Help with my first (titanic) steps

Greetings mighty Brothers!

I have been looking into Adeptus Titanicus since the first rumours, and I watched with awe as the God-Engines started to wage war on the tabletop again. I always loved the concept of mighty war machines (that's why I have my Knights), and watched with a bit of jealousy the 28 mm Titans knowing, that I will never have one. It is still true as FW-s Titans are way to expensive for me, but AT gave me the opportunity, to own some of my favorite models, and also to play with them! 

The initial release was a bit disappointing for me, as only the Warlords came out (and the Grand Master box - as awesome as might think - is waaaaay to expensive for me), but thankfully all the other engines came along, and now the other weapon variants for Warlords and Reavers are on the way. 

So I held back myself, and waited for the best opportunity, and it seems, that it is at hand. Yet, I'm a bit uncertain. As thrilled as I was at the start I'm still not fully convinced.

I watched some BatReps on Youtube, but I would hear some personal opinions from you. How does the game feel? Commanding hulking iron giants seems fun, but I would really appreciate some thoughts on the game.

The other thing would be - if I finally decide wether I jump on the train, and if, than with what Legion - how many models do I require to start playing the game? 

Welcome.

First of all the game is excellent. It’s very tactical and the feel of being in control of your war engines is really personified by the command terminals and the mechanics of the game. Everything you do makes a difference and the tactical choices matter.

The games I have played tend to be on a knife edge where even though one player looks to be beaten they can turn it around with some great choices and little luck. The way the objectives of the games are decided and worked out are great.

Hope that clears some things up for you.

The models speak for themselves. They are beautiful. I’m theory you can play with one titan per side. In matches play it says 3 titans minimum I believe but it would be easy to play with either points per side or engines per side.

In reality you would like a few titans per side as them you can really take advance of the games mechanics as I previously explained.

It seems expensive to start but in reality rules plus a warlord and a couple of Warhounds can be picked up about £105-£110. Way cheaper than the other systems. Of course if you want to expand them that’s your choice but the options are there.

In conclusion. It’s brilliant. Rules are excellent. Models are excellent. Game is excellent.

Anything else you need help with feel free to ask.

There are some lists in the list thread but for 1500pts you can do a Warlord, 2 Reavers, and 2 Warhounds to spread out your firepower. Knights aren’t required and sorta fill out points while acting as blockers or pickets.

You’re lucky, if you know a group who plays you can get the new plasma/laserblasters Warlord that was just put up and watch people line up who will trade you a volcano for a plasma cannon. You’ll want a mix of weapons for busting shields and armor.

The game is fun and the models are fun to put together except Reaver legs, they were designed by someone who hates their customers.

Buy your 5x1 magnets now, they will take a few weeks to come from ebay :) 

The Warlords are designed to put in the magnets so it takes a literal extra 5 minutes to do it.

Right now a Warlord is a good start as 2/3 maniples use it. After that its down to what you want to use or like the most.

Axiom Battleline Maniple

Minimum: 1 Warlord, 1 Reaver, 1 Warhound
Optional: 1 Reaver, 1 Warhound

Myrmidion Heavy Maniple

Minimum: 2 Warlords, 1 Reaver
Optional: 1 Warlord, 1 Reaver

Venator Light Maniple

Minimum: 1 Reaver, 2 Warhounds
Optional: 2 Warhounds

The other thing would be - if I finally decide wether I jump on the train, and if, than with what Legion - how many models do I require to start playing the game? 

Hail Brother!

I don't have the experience of the more veteran Titanicus Frater, but I can answer that query at least.  A Reaver and a pair of Warhounds are a tidy little Maniple with some interesting rules, to beef it up a bit, like myself, you could also grab a box of knights, but you don't need them.  I think a Reaver and two Hounds stock up to about 750 ish points.

Good luck with your Titan adventures :)

MR

Hi there. If you’re thinking about just dipping your toes, I’d recommend a box of Warhounds and the rule book. With this, you’ve got two Titans and all of the tokens/accessories to build and assemble. This will set you back ~£75 from GW.

