"Primarization" of Future Special Characters

Sete

The entire First Company of the Dark Angels know about the Fallen, killing off a few characters during the Primaris upgrading process will not remove the secrets.

But this whole process gives GD a chance to sell a lot of character minis to older players that aren’t too keen on upgrading their whole 20+ year collection of proper marines.

This is the first time since Primaris dropped that I have had any interest in my 16,000 point DA army, they seemed obsolete and out of setting, this might fix that.

What happens to vehicles concerns me most, but we’ll see. And this thread is about character upgrading, not vehicles.

It was interesting to say the least.  I'm more of the opinion the traditional Marine (OGmarine?) will be phased out.

To that end, I've been deliberating how to make current Primaris models into current OGmarine stuff (like a Primaris Shrike or Reivers as counts-as ASM).

The vents on Primarneus armor only seem to be hint of his termie armor high "collar" vents... They serve no purpose, they don´t look like teleport homer/beacon addons and his backbag already has stupidly, eagle heads, heat pods/vents and even ammo canisters...

They need to just make the plunge. I haven't bought (well almost nothing) or played anything since Primaris were announced. I'm hopefull that the range will be expanded by 2019.

I wonder if Lysander will have gravis armour, or a new type of terminator armour...

The vents on Primarneus armor only seem to be hint of his termie armor high "collar" vents... They serve no purpose, they don´t look like teleport homer/beacon addons and his backbag already has stupidly, eagle heads, heat pods/vents and even ammo canisters...

I don't think as this model is clearly a remake of the old Calgar model in artificer armour, not an update/upgrade of his termie-armoured form.

I don't think as this model is clearly a remake of the old Calgar model in artificer armour, not an update/upgrade of his termie-armoured form.

It´s still quite puzzling and mostly just looking kinda stupid without real purpose. Sure they took some hints from old minis and thank goodness they didn´t overwhelm him this time with too much "items" all around the armor.

So apparently, according to Valrak, it was said in the seminar by the GW guys that regular Space Marines are going nowhere.  

Be cynical if you like, but that is GW's official line for now.  Its certainly supported by GW stating that regular marines are still being made in universe.

I suspect based on those factors, and the process being dangerous/nearly killing calgar, this primirisation will only be used in rare circumstances for special characters.

I think the ones we will see will be the oldest metal characters, unless they decide to kill anyone off.  So Dante, Azrael, Ezekiel, Tigurius, Shrike, Lysander, Ragnar etc.  Possibly some newer ones that are in resin like Belial, Asmodai, Arjac, etc. I don't think they'll do mephiston as he is so powerful anyway it would be unnecessary and he could have a huge new model anyway.  Definetly not any recent ones in plastic like Grimnar and Ulrik the Slayer

Ofc they won't take the OGmarine range out of the shelve tomorrow.

It's not being cynical, it's a bussiness decision They will be making money from both ranges for years to come.

But for me personally, with Primaris Calgar, we have reached a turning point. Primaris will be the standard for releases while lorewise chapters can produce OGmarines they will not be expanded upon.

So apparently, according to Valrak, it was said in the seminar by the GW guys that regular Space Marines are going nowhere.

Be cynical if you like, but that is GW's official line for now. Its certainly supported by GW stating that regular marines are still being made in universe.

I suspect based on those factors, and the process being dangerous/nearly killing calgar, this primirisation will only be used in rare circumstances for special characters.

I think the ones we will see will be the oldest metal characters, unless they decide to kill anyone off. So Dante, Azrael, Ezekiel, Tigurius, Shrike, Lysander, Ragnar etc. Possibly some newer ones that are in resin like Belial, Asmodai, Arjac, etc. I don't think they'll do mephiston as he is so powerful anyway it would be unnecessary and he could have a huge new model anyway. Definetly not any recent ones in plastic like Grimnar and Ulrik the Slayer

No one is thinking they are going anywhere. I expect to be able to buy anything in the range 10 years from now.

Be cynical if you like, but that is GW's official line for now. Its certainly supported by GW stating that regular marines are still being made in universe.

I think the ones we will see will be the oldest metal characters, unless they decide to kill anyone off. So Dante, Azrael, Ezekiel, Tigurius, Shrike, Lysander, Ragnar etc. Possibly some newer ones that are in resin like Belial, Asmodai, Arjac, etc. I don't think they'll do mephiston as he is so powerful anyway it would be unnecessary and he could have a huge new model anyway. Definetly not any recent ones in plastic like Grimnar and Ulrik the Slayer

He did indeed confirm that current marines aren't being phased out. He also said that it was very difficult to convert a marine to a primaris so not all would get the treatment.

