When to Introduce Renegade Primaris?

helterskelter

Maybe!

I just think GW can do better. Why would I want to see more repetition across factions, in design or function? Maybe chaos Primaris would be very different, but by virtue of being Primaris they would need to have some similarities - the origin lore, the armour type, the weapon profiles, the general design, a Chaos Repulsor, etc. If you change them TOO much than why bother in the first place?

Copying more units is the most boring and least imaginitive way to grow factions, by far. Chaos Marines need to double down on the fallen 30k Legion theme. Archaic, warp infused weapons and wargear, baroque armour designs, 10 thousand years of poisonous hatred. They are the dark reflection of past glories all but forgotten. That history in itself is a unique hook that a Primaris can't emulate.

Hopefully they won’t introduce chaos primaris. They just need to scale creep the chaos stuff, like they are already doing with DG and the CSM in Blackstone Fortress.

But anyway, we are probably a good few years away from a full Primaris Range, and I can’t see chaos Primaris arriving before that.

I don't think scale creep is a big issue. I don't see anyone in their right mind complaining about "new" chaos marines and how good those models look especially compared to the old stuff. 

That being said: I think the issue is less a fluff problem and more a rules problem. A chaos space marine in no way, shape, or form can stand up to an intercessor in the fluff or on the table top. So even with the upscaling they need to add new units that are substantial such as possessed with proper rules or something equivalent if they don't intend on giving chaos Primaris. 

I want it to happen in a story. I think fallen Primaris have potential.

I don’t want them to have tabletop stats, for the same reason we don’t have rules for chaos sisters or chaotic Tau. They should be quite rare... don’t need a data sheet for them, don’t want to see armies of them.

I'd just include one as an Exalted Champion. I think the idea of a unit of them would lessen the overall shock value, the idea of a single Primaris turning to chaos I think would carry more impact especially if they are supposed to be more resilient to the lure of Chaos. A single guy would be an unthinkable stain on their reputation, squads of them would just come across as nothing special.

I'd just include one as an Exalted Champion. I think the idea of a unit of them would lessen the overall shock value, the idea of a single Primaris turning to chaos I think would carry more impact especially if they are supposed to be more resilient to the lure of Chaos. A single guy would be an unthinkable stain on their reputation, squads of them would just come across as nothing special.

Damn you for stealing my idea I didn't post anywhere! :D

If people want to make the odd CSM HQ out of corrupt Primaris, I think that would be great. It follows that such mighty individuals could claw their way to the top of the heap in a warband. Their new augments could allow them to seize power despite the fact that they are not long in the service of the Chaos gods.

I think never. Attribute whatever lore reason you wish, but I think one thing GW is doing is moving towards differentiating chaos marines from loyalist marines (all armies to some degree in fact). Primaris are using grav repulsors on their vehicles now, rather than tracks like the Imperial guard. So with Loyalists probably going increasingly Primaris, traitors will probably retain older gear, and getting more demonified, or specific chaos deity things. Think of the hellbrute becoming the hellbrute, rather than a "chaos dreadnought". I'm guessing they want to avoid having chaos just be "space marines with spikes".

I'm likely wrong though

The way I see it, they're 'your dudes'. If 'your dudes' are Primaris that have decided to join the ranks of Chaos or even just go renegade for one reason or another then that's cool, GW doesn't need to make official lore stating Primaris can or can't be corrupted or go against the Imperium but IF they decide to let some Primaris go traitor then it doesn't need to be a big thing like Heresy 2.0, it could be a case like chaos inquisitors, sisters and tau where they exist but in small numbers. Hell GW may very well go and say "Yep Fabius created his own".

I would like the option to have some HQ Primaris going renegade, and have an horde of cultists, renegade guard, beasts and mutants as an army. That's the dream.

Serving Slanesh obviously.

Hmmm..... Now that's an idea.... :wink.:

Hmm.... Maybe an Apothecary, Chaplain or Captain....

I would like the option to have some HQ Primaris going renegade, and have an horde of cultists, renegade guard, beasts and mutants as an army. That's the dream.