The Warhounds are a nice starter box for a few reasons. Firstly they come with a good number of weapons options, so you’re less likely to be disappointed when a new Titan comes along with a different load out (like with the Reaver and Warlord at the minute). Secondly, it means you can in theory play straight out of the box. Obviously you’ll want a few more Titans for your later games, but to start out, a single Warhound each isn’t a bad way to get your head around the rules. Another practical thing is because the Warhounds are small, it’s easier to use your existing 40k terrain (or even a few coke cans) as meaningful terrain for your first few games. A few of the 40k armoured containers will make a flat battlefield much more tactically interesting (and won’t totally break the immersion as giant crates make vague amounts of sense in universe.)

It also means you don’t have a massive intimidating pile of shame if you start small. Finally, they are a joy to assemble, unlike the more complex Reavers and Warlords. You’re unlikely to mess up the leg assembly on a Warhound by gluing the shin on backwards, where this is a very real risk with your first Reaver. Don’t get me wrong, the Reaver is a great kit, just take your time and follow the instructions (or guides on peoples’ threads here) to the letter.

If you enjoy the Warhounds, purchasing a Reaver (either the current one or wait for the different one to be released) gives you a legal maniple which you can build on. The nice thing about the setting is that civil war with a Titan Legio was far from uncommon, so it’s not unfluffy to have two Warhounds from say Mortis fighting amongst themselves with some Princeps siding with Horus and others remaining loyal to the Emperor.

Whatever you do, be sure to make a thread here, so we can encourage you on your journey into a world of tiny giant robots beating the snot out of each other.

Dallo

Welcome.

First of all the game is excellent. It’s very tactical and the feel of being in control of your war engines is really personified by the command terminals and the mechanics of the game. Everything you do makes a difference and the tactical choices matter.

The games I have played tend to be on a knife edge where even though one player looks to be beaten they can turn it around with some great choices and little luck. The way the objectives of the games are decided and worked out are great.

Hope that clears some things up for you.

The models speak for themselves. They are beautiful. I’m theory you can play with one titan per side. In matches play it says 3 titans minimum I believe but it would be easy to play with either points per side or engines per side.

In reality you would like a few titans per side as them you can really take advance of the games mechanics as I previously explained.

It seems expensive to start but in reality rules plus a warlord and a couple of Warhounds can be picked up about £105-£110. Way cheaper than the other systems. Of course if you want to expand them that’s your choice but the options are there.

In conclusion. It’s brilliant. Rules are excellent. Models are excellent. Game is excellent.

Anything else you need help with feel free to ask.

Thank you for your write-up Blood and skulls!

In those battle reports I watched I was a bit confused. I even read the rules, but I wasn't sure. It would be certainly better to have a live demo game, but in my close hobby environment I'm the first one who would like to get in the game. As I mentioned in the OP I always liked the concept of titans. 

In the last few years I was always more of a collector than a gamer. Nowadays I'm more interested in skirmish type games (I played mostly Malifaux and Warmachine) when it comes to play, so having a new, that sorta game - low figure count, high gaming experience - would be magnificent. 

How long does a regular engagement last? 

How do your feel, is the in game balance good? 

It took us a couple of hours to walk through the rules with about 1100 points each on the table but it goes quicker once you realize turn order is pretty different than 40k.  The game is quite balanced in that there's only one army list to choose from and there's very few legio-specific rules available right now.  Balance is entirely up to you, you need a few high rate of fire weapons to take down enemy shields and a few high strength weapons to take out enemy armor.  

Thank you for all the replies fellow Fraters! 

Buy your 5x1 magnets now, they will take a few weeks to come from ebay :smile.:

The Warlords are designed to put in the magnets so it takes a literal extra 5 minutes to do it.

Right now a Warlord is a good start as 2/3 maniples use it. After that its down to what you want to use or like the most.

