is all handicapped a little. You have the statemenship of Guilliman, the fighting prowess of Guilliman and the technology/research of Cawl. None of them are as good as having the Big E back but it allows the story to continue.

The only way the story was able to continue was to either let the imperium die or to let it right itself.

Custodes simply don't respect Primarchs as much as other Imperials do...they're only deference is to the Emperor.

‘Put up your weapons,’ he said gently.

The Imperial Fists smartly raised the boltguns to their shoulders.

‘I meant everyone,’ added Dorn, looking at the custodes.

Amon and Haedo kept their spears aimed at the canopied throne.

‘My lord, Pherom Sichar is a traitor and spy,’ replied Amon carefully. ‘He is using the networks of his extensive mercantile empire to communicate with the Warmaster and his benighted rebels. We have just cause and evidence enough to hold him and interrogate him. He will come with us.’

‘Or?’ asked Dorn with a soft, almost amused smile.

‘He will come with us, my lord,’ Amon insisted.

Dorn nodded.

‘An object lesson in determination and loyalty, eh,Archamus?’ he said.

‘Indeed, my lord,’ replied the commander of the huscarls.

‘They would fight six Astartes and a primarch in order to accomplish their duty,’ Dorn said.

‘My lord,’ Amon said, ‘please stand aside.’

‘I’m half-tempted to let you attempt to go through me,’ said Dorn. ‘I would, of course, hurt you both.’

‘You would try,’ replied Haedo. ‘My lord,’ he added.

‘Enough,’ said Dorn.

Keep in mind that this scene happens in Blood Games, a story that says Custodes are only marginally superior physically to Astartes

Generally, custodes were larger and more powerful than Astartes, but the differences were only noticeably significant in a few specific cases. No one would be foolish enough to predict the outcome of a contest between an Astartes and a custodes.

The greatest differences lay in the mind. Though custodes shared a familial bond through the circles of their order, it was nothing like the keen brotherhood that cemented the Legions of the Astartes. Custodes were far more solitary beings: sentinels, watchmen, destined to stand forever, alone.

The Custodes are definitely not on a par with a Primarch, although they wouldn't be scared of one either.

Actually, funnily enough according to 'expertly' balanced Forge World rules, well optimized no-name Custode equivalent of a captain can take on almost any non-psyker primarch, chop him to bits, then eat his terminator retinue for dessert no problem. Easily beating 2-4 times (depending on Legion) of his own points in enemy units, and only has problems if he has to fight all of them at once. Isn't 7th edition wonderful? :rolleyes:

I would love to see chaos thunder Warriors. Loyalists wouldn't go for them but Chaos has no reason not to.

Eh, I can't see CSM dabbling in something that can upstage or replace them, especially with their arrogance and belief in being pinnacle of everything. Even Bile, deviant as he is in wanting to create something better, would take one look, conclude it's really shoddy job that is well beneath him, and at best borrowed a few best bits for future research IMO.

Actually, funnily enough according to 'expertly' balanced Forge World rules, well optimized no-name Custode equivalent of a captain can take on almost any non-psyker primarch, chop him to bits, then eat his terminator retinue for dessert no problem. Easily beating 2-4 times (depending on Legion) of his own points in enemy units, and only has problems if he has to fight all of them at once. Isn't 7th edition wonderful? :rolleyes:

I would love to see chaos thunder Warriors. Loyalists wouldn't go for them but Chaos has no reason not to.

Eh, I can't see CSM dabbling in something that can upstage or replace them, especially with their arrogance and belief in being pinnacle of everything. Even Bile, deviant as he is in wanting to create something better, would take one look, conclude it's really shoddy job that is well beneath him, and at best borrowed a few best bits for future research IMO.
Chaos Marines CONSTANTLY dabble with things that can upstage or replace them. It's how they became Chaos marines instead of just renegades.

Yes but in 7th edition rules a biker captain with the right relics and psychic powers was the most powerful being in the galaxy lol

RobWrath, on 17 Nov 2018 - 2:23 PM, said:http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

Sorry did someone say 'chaos thunder warrior'?

Fabius Bile would have a field day.

I don't know that you could ever build an army/codex out of this idea, but it would be kind of neat to see it investigated.

In an old WD, there was a story written around the Cursed Founding that talked about discovering a lab, or the remnants of it, and the diary of someone who was involved with the original research, before Fabius decended on the facility and used his library card to check out some interesting research.

It wouldn't take too much of a stretch to infer "Thunder Warrior" type experimentation from what was written.

In any case, you could probably adopt some sort of Khârn-type rules to represent a TW that had outlasted his warranty period.

Archived