"Primarization" of Future Special Characters

Sete

Why I a, so excited for this has a lot to do with the history tying into the future.

I know some people love the old marines but for me this is more about the characters and the lore surviving the development team and the board room decisions.

So this means more than ‘Can I play pure Primaris ‘ to me.

We can see that we will have most if not all of the characters carry forward. There was precedent set in Dark Imperium for old style marines taking the transformation. I think Captain Felix is one such example and he’s a tie in to the past for Guilliman.

GW clearly expected the fear of Primaris replacing old marines to flare up again, which is why they made it a point to highlight Vanguard and Sternguard vets in the trailer showcasing PriMarneus and the new Chaos Lord. 

Honestly, I don't think much changes - Calgar was one limb away from being a Dreadnought. If this Rubicon Primaris is as infrequent as being entombed...well, I don't see an issue there. 

Why I a, so excited for this has a lot to do with the history tying into the future.

I know some people love the old marines but for me this is more about the characters and the lore surviving the development team and the board room decisions.

We can see that we will have most if not all of the characters carry forward. There was precedent set in Dark Imperium for old style marines taking the transformation. I think Captain Felix is one such example and he’s a tie in to the past for Guilliman.

Nah Felix is a test tube marine, not a revisted cash cow

I don't even understand what you're saying at this point. None of the marines are cloned, most are recruits from the heresy and some are newborns from the 40th millenium.

The best part of the old marines were armor Marks and terminators. They’ll need to provide something for Primaris to fill the gap. Gravis will be a good start if they build on that by releasing an iron assault armor and Corvus recon armor equivalent. And terminators.

The best part of the old marines were armor Marks and terminators. They’ll need to provide something for Primaris to fill the gap. Gravis will be a good start if they build on that by releasing an iron assault armor and Corvus recon armor equivalent. And terminators.

What I'm sort of hoping is that when Primaris Tacticals/Assault/Devs are introduced, they will still have some old armour parts retrofited into their new armour suits. I mean, the Mk X helmet is cool-ish, but it lacks the raw badassness of the Mk7 helmet.

I don't even understand what you're saying at this point. None of the marines are cloned, most are recruits from the heresy and some are newborns from the 40th millenium.

he was turned into a parmesan marine in the test tubes on Mars, he's not a cash-cow revisited money grab, like Calgar (primarisied) , now that wasn't hard was it?

The two Space Wolves characters I'd like to see get Primaris'd are Ragnar and Arjak. Both of them have cool tropes and fantasies undermined because of the existance of Primaris.

Ragnar is supposed to be the 'Young King,' the next great and up and coming Wolf Lord. As things are now, the young up and comer is old, obsolete hardware. He also desperately needs a new model, and is a slam dunk canidate for Primaris treatment.

Arjak is supposed to be a freakishly huge Marine, a mountain of a man, but this is for underminded by there being a class of Marines bigger or at least similar sized than him. His model is small when placed next an aggressor.

Everyone should breathe a little easier knowing their favourite characters aren't obselete anymore.

I have about 150 favourite ‘characters’ that are likely to get the Primaris ‘upgrading’ yet will still all fit in MkII-MkVIII armour no worries.

And their weapons will also have an internal upgrade where appropriate, it turns out Primaris like to share :D

But my named characters might get MkX or Gravis as GW decides.

I would like to see Grimaldius and Shrike to get the Primaris treatment next.

My prediction is as GW rolls out their new line up for Primaris Space Marines the opposition will decline. They cannot maintain the line up for people who have no desire to create really new armies.

Really, the problem most people have is that the primaris lineup is really limited, both in models and in crunch. They need an anti-infantry option and anti-vehicle option for hellblaster, an anti-tank and heavy infantry option for aggressors, anti-tank for inceptors, CCW for Intercessors, either a cheaper or a bigger (Spartan-esque) transport, and (hopefully) a long range option for Reivers so they can truly be advanced scouts. I'll be posting my ideas to resolve these in the other thread though.

All special characters get Primaris'd I'd say.

This quite frankly a good thing, as having to Primaris all special character means redesigning and releasing them in plastic.

Having all these, in some cases very very aged special characters in finecast, get proper plastic releases is phenomenally good, and not something I'd felt was even remotely likely until now.

Of course, this is no guarantee that they actually will do all of them. Nightmare scenario for some of us would be with them stopping after the big 4. Think we're gonna have to push if we want to see all get the treatment, so let know you want your Primaris pedros, and Helbrecht, Grimalduses, Khans, Vulkans, Lysanders and Shrikes, get some updated plastic love.

It makes sense for Calgar to be the first to undergo such a difficult and dangerous procedure as he’s a bit of a spare tyre with Guilliman back. I’d expect they learned a lot from his upgrading and have reduced the risks of the process somewhat, though as it’s 40k I expect it’s still massively Dangerous.

I’m wondering how they’ll justify Dante undergoing such a dangerous process, it’s almost inevitable that he will but he’s very old and so respected he’s almost worshiped in some quarters. It’s clear Dante personally longs for death but keeps going out of duty and an understanding of how his legend helps the moral of the common folk of the imperium. Can’t see him or those around him wanting to risk his life for a few extra inches and bigger muscles. To be clear I believe Dante will become Primaris and I can think of many ways to justify him undergoing the process. I just hope GW gives him a proper reason and motivation and not have him risk his importance to the imperium for a power upgrade, that doesn’t fit his personality to me.

Lastly in Dark Imperium 2 Guilliman sends top secret orders to Dante, does anyone think that may be instructions on how to convert old marines to Primaris? As warden of Imperium Nihilus he’s the logical person to receive the info for dissemination in his half of the imperium

Dante will decide to undergo the process just to set an example ... also because he is not the kind of guy who worries about his own life regardless of how important he's supposed to be.

Archived