Thank you for the Maniple write-up. It seems to me, that the Axiom is the most appealing to me right now, as it gives the biggest flexibility. Is there a difference between the Maniples ruleswise? Do they give you any additional boost? 

And are there any other Legions right now available than the ones in the Rulebook?

Hail Brother!

I don't have the experience of the more veteran Titanicus Frater, but I can answer that query at least.  A Reaver and a pair of Warhounds are a tidy little Maniple with some interesting rules, to beef it up a bit, like myself, you could also grab a box of knights, but you don't need them.  I think a Reaver and two Hounds stock up to about 750 ish points.

Good luck with your Titan adventures :smile.:

MR

Hi there. If you’re thinking about just dipping your toes, I’d recommend a box of Warhounds and the rule book. With this, you’ve got two Titans and all of the tokens/accessories to build and assemble. This will set you back ~£75 from GW.

The Warhounds are a nice starter box for a few reasons. Firstly they come with a good number of weapons options, so you’re less likely to be disappointed when a new Titan comes along with a different load out (like with the Reaver and Warlord at the minute). Secondly, it means you can in theory play straight out of the box. Obviously you’ll want a few more Titans for your later games, but to start out, a single Warhound each isn’t a bad way to get your head around the rules. Another practical thing is because the Warhounds are small, it’s easier to use your existing 40k terrain (or even a few coke cans) as meaningful terrain for your first few games. A few of the 40k armoured containers will make a flat battlefield much more tactically interesting (and won’t totally break the immersion as giant crates make vague amounts of sense in universe.)

It also means you don’t have a massive intimidating pile of shame if you start small. Finally, they are a joy to assemble, unlike the more complex Reavers and Warlords. You’re unlikely to mess up the leg assembly on a Warhound by gluing the shin on backwards, where this is a very real risk with your first Reaver. Don’t get me wrong, the Reaver is a great kit, just take your time and follow the instructions (or guides on peoples’ threads here) to the letter.

If you enjoy the Warhounds, purchasing a Reaver (either the current one or wait for the different one to be released) gives you a legal maniple which you can build on. The nice thing about the setting is that civil war with a Titan Legio was far from uncommon, so it’s not unfluffy to have two Warhounds from say Mortis fighting amongst themselves with some Princeps siding with Horus and others remaining loyal to the Emperor.

Whatever you do, be sure to make a thread here, so we can encourage you on your journey into a world of tiny giant robots beating the snot out of each other.

Dallo

Thank you Mazer Rackham and Brother Dallo!

As Dallo writes, I didn't want to start big, so I thought I will only buy a box of something for start, and I will only expand it further, if I'm finished with it. Unfortunately I tend to be carried away, and I didn't want to have another pile of shame in grey plastic (like my Horus Heresy Legions and Skitarii... - I swear, I will continue on working on you soon(ish)!!!!!) With my IK I made a nice progress with buying a box, painting it, and then buying another. It definitely slows the progress, but in the end there will be a nicely painted Lance, and no backlog. This helps my wallet too, as it isn't as expensive to buy a big box in several months, and gives me more time to plan forward.

The new Reaver and Warlord moved me over the fence, but I like the Warhound too. I'm really not sure what to pick up first :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Maybe could you give me some advice, what weapons to avoid, or what choose?

Thank you, that is the plan! I will try to be more active, than I was before!!:wink:

Maybe could you give me some advice, what weapons to avoid, or what choose?

If memory serves, an especially handsome Frater suggested a pack of Warhounds... :tongue.:

At this point, pick the model which looks coolest and if you never buy anything else, at least you'll have an actual Titan to display proudly. None of the Titans are "bad" in my opinion and they can be used in two (or three) different Maniples, so they don't tie you down too much rules wise. The three different Maniples have different rules. For example, when you take a Reaver and two-four Warhounds, any time a Warhound strips a Titan's shields, the Reaver gets a free shot at it (taking into account facing, range etc). One allows you to keep giving orders if you fail a test and I can't recall the third. I'm sure someone will chime in about them.

