[WiP] Slow Advance- Iron Hands plog

Stix

Thanks mate, really nice to hear that!

That campaign sounds super cool and I can really recomend going for The Iron Tenth! I have not tested yet how they perform on the battlfield (still have not played a single game in 30k :D ) but Iron Hands are so lucky to be one of the first Legion to get their minis. You now, when FW actually was giving some :censored: about HH. Painting them is such a pleasure (except for shoulder pads and backpacks, I hate painting them, so boring!).  And lorewise Xth was preaty close to XVI and warmaster held IH in very high esteem so they could be fluffy allied detachment for your Luna Wolves. :wink:  I was actullay thinking about fluff of my army and one of ideas is having large portion of my marines veterans of Castignation of Terentius (hence Eye of Horus on some of my Gorgons knee pads). But acording to allies matrix SoH trust IH more then the other way around :D

Varnish definitly tones it down (that's what oil wash in my recipe does) but then I reapply it and it sticks quite nicely (although I have to remind that they have not been rubbed in game conditions ;) ) Worst case scenario you can reapply it if it rubbs off some places after few games. It is super quick process. 

When it comes to white: airbrush mix of white with a little bit of olive green (I am using vallejo us loam), then add more white to the mix and highlight it (again- airbrush). Than apply AK interactive grey brown winter streaking grime, when it is dry, using q-tip dipped in enamel thinner wipe most of it. Than you can edge highlight it with white (sometimes I skip that) and add light sponge chipping with dark brown or black.

Thanks again :)

Oh man, the combination black and white on them with almost inverses of one another is too good not too try.  Yeash, I never considered it before but it feels perfect.  Excellent notion about the Terentius Castegation, I was gonna ask that and it got lost in some of me ol' jumbled thoughts.  It's seriously incredibly good and feels perfect for the Iron Tenth.... yeaaaah I think you sold it, I'll likely be workin' some up next year or so then :P 

Aye, I definitely get ya when it comes to the oils, it does that with my SoH, too (aaaah the allies matrix... I love that thing, it's kinda funny how much it reveals of inter-legion suppositions).  Really ties a lot together but almost singly it's the most important unifying 'touch' after the final varnish.  I may have to see if there's an adhesive as I heard graphite works real well for plate scratches, too.  

Dude, yeah I'm gonna have to try that.  It's a seriously great combination and very very striking.  Thanks a ton on that method for white.  (loam.  Ugh, so much easier than me trying to remember if I need pale grey blue or light blue green.... Valljeo...hmmmph).  

Surprised you haven't done up a leggy dread boy yet.  But man, you nailed it: one of the first to get their unique troops and they knocked 'em out of the park.  And you absolutely did them justice, so thanks agian my dude.  Seriously, it's always great seeing an update. :) 

Thanks. I am will make dreadnought, it is in my ZM army list. The problem is that I love boxnought and I am not huge fan of contemptor mini. It feels to me that having marine hidden behind just thin visor in sarcophagus is more intimidating than sticking his head in front of huge ball :biggrin.: But I am let to believe that not taking cortus which is only few points more expensive than box is not the smartest idea. So my pla is to make classic ironclad with magnet in waist so i could put him on some taller legs if i would like to proxy it as cortus.

Meanwhile, I have small wip update (again, colors inspired by amazing work of @Cadmus Tyro) :

gallery_101573_15121_2024913.jpg

Edited by Stix

Immortals with white shields look cracking, you've done a solid job weathering and dirtying down the white there, too.

I agree with you on the topic of the Ironclad versus Contemptor chassis, the FW Ironclad is just such a beast of a model.

I was planning on doing my own clan, I even started designing my own clan symbol but then decided that it is much easier and cheaper (for decals etc.) to just use existing Clan. So I went for Raukaan (I know, it is like Ultramarines of Iron Hands but I was not the one who had the final call. I picked 3 clan symbols that I liked the most and my partner choose the one out of three presented  :D ).  However, because of how Xth legion's orders system works, in the future I can  add some units form other clans to my 3rd order making my own, small, a little bit forgotten splinter of the legion :wink:

Edited by Stix

Hey Y'all!

Poked by Vykes I decided to finally start working on some dreadnought. Here is WiP of my old rescue Ironclad. That is beautifull, 100% grimdark model which I love. I love it so much that I am planning to use it both as boxnought and cortus instead of FW contemptors (not huge fan of orginal contemptors models, look kinda goofy to my eye :D ). The problem is that I need second pair of legs, something higher that I could use for cortus. I am torn between Blood & Skull posable dreadnought legs and IW Iron Circle Domitar legs (I have seen conversion like that, looks extra rad!). Any opinions or other ideas? :) Another question I have is for those who, unlike me, play the game. Both are gonna be used in ZM list with Immortals and Gorgons. What arms should I get for them? kited for CC or 50/50? help! :D

gallery_101573_15121_818910.jpg

Oh, I have WiP of my Rhino too:

gallery_101573_15121_1323610.jpg

What an Iron Handy update, dread and tank! :D

Cheers!

Nice update, the legion symbol on the sarcophagus ties the dread in well. The segmented armour of the Ironclad is such a cool detail. Cracking work on the Rhino paint job too.

In terms of arming the dread, I imagine that the flamestorm or plasma cannon would get a lot of work done. Similarly, a chain fist could be a good idea, as other dreads will likely pop up.

1st Tactical Squad "Resh" in front of it's dedicated transport- Deimos Pattern Rhino Armoured Carrier "Triturus 1", Order Tertii, Clan Raukaan, Xth Legion-Iron Hands, ca. 003.M31

gallery_101573_15121_470555.jpg

gallery_101573_15121_1868085.jpg

And closeup of my Legion vexilla. I know that lack of head protection is at least irresponsible in real world, but from modelling perspective, it adds a little bit of variety to otherwise boring tactical squad.

gallery_101573_15121_1179085.jpg

Edited by Stix

• 2 weeks later...

Medusan Immortals squad "Samech", Order Tertii, Clan Raukaan, Xth Legion-Iron Hands, ca. 004.M31

gallery_101573_15121_76503.jpg

And here is shot of my whole army so far- fruit of work in 2019 (at least part that was not scrubbed down to the bare resin/plastic in some point). Quality of light on pic is not the best but they don't fit to my small lightbox so I had to work with some normal lamps.

gallery_101573_15121_1580820.jpg

There is still a little bit of work to be done here (bolters on tanks, one arm of dreadnought, need to fix some shoulder pads) but to finish my 1000pts ZM list I need only 1 hq, 1 more terminator and 1 tactical marine (it turns out I can't count). So probably couple of months. Maybe not the best speed but I am pretty happy with what I have done this year. Hope next is gonna be good too for all of us (and 30k). :)

• 3 weeks later...

Cool, thanks! What is next? I am taking part in L&T this year, I vowed another vindicator, another Rhino, and Land Raider. I think Orth is also on top of my list (just simple conversion of Narik Dreygur). Oh, I have also won this amazing tru scale Sons of Medusa termi from imperius_tebax over on IG:

DSC04331

So I am gonna try give him a justice :)