Hmmm, I do have the 500th store anniversary lieutenant and tons bits waiting to be cultists, spawn and beast men. I like the way you think sir.

Making Primaris Marines 100% immune to chaos is a mistake imo. It removes an element of that "chaos corrupts all" element in 40k. It's boring of chapters are constantly either good or bad, with no chapters being corrupted. That element is key to 40k imo.

If they were to make the Primaris incorruptible, then i think they'd need to introduce some other flaw to prevent them becoming dull as dishwater. Like they did with Stormcast Eternals in Age of Sigmar, they appear incorruptible by Chaos, but their method of creation and recreation has a huge negative impact on them, with it's own affects on their physical form and psychology to the point were some could be considered as bad as Chaos.

Yeah but to be fair you could already consider Marines as bad as Chaos if you're a regular citizen. Not the worst of the chaos and not the best of imperial Marines but the grey middle of both. The 40k universe is a terrible place with no real good guys unlike AoS which has its fair share of terrible-ness (mainly with the new Aelve factions) but also a bunch of classic good guys. ^^

I should clarify, i meant the negative side effects are as bad as the mutations and effects of exposure to the Warp, not the behavior.

Could be as simple as the character creation rules, since Primaris are basically just +1 Attack and Wound, just add those to your chosen chaos HQ. The only downside is the lack of Chaos Apothecaries outside the Plague Surgeon.

Never. There's no reason Chaos needs to get every bell and whistle that the Imperium has ... and some folks really need to look up the definition of Mary Sue. There is no reason every thing in the Imperium should fall to Chaos. :sick:

Where are the Chaos Tau?

Where are the Chaos Orks?

Where are the Chaos Sisters of Battle, to use a very entrenched faction of the Imperium?

Why aren't we discussing Chaos Custodes? If they get a pass then so do my Primaris. :wallbash:

Hands off :facepalm:

Sorry guys, I like the Primaris represent the possibility of taking a stand against corruption. There's enough corruption in out real lives I'd like to see someone standing strong against the tide threatening humanity ... and while I'm a Grey Knight fan they don't work for me because as a militant arm of the Inquisition (see my username guys) they're part of a corrupt institution. :whistling:

In the lore there is chaos orks, sisters, guard, and I believe Tau recently had a entry about them being corrupted. Hell even necron are affected by Nurgle now. They just don't have chaosified models.

Custodes are a bit different in the way they are made, treated, trained, just about everything. I wouldn't be surprised if there was chais corrupted Custodes. Actually didn't the emperor put a daemon in a Custodes and told him to run before the daemon corrupted him?

No big E specifically put the daemon in the custodes as they were incorruptible. The daemon even mentions earlier on that the stars would all have died before it managed to corrupt a custodes.

As for Primaris, I dont mind if we hear mention in the lore that 1 or 2 turn traitor etc but I would prefer if it was so small a number that we never see them on the tt. I like that imperial marines and chaos marines are different. I hope they do what they did to deathguard to the other chaos legions. Makes them unique. They can then further primarisify the Imperial Marines making them unique too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully they won’t introduce chaos primaris. They just need to scale creep the chaos stuff, like they are already doing with DG and the CSM in Blackstone Fortress.

But anyway, we are probably a good few years away from a full Primaris Range, and I can’t see chaos Primaris arriving before that.

I think this is the best guess. If they do fullscale CSM, it'd be more like "Chosen Possessed" or something and they'll just so happen to be Primaris sized but a different enough unit that CSM have their own thing.

I see primaris as an opportunity fir chaos marines to scale up and represent the "benefit" of falling to chaos. It was the only difference between chaos and loyal marines was chaos was spikey. They showed with the new deathguard models an upscaling and some really good disgustingness.

This should be carried across all the chaos marine range. They dont need primaris because Chaos IS their +1. GW just has to execute it across the range.

Primaris are to be the answer to equal chaos marines....in my head anyways.

That said. Chaos corrupts. Its believable fir at least some to succumb- especially with how big and bad chaos is supposed to be now with a galaxy spanning warp storm.

No need for fallen models; can just be lore and story.

Archived