With regards to weapons choices, most people recommend magnets. There are a few tutorials about and the Warlord kit is designed with 5mm round magnets in mind.

Having said that, if you just want a no nonsense list of what weapons to glue onto your first Titan(s), you could do worse than the following:

Warhound: Bolter and Plasma

Reaver: Missiles on top, Gatling Blaster and Laser Blaster

Warlord: Missiles and twin Belacosa Volcano Cannons (only kit options)/ twin plasma (other kit options).

The general thinking as has been mentioned above is that you want shield stripping guns (high RoF, low str) and Titan killing guns (High Str, typically lower RoF than shield stripping guns). You can of course ignore all of this and go charging up the middle with a dual fist Reaver, but YMMV.

The recommend list of weapons above generally combines the two types of guns (with the added benefit of all the guns being in the same box). You can of course put dual Gatling Blasters on a Shield Stripping Reaver or as many reactor draining weapons on a Warlord as you can (for those precious "If this is to end in fire, then we shall all burn together" moments). Also Twinferno Warhounds are a thing. Some people swear by them, some people completely ignore them. At the end of the day, it's a giant robot with giant flamethrowers, so that has to count for something.

Looking forward to your thread, when you start it.

I recently started one and I've found it really helps with motivation. I've only got four Titans and I haven't finished any of them yet, but the support from fellow hobbiests really helps me keep going.

Dallo

Reavers are your most flexible platform letting you carry heavy long range (volcano), heavy short range (melta, turbolaser), light long range (Apoc launcher), light short range (Gatling, megabolter), and medium midrange (laserblasters). They’re my favorite.

The Warhound is faster and carries heavy short range (plasma and turbolaser), and light short range (flamer, megabolter) but they can get shredded fairly quickly.

Those are a good place to start.

If memory serves, an especially handsome Frater suggested a pack of Warhounds... :tongue.:

At this point, pick the model which looks coolest and if you never buy anything else, at least you'll have an actual Titan to display proudly. None of the Titans are "bad" in my opinion and they can be used in two (or three) different Maniples, so they don't tie you down too much rules wise. The three different Maniples have different rules. For example, when you take a Reaver and two-four Warhounds, any time a Warhound strips a Titan's shields, the Reaver gets a free shot at it (taking into account facing, range etc). One allows you to keep giving orders if you fail a test and I can't recall the third. I'm sure someone will chime in about them.

With regards to weapons choices, most people recommend magnets. There are a few tutorials about and the Warlord kit is designed with 5mm round magnets in mind.

Having said that, if you just want a no nonsense list of what weapons to glue onto your first Titan(s), you could do worse than the following:

Warhound: Bolter and Plasma

Reaver: Missiles on top, Gatling Blaster and Laser Blaster

Warlord: Missiles and twin Belacosa Volcano Cannons (only kit options)/ twin plasma (other kit options).

The general thinking as has been mentioned above is that you want shield stripping guns (high RoF, low str) and Titan killing guns (High Str, typically lower RoF than shield stripping guns). You can of course ignore all of this and go charging up the middle with a dual fist Reaver, but YMMV.

The recommend list of weapons above generally combines the two types of guns (with the added benefit of all the guns being in the same box). You can of course put dual Gatling Blasters on a Shield Stripping Reaver or as many reactor draining weapons on a Warlord as you can (for those precious "If this is to end in fire, then we shall all burn together" moments). Also Twinferno Warhounds are a thing. Some people swear by them, some people completely ignore them. At the end of the day, it's a giant robot with giant flamethrowers, so that has to count for something.

Looking forward to your thread, when you start it.

I recently started one and I've found it really helps with motivation. I've only got four Titans and I haven't finished any of them yet, but the support from fellow hobbiests really helps me keep going.

Dallo

To be honest, my first thought was that I get the new Warlord, because Emperor Divine, I fell in love with that power gauntlet. I didn't know how good it where in the game, but that machine is just sinister. I love it :wink:  The only thing that hold me back is my uncertainty. But one day I will get him :cool.:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/11/25/coming-next-week-tit

A start collecting box announced. Warlord, reaver and Warhounds. The Warhounds are free! A perfect way to get into the game!