Another topic that came up a lot though, Was that they try to avoid taking something away that still has model support and that they wouldn't remove things that people only just had access to.

He also said about how nothing is permanent though, and how "forever" is a long time.

It was a really good seminar (I asked quite a lot of questions myself and he was a good sport about it all!)

I am expecting the range to end but I don't think it will happen in less than 5 years. If it takes 10 years then even better. But I do expect less and less old guard in favor of Nu-marines. 
space marines are a large miniature range. 

Why do they keep lying about old marines?

You dont really have to ask that.

There are 918710391 standard marines on people's shelves. If GW said 'yeah those guys are all obsolete, look at this new Primaris!' people would be howling. As it is, those who look at things critically know whats up (planned obsolescence, buy these new bigger better marines!) and they can wink/nod that 'of course your Standard Marines are still valid' kind of like how you can still play Bret's, in Age of Sigmar. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/WSC-BRT-ENG

So yeah, they will keep saying 'of couse they are not obsolete' as long as there are kits to sell. Whats the last 'normal' marine kit? Has there even been one since Primaris? Whats on the Cover of the Codex?

Come on GW. ;)

I honestly don't even care whether regular Marines go away or not and might even prefer if they stay. As long as they release enough Primaris for me to play a full Primaris army properly ^^

I honestly don't even care whether regular Marines go away or not and might even prefer if they stay. As long as they release enough Primaris for me to play a full Primaris army properly ^^

This is the most important thing for me now.

I would love if every Primarized chapter master had an "honor" guard.

Would look sick as hell on the table.

Just a matter of time. Just as people get sick of marines, people would be sick of the number of releases to play a full primaris army on par with the options Marines already have, I would think.

I'd rather we got stuff like the new GSC bikes/quad.

For people like me. I like the “standard” MK10 but hate the gravis armour and power shorts. If GW tells me that Terminator armour is a thing of the past, I’m not going to collect Marines anymore. I won’t nerd rage, set my stuff on fire and quit the hobby, I just won’t buy Marines. They wanna keep my sales.

Besides, we can’t prove that they’re lying. Only their actions over the coming years will show wether they’ve been honest or not.

For people like me. I like the “standard” MK10 but hate the gravis armour and power shorts. If GW tells me that Terminator armour is a thing of the past, I’m not going to collect Marines anymore. I won’t nerd rage, set my stuff on fire and quit the hobby, I just won’t buy Marines. They wanna keep my sales.

Besides, we can’t prove that they’re lying. Only their actions over the coming years will show wether they’ve been honest or not.

Wait, you think normal Marines, and Marks of Armour, will see new releases?

Wait, you think normal Marines, and Marks of Armour, will see new releases?

Nope, I just don’t think they’ll stop producing the existing ones. I at least believe that they’ll keep the bare minimum available in plastic to support the Heresy range and there might possibly be new plastics released for that. Unlikely, but possible.

I also believe that nobody knows GWs plan but GW and that anything other than an official statement from them is speculation. So when GW says Marines aren’t going anywhere, then I have to believe that. I’ll still work under the assumption that I’m wrong though - plan for the worst, hope for the best.

I wonder who will not make the cut...

I'd bet most models that are already plastic. Probably a couple of older characters that don't sell. 

They aren't lying about them. As long as they sell GW isn't going to take them off the shelves, and they will keep selling. Mainly because there are more options, the units are more flexible, and they have a wide range of vehicles.  

For my part, bet they will see new releases. True-scale, nostalgic bits.

But for that to be sensible, some time will need to pass.

By end of 2018? I'd eat my hat.

So 2019 non-Primaris releases? I doubt it.

Before 2020? Similarly, I'd doubt it.

2020-2023? Sure, why not? Lovely!

---

Re: Calgar.

Hooray?

As others have said, he was barely even a torso by the end of M41.

Well into M42?

I guess the Primaris "conversion" process might even have been wonderfully bleak. Clone body. Head transplant. Mental reconditioning. Cortex duplication and brain transplant?

It could be extremely grim.

Far worse than mere Ship of Theseus territory.

It'll be interesting to see it touched in the fiction.

(It'll also, surely, be an experiment on GW's part - how do people respond to it? Is the conversion favourable? Is the cry for 'kill some people off' brought in with the caveat 'but not the people I like'? And what on earth does 'it will drive the story forward' mean? It didn't exactly drive the story forward for Warhammer Fantasy when the 'Nagash' sourcebook killed off almost everyone that made an appearance. [And then didn't have the guts to actually kill off Fantasy properly. Just a messy sort of fakesimilie impostor-syndrome weird thing with the holdovers in the otherwise nowadays interesting Age of Sigmar.)

Very interesting indeed!

Archived