It looks nice, and definitely a great deal, but this box is a bit too big for my first purchase. Simply just to many distraction :smile.:

Reavers are your most flexible platform letting you carry heavy long range (volcano), heavy short range (melta, turbolaser), light long range (Apoc launcher), light short range (Gatling, megabolter), and medium midrange (laserblasters). They’re my favorite.

The Warhound is faster and carries heavy short range (plasma and turbolaser), and light short range (flamer, megabolter) but they can get shredded fairly quickly.

Those are a good place to start.

I think with the Reaver I will wait for the new one. I hope, that all weapon options will be available separately later on.

So should I call for the 'Hounds? 

Yeah call for the hounds - I built and magnetised mine today! Very easy to build just watch out for the feet :P I almost had one doing a cartoon style tip toes sneaking pose haha! Simple to get magnets in too just cut the arm balls down and glue a 5x1mm magnet on.

Axiom Battleline Maniple

Might of the Omnissiah: If a TItan in the maniple fails its command check, the others may still make command checks.

Myrmidion Heavy Maniple

Overwhelming firepower: when issuing first fire or split fire orders the command check is always passed with 2+.

Venator Light Maniple

Opportunistic Strike: If an enemy Titan's shields are collapsed by the Warhounds in the Maniple, the Reaver gets a free shot at the enemy Titan.

Originally from 4Chan. But it is not safe for work as most of the explaining is quite familiar. But I do find you get a lot of information from the site with regards to peoples experiences as they explain it.

That starting set is lovely, its perfect for beginners who want to go strait into competative play and for everyone else by allowing you to bolster your Maniple into optional takes.

So that leaves the final question: which Legion? :lol:

Welcome to the AT craziness TheDreadfulSagitary, good to see more people getting hooked on this game! There is some excellent advice above and the existing range plus the upgrade sprues that are on the way make it highly customisable and, strangely, affordable.

As far as Legio-specific rules go, only two Legion currently get them, Gryffonicus and Tempestus... I cannot reproducers the rules here (against B&C rules) but the incoming expansion Titandeath will undoubtedly cover more...

But the bottom line is, not so much the rules, but what colour scheme you like, or what background is associated with the specific Legio. So what are your thoughts? Are you close to choosing? Is it the God Breakers? :P

So that leaves the final question: which Legion? :laugh.:

Welcome to the AT craziness TheDreadfulSagitary, good to see more people getting hooked on this game! There is some excellent advice above and the existing range plus the upgrade sprues that are on the way make it highly customisable and, strangely, affordable.

As far as Legio-specific rules go, only two Legion currently get them, Gryffonicus and Tempestus... I cannot reproducers the rules here (against B&C rules) but the incoming expansion Titandeath will undoubtedly cover more...

But the bottom line is, not so much the rules, but what colour scheme you like, or what background is associated with the specific Legio. So what are your thoughts? Are you close to choosing? Is it the God Breakers? :tongue.:

Welcome Captain Semper!

That is a great question, but I couldn't answer it right away, as I'm not settled on it right now. I think in the end the legion specific rules wouldn't matter at all for me, only the background and the colours :wink: I didn't even choose on which side I would join the conflickt! You know, I was always a loyalist, but recently I found myself drawn to the traitor side both in 30k and 40k... I think I need to consult with an agent from the Adeptus Ministorum before anything goes wrong...

From a background perspective I like Tempestus and Mortis the most. They are iconic Legions, and the HH novels did a great job on them. Also I like Atarus and Fureans too. To be honest I'm following your work to on the God Breakers, and I found it amazing! :smile.: I don't think that I could do the justice like you, but still, there is a voice in the Manifold, that I might need to look after them...

I want this project to be a little different from all the others I did before. I think the most challenging would be Fureans, because I didn't have experience with yellow...